Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing Rear Brake Pads

Options
  • 26-05-2005 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have experience with changing brake pads?

I'd like to change the rear brake pads on my 00 Nissan Primera I'm confident that I can do and have the tools I just need to buy the brake pads from halfords or a motor factors.

But I can't find a decent guide on the internet for this after googling for hours, does anyone have one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

would it be worth investing in a Hyanes manual for the car?, everytime i get a car, i buy the Haynes for it, highly reccomend them. check out your local motor factors or online www.haynes.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I would buy Haynes Manual but they don't have one for my primera just the previous model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Im guessing here that your Primera has Drum/Shoe brakes for the rear. If they are they can be very tricky to change.

1. Clamp the brake pipe
    2. Removing the various spring and clips
    3. Remove the Handbrake cable
    4. Prior to all this you may need to adjust the brake wheel adjustor to remove the
    drum.
    5. Then its just the reverse putting it all back together
    6. You may need to adjust the brake adjustor to get the drum back on
    7. After the wheels on you may need to adjust the brake again

If I were you, Id bring the car to a garage, brakes are not worth messing with unless you really know what your talking about. Your risking your life messing with them! I used to work in a garage and I hated touching brakes their such a pain, especially rear ones.

Save yourself the trouble and bring it to a mechanic you trust!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

dont know if this helps, but seems to be pretty comprehensive

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/howto/articles/43787/article.html

not for a primera, but the procedure should be pretty much the same

(only difference i noted is for the rear brake pistons sometime they are adjusted in by turning them, depending on the type of automatic handbrake adjustment the car uses)

one of those things that if the above link makes sence to you, you should have no real problems, if the instructions sound like trying to build a mini space shuttle then perhaps a visit to the garage is in order.

Another option would be to ask the mechanic can he show you how to do it, so you would know for the next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

thanks edumd_F that link looks good I've read it and I think I can do the job, Silas I have disc brakes on the rear of my Primera.

I'm going to take a rear wheel off tonight and have a good look at it see what type of arrangement the pab, calibar and disc is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement