Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting

• 26-05-2005 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭

i want to be able to host a website on my own equipment, i have IBB & a USR8054 Router how do i set this up

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

ok first of all, what speed connection you got? Secondly you need to set up a web server - the router has nothing to do with it all it does is connect the different machines to together as in a network and distribute net access. If your only got 128 up you can forget a hosting a web site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

i have 1m/1m IBB Breeze, i have a email & webserver setup on the lan side of the router my problem seems to be connectivity from the outside world via the router to the internal lan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

forward port 80, 110, 443 to your server computer ( via tcp ) and 23 if running an smtp relay
    for ftp, forward port 21
    you may also need to forward 8080 sometimes, as this is a 'backup' port for webservers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

JNive wrote:
    you may also need to forward 8080 sometimes, as this is a 'backup' port for webservers.
    8080 is used by tomcat with default install
    It is not used normally by apache or IIS unless you specify it in the config

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I would start by just forwarding 23, 80 and 443 - you will need to set your router to forward these to the server's IP. What sort of email server do you have? You are better off using SSH and port-forwarding as mail access passwords are transmitted in cleartext. You could also try setting up an SSL-enabled E-Mail server.

You won't need 8080 unless you want a special website or Apache Tomcat to use it. I would advise against opening Tomcat to the outside world, better to use the AJP connector in Apache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

do you have a static ip address from Irish Broadband? If not you wont be able to map a domain name to your computer/router - if not you can prob obtain one from them - they'll prob charge more for this then a hosting company for an entire hosting package - depends what your trying to do of course

its prob far less hassle and cheaper to go third party hosted - you can get hosting very cheaply now - try someone like http://www.hostingireland.ie/

they start at 30 quid a year and this covers support, security, hardware etc.... if its just html hosting shop around you'll find even cheaper hosters for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

JNive wrote:
    and 23 if running an smtp relay
    I think you mean port 25 for smtp. 23 is telnet.

do you have a static ip address from Irish Broadband? If not you wont be able to map a domain name to your computer/router - if not you can prob obtain one from them - they'll prob charge more for this then a hosting company for an entire hosting package - depends what your trying to do of course

I don't know about IBB's policies on fixed IPs, but Netsource doesn't charge anything extra for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

ooops lol, you got me there :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

blacknight wrote:
    I don't know about IBB's policies on fixed IPs, but Netsource doesn't charge anything extra for them.
    From what i see with our clients on ibb static ips are given no charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Blitz wrote:
    From what i see with our clients on ibb static ips are given no charge

nice... eircom charge a fair bit i think

Eircom charge something like €150 if my memory serves me well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

nah.

The IP's are free on the enhanced package.

There is a 50 euro one off charge on all the other packages.

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

ips are free on eircom business bb packs

Advertisement