Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative to Penalties

• 26-05-2005 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

After last night and last Saturday someone really need to come up with a fairer way of deciding the result. The better team lost both matches, I don't think even the most hardened Liverpool and Arsenal fans could argue with that(I am sure they will though :D ).

Surely its fairer to at least have a replay first, a replay of last nights would be great, if only to see what both managers learned from the first match.

The golden goal didn't work, if anything extra time got more negative with both sides.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Extra-time Multiball!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Certainly in the FA Cup I don't understand why they don't have 1 replay and then penalites. That'd be too arkward for the CL final where supporters tickets have to be distributed, fans generally have to book flights to a foreign country etc. Penalites doesn't seem fair but there's not much more I can think of that does tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

nothing wrong with penalties deciding the game imo, after giving teams 120 minutes to win a game on a full pitch without a decider then a penalty is a perfectly acceptable means to settle it, penalties are a distilled test of the key skills of the game, kicking the ball towards the goal and stopping it going in.

replays are a nuisance for fans and often for the teams involved, particularly if a final is mid-season etc. sure the losing team may often fancy another chance to settle it, but as a test of footballing skills and individuals' mentality under pressure, there's nothing wrong with it, look at how many are missed or saved,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

TheMonster wrote:
    After last night and last Saturday someone really need to come up with a fairer way of deciding the result. The better team lost both matches, I don't think even the most hardened Liverpool and Arsenal fans could argue with that(I am sure they will though :D ).

Surely its fairer to at least have a replay first, a replay of last nights would be great, if only to see what both managers learned from the first match.

The golden goal didn't work, if anything extra time got more negative with both sides.

Shut up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

TheMonster wrote:

How can you say the better teams lost?! If they were the better team they would have scored more goals and won. The object of the game is to score goals, it doesn't matter how you do it, how much posession you have, how good or bad your players are, once you get more goals then the other team you win.Its like Holland V Italy in Euro 2000, holland outplayed italy for the whole game, but didn't get the goals. Italy just hung back, got their penalties and through they went. Does that make them a worse team?
    Milan and Liverpool had equal numbers of goals after the game and extra time, it doesn't matter which looked prettier during the game, penalties is as good a way as any, after all, again its about scoring goals. I wouldn't be against a replay (if it was more feasibly possible - would make sense in FA cup) but penalties could still be needed. Yes theres a smidge of luck involved, every bounce of the ball could go a slightly different way - such is life, but in the end as everyone always says, it evens out.

And whats peoples idea that Milan have a divine right to win the CL, is it just cause they're a foreign team that by name we know to be class? cause they've had a lot of horific displays in the league this year. I know liverpool were obviously far worse, but its a cup compitition and liverpool were better in it hands down this year. They didn't lose a single game. Milan did. Therefore Liverpool are champions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

TheMonster wrote:

There was a good reason for the golden goal not working is that it wasnt goalden goal extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I have to admit that i would perfer for the game to be sorted on the field of play so to speak.

Perhaps after golden goal is the way to go.. and just keep playing extra time in 15min halves..

Last night in the second half of extra time it seemed Liverpool were playing for penos..

Failing that they could always play dodgeball or murder ball (my personal fav :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Shut up!
    touched a nerve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

thread starter sounds bitter tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I like golden goal extra time. Gives moments like Trezuguets goal ending the match but penalties are still the most nail biting possible way to end a match.

The best option imo is two 15 minute halves of golden goal extra time (ie sudden death, next goal the winner etc. - none of this silver goal crap) then penalties until a winner is decided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Extra-time Multiball!! :D
    My god, that's the best idea in the universe! That'd be incredible to watch :)

Except you'd need two tellies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Balfa wrote:
    My god, that's the best idea in the universe! That'd be incredible to watch :)

Except you'd need two tellies :)
    its SoccerTainment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Mossy Monk wrote:

Precisely. Probably wasn't complaining when Milan beat Juve on penalties in the CL final two season ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Ardent wrote:
    Precisely. Probably wasn't complaining when Milan beat Juve on penalties in the CL final two season ago...
    That's silly, no-one likes to see a match go to penalties. Especially the losing side, yeah. But I was neutral for the CL final, and I would have preferred it not to go to penalties.

In the CL final two seasons ago, I was up for Juve, and when they lost it was a real disappointment. But it was a disappointment this year as well, for me as a neutral observer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

~Rebel~ wrote:
    They didn't lose a single game. Milan did. Therefore Liverpool are champions.
    They lost to that Greek team away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Brian017 wrote:
    They lost to that Greek team away.

and to monaco, but he probaly meant in the knockout stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

TheMonster wrote:
    After last night and last Saturday someone really need to come up with a fairer way of deciding the result.

If Man United had one their penalty shootout and Milan theirs something tells me you wouldn't have posted this thread , bitter IMHO .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Big Ears wrote:
    If Man United had one their penalty shootout and Milan theirs something tells me you wouldn't have posted this thread , bitter IMHO .
    Prob not and if you read my post in full you would know why :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

I have to agree penalties is the worst way to lose a game (Ireland v Spain WC 2002) but as was already said if you can't win the game in 120 minutes you can't really complain. :D

and to monaco, but he probaly meant in the knockout stages.

Indeed i did, sorry should have said leg instead of game, would've been clearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Of course they do, every single Man Utd fan and Milan fan is annoyed abotu penos right now, and if it had been the other way around Arsenal and Liverpool fans would be annoyed about penos right now.
    That said, I don't think theres much you can do about it.
    Although I'd love to see infinity football, i.e. keep playing until one team scores :)
    That'd be legendary

Infinity Football..i like it.
    cramps everywhere, half the team on the ground. Would come down to the keepers doing runs down the pitch at each other as would be fittest people left with everyone else dying! Can you imagine what Jamie Carragher would have been like if he'd had to play another 15minutes?! Still woulda been throwin in the last ditch tackles knowing him tho..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A previous poster said it right. If a team hasn't won outright after 120 minutes, then penalties is the way to go. And again to quote another poster, it is a distilled version of the game, kick ball at goal and try to score.

In fairness, this was a champions league final where 6 goals were scored during play. Where one team fought back from 3-0 down, regardless of who you support, how can anyone say this is proof that liverpool were not the better team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

You really can.
    Liverpool were amazing for 15 minutes of the second half.
    Milan were for the first half.

I don't think you can say that either team were better, hence why it ended at 3-3

Advertisement