Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selective boards reading...

Options
  • 26-05-2005 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

I like to scan all new boards threads - reading whats relevant to me. However, as boards becomes more and more popular - and more sections are opened within it, I find that it takes longer to trawl through - sometimes trawling through stuff that I wouldnt be remotely interested in.

Is it possible to change settings so that when I hit 'new posts', it just brings up posts from certain sections eg. if i had no interest in the 'archery' board, then no new posts from this section would be listed.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Thats a good idea, kind of like putting a forum on your ignore list so to speak. Im in the same situation, this site is getting so big lately a feature like this could be alot of help now and probably even more so in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

You mean like a subbed list?

Just subscribe to forums.
    Also this

Like that but not having to actually subscribe to a thread or forum, just be able to view "new posts" but only view threads from forums that he/she decided were of interest.

kinkstr wrote:
    ..but only view threads from forums that he/she decided were of interest.
    ...by like, doing something that would let people know you're interested in them like, like subscribing to them!

Or maybe you should wait until vbulletin supports telepathy.

Imposter wrote:
    ...by like, doing something that would let people know you're interested in them like, like subscribing to them!

Or maybe you should wait until vbulletin supports telepathy.

telepathy would be handy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

kinkstr wrote:
    Like that but not having to actually subscribe to a thread or forum, just be able to view "new posts" but only view threads from forums that he/she decided were of interest.
    That's pretty much exactly what clicking "Subscribe to this forum" does....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Correct me if i'm wrong imposter, but the current subscription feature just allows for the subscription to specific threads as opposed to sections?
    Still have to read new posts to see whats going on..

If it would be possible to subscribe to the subsections from the user CP and then pull up a list of 'new posts' from these sections - I think this would be beneficial to a lot of boardsters.

However, I understand that boards.ie can only work within the limitations of the bulletin board software - so I'd imagine if its not a feature of the software, it cant be implemented....but if it is feasible, it would be very useful.

ok, i'm not really understanding you.

You can subscribe to a thread or also to a forum. See the subbed list on the drop down bar up top. That has all your subbed forums. Threads in subbed forums and also individually subbed threads show up in the subbed pages I linked to earlier. You possibly also get an email if something changes in a subbed thread.

Ok, i see the subbed threads but i'm not feeling all to clever here cos I don't seem to understand how to subscribe to a whole section/forum.

Do I add the name of the section/forum to the form shown in the screen snapshot attached?

<EDIT>cant add image right now..file too big!</EDIT>

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

At the top of each forum, there is a forum tools option on the right of the page. Click that then click Subscribe to this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think he wants to subscribe to a catagory?

at least, thats what im thinking when he says 'section'

feylya wrote:
    At the top of each forum, there is a forum tools option on the right of the page. Click that then click Subscribe to this forum.
    The penny spun round a good while but has dropped now!
    I've been on boards over 2 years and never noticed that 'forum tools' box.. Right, I can subscribe to all the relevant forums now!

Thanks for that folks.

Well, I tried it out and it doesn't really work for me. I can see it being useful for someone with a specific interest in maybe a handful of forums - but for me, its a case of taking out a handful and scanning through the rest.
    Its a shame vBulletin don't offer the possibility of gearing the 'new posts' feature around subscribed forums - pulling up a list of the new/updated threads for these forums only..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

erm, regi or cloud or someone wrote a webpage that did exactly that i think...or you can just click the subbed thing over the new posts on the front page.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Eurorunner wrote:
    ...no interest in the 'archery' board...
    :eek: I'm sorry, I was following you up to this point, then you stopped making sense.

crash_000 wrote:
    erm, regi or cloud or someone wrote a webpage that did exactly that i think...or you can just click the subbed thing over the new posts on the front page.
    Would be class if they have..
    crash_000 wrote:
    ...or you can just click the subbed thing over the new posts on the front page.
    If i click that it lists all the forums I have subbed - i would have to go through them all individually. Theres also a tab for subbed threads - but it just shows threads that I have replied to previously.
    oscarBravo wrote:
    I'm sorry, I was following you up to this point, then you stopped making sense.
    I suppose it was far from the best example. Although I can't see myself getting into that (never say never, i suppose), I'd have someones eye out :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Did you look at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subbed.php that was linked to previously?

ecksor wrote:
    Did you look at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subbed.php that was linked to previously?
    Apparently not! :rolleyes:

Thanks ecksor.

Advertisement