Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just got my bike robbed...

Options
  • 26-05-2005 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

cheek of some people, thats the second bike in 6 months. thing is ive often seen scumbags checking locks on bikes, just outside that security placy thing at the back of the paddocks. tried to talk em out of it by saying there was a security gaurd coming (poor i know) but he told me exactly what he's like to do to me, such filth from something thats pretty much a child! so...anyone got any bikes lying around i can buy off them? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

/me cycles past on 'new' bike whistling innocently ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Baffled

Ya poor thing. Honestly, some people dont deserve a life. Next time ya should leave something sticking out of the saddle. Like a nine inch rusty nail or something. That'd teach em!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

Baffled wrote:
    Ya poor thing. Honestly, some people dont deserve a life. Next time ya should leave something sticking out of the saddle. Like a nine inch rusty nail or something. That'd teach em!
    thanks for the sympathy, kaimera, im closing in on you!! its a bit of a b*tch, but im leaving the country soon anyway. oooh, maybe if we get everybody on this forum to donate €1, i can eventually get a new bike !

anyone?

no?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Or slightly loosen the nuts and bolts at the front wheel. Enough that when they steal it it looks perfect but after a few turns of the pedals, it parts from the bike and the little MoFo goes flying over the haddle bars! They'll be going at some speed getting away from the area it should do some damage! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Once again, security in UL earn a hard days wages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

A friend of mine got his bike stolen once, and since then, he cycles in with three locks in his bag, and puts them on the bike once he gets in. And im not sure, but i think he takes the saddle off and keeps it in his bag during the day.

A friend of mine got his bike stolen once, and since then, he cycles in with three locks in his bag, and puts them on the bike once he gets in. And im not sure, but i think he takes the saddle off and keeps it in his bag during the day.
    i have seen that bike, and i always wondered!!
    ul security, dont get me started, they are useless. stop breaking up parties and run the knackers off campus!

There are probably a few of them around! Yeah, the security guards could do with a kick up the arse.

But look at them, theyre all too old! If 1 or 2 guards came across a bunch of knackers robbing bikes, what could they do? They dont have weapons, and if they called for backup, itd take another security guard half an hour to fit into a car and drive to wherever attention is needed.

yeah i know, we need some zesty new younger ones...with stun guns! and...flashier vans...

then id feel my beloved bike was safe...
    i really miss it, i used it all the time...*sniff*

Or if theyre going to remain old, shave their heads and give them moustaches! That should intimidate the little scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

you poor thing, look at it this way, its your/my birthday again this Sat, and Im off work for four days! Woop woop! The bike thing will sort itself out. I have a spare one but it wouldnt fit in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cork Boy wrote:
    Once again, security in UL earn a hard days wages!
    Bet the f*clers get a percent of the profits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

my flatmate brought his bike up from home a few months ago on the sunday and the bike got robbed on the monday, went to village manager to ask if he should report it to the gardai, she laughed him out of the building, bikes being robbed behind the paddocks/shop area is endemic.

UL security are usless as a whole, theres always yanks outside my building talking and making ruckus at all hours of the night but do security do anything?, do they fcuk.

joejoem wrote:
    you poor thing, look at it this way, its your/my birthday again this Sat, and Im off work for four days! Woop woop! The bike thing will sort itself out. I have a spare one but it wouldnt fit in the car.
    yeah like a bike u own would ever be the right size for me u giant! thanks for the offer tho.

re: campus security, ul is too broad for them to police everything adequately, as much as we dont want our parties shut down, we do still want to feel we're not going to be robbed/flashed/raped. all these things have happened! recently! the ulsu should review it, or are they already?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Weird. Was on my way home yesterday and this 2 guys shot out in front of me on bikes ;while a guy was chasing them on foot screaming (i was busy avoiding the scumbag instead of giving him the buisness end of a car) Obvousily you werent the alone in bein a victim. Was it around 6ish by any chance.

Poor you. Security is fairly lax around college but by the security hut itself:eek:
    Hope you reported this to SU and freaked out accordingly

Nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Question:

Have UL any liability in this, given they provide a parking space for the bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

this campus is crap for security. 3 guys in my class have had their cars broken into over the last 3 weeks. down by the schuman. sorry to hear that keevita! ill buy u a pint on saturday, ill just wonder around the stables and ask all the girls are they keevita until i find ya!! happy birthday to u to joejoem!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elley

Question:

Have UL any liability in this, given they provide a parking space for the bikes?

Nope, cars and bikes are parked at owners risk, usual story.

Elley wrote:
    Nope, cars and bikes are parked at owners risk, usual story.

Which in my view should be changed. If the security is there and we pay fees to have them and all that camera equipment there and then they turn around and say "not our problem" ha. Would love to see what happened if it was a lecturers car.

Nukem

In fairness lecturers cars have been robbed and burnt out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Mmmm never realised robbery was such a big problem!

Anywhoo i'll be down in the scholars tonight me thinks.

I'll be wearing half white/half blue top, and will be hanging about with a person, who, in all probablility will be wearing a metallica hoodie!

Not that anyone here cares!

Have a good night now!

lucky things! i have a 9am lect 2m morn, just been passing thru the stables courtyard n everyone is getting drunk...grrr. have fun people....

Peteee wrote:
    Mmmm never realised robbery was such a big problem!

Anywhoo i'll be down in the scholars tonight me thinks.

I'll be wearing half white/half blue top, and will be hanging about with a person, who, in all probablility will be wearing a metallica hoodie!

Not that anyone here cares!

Ya should a posted earlier - was in the pub earlier.Woulda be the one knocking pints back like it was goin outta fashion. Ah bugger it anways. Must organize a Boards UL night nxt yr.

Nukem

PS:hope everyones exams went well :D (Il be back for one repeat i reckon)
    Stay well kids and enjoy your exam p"iss up!!!!!!!!

boards ul nite sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

awww, boo. i wont be here. although im around UL till October so if u have one before then id be up for it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

My bike got robbed... by campus security.

It was locked onto that pole (about 12ft high) in the plaza along the wall from the main entrance. I reported it to a security guy and he gave out to me for parking it in a place that apparently you're not allowed to park it in. So I gave out to him saying that there was no indication anywhere that bikes aren't allowed to be parked there - there aren't any signs or other type of indication anywhere. After giving him a bit of a bollicking he apologised to me and lead me to one of the small rooms by EG010 where there were about 5 bikes and various other confiscated items.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭zachler

This was just sent around:

> Theft from and of cars and bicycles is occurring on campus. Please do not
    > leave any valuables on display in cars.
    >
    > For older model cars, the use of deterrents such as steering locks is
    > advisable.
    >
    > Bicycles should be secured using high quality one piece U-Locks as
    > standard chains with padlocks are being cut.
    >
    > Increased security patrols are continuing.
    >
    >
    > BUILDINGS AND ESTATES DEPT.

aw, i shoulda checked my staff mail account, at least i would have been warned. bikey...i miss u... it takes ages to walk places...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

keevita wrote:
    thanks for the sympathy, kaimera, im closing in on you!! its a bit of a b*tch, but im leaving the country soon anyway. oooh, maybe if we get everybody on this forum to donate €1, i can eventually get a new bike !

anyone?

no?
    would you pay 99 from a brand new bike?

Advertisement