Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wrote off car

Options
  • 26-05-2005 2:11pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had a car which was in a crash, the other persons insurance company arrived, assessed and determined X amount of damage.
    They decided that the car should be wrote off so gave me the money of what they valued the car and left us the car, told me to bring it to a scrap yard where we would get X amount.
    I got a call from their assessor and he said to me that he was suprised I had not put the car back on the road. thought it strange.

The car was sitting up and I got an offer to by "as is", which I find to be a good offer.,
    But what is the status of this car now, is it wrote off officially or since I did not scrap it is it ok to sell to this guy?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i thought legally that if the insurance company declares it wrote off and pays you the vaue then it actually becomes their car.

if they then gave the car back to you,
    rather than scrapping it themsleves, which is there responsibility, i would guess its your to do with as you please.

get written confirmation from the insurance company that they dont want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hmmm,
    That is a dilly of a pickle.

Normally the insurance company become the official owner of the car after a write off, or if it is stolen, and you receive a payout.

never heard of your situation before, try ringing the insurance company?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You would have to find out for sure off your insurance company [possibly in writing] but I suspect they just paid out the value of the car to close the case.
    Also double check with your local motor tax office to see what status they have for the car but I don't think it can be officially scrapped without the owner notifying them of this in writing

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

similar thing happened my dad when he was towing a trailer and was in a single vehicle accident. His insurance company wrote off his car but he had to sell it for the remaining amount that they valued it to be worth at the time. i.e. if total cost was 20k and his damaged car was worth 8k they write a cheque for 12k... get it?

this is what happened and mechanics were falling over their feet to buy it off him, had to be a VAT registered sale as it was a company car, but seemingly this is the norm. You need to sell the car as a damaged repairable and pocket the cash as the insurance company has already allowed for this.

It is usually only "written off" if the insurance company think it will cost too much to repair but usually it can be done so quite a bit less than their estimate...

The insurance company will only 'write off' a vehicle if:

The Cost of Repair is more than 50% of the current value of the vehicle.

AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Gibo - that makes sense alright, they valued the car at 3k, they said the scrappage would give us 300 euro so they sent me a cheque for 2700 euro.
    I think if I have officially not sent back the "change of owner" form declaring a write off it is stil officially on the road and not wrote off.

I should really have no issue with it then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

yop wrote:
    Gibo - that makes sense alright, they valued the car at 3k, they said the scrappage would give us 300 euro so they sent me a cheque for 2700 euro.
    I think if I have officially not sent back the "change of owner" form declaring a write off it is stil officially on the road and not wrote off.

I should really have no issue with it then
    the car remains yours to do with as you wish, the insurance company has given the difference between before crash and now, ie the amount of loss who have suffered. It's up to do to sell on the car, as scrapped or crashed/repairable.

When I had a claim after a write off, the insurance company, AXA, sent me a letter confirming all this, and in my case had arranged for a scrap yard to take the car. They advised be that I could accept this, or sell it to another scrap yard. It just mentioned that my disposal should be don legally. I took this to mean not illegally dumped. But the car remained my possession until I sold it on. Not the insurance company's.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

just another question in realtion to the car.

IF you have the back of the car, boot well to be precise, has to be put in a jig and pulled out due to a rear end could this be a potential issue when doing the NCT????

One garage, out of 5, told me that they would have to cut out the boot well and put a new one in as "this would be an issue in the NCT if we pulled the back out using a jig"

New one to me

So the OP can sell the car to a scrap yard, to be broken and sold in parts etc.

But what if someone buys the car to put it back on the road?
    Would there be a problem registering it (if the insurance company has it listed as scrapped), or even insuring it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Not sure if this is quite the same thing but I bought a 91 Polo a number of years back that had 'officially' been written off...as part of the scrappage scheme. Once I had confirmed it was roadworthy etc it was just a case of calling the Motor taxation people, in this case it wasnt Shannon it was the office in Chancery Street Dublin 7 that apparently at that time dealt with such an issue.

Even though they had it listed as scrapped, they were happy enough to issue a new VLC to me and had it in approx 2 weeks. No issue with insurance company either. (this was approx 4 years ago though :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

My Honda Civic was stolen in '96 and written off by the insurance company.
    The chassis of the car was obviously damaged as the passenger side wheels were at 45 degree angles to the car / road.

The car was towed to a Honda dealer who found someone to buy it. He rang the insurance company, made them an offer and wrote me a cheque. The insurance company paid the rest. I have no idea what happened to the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

yop wrote:
    just another question in realtion to the car.

IF you have the back of the car, boot well to be precise, has to be put in a jig and pulled out due to a rear end could this be a potential issue when doing the NCT????

One garage, out of 5, told me that they would have to cut out the boot well and put a new one in as "this would be an issue in the NCT if we pulled the back out using a jig"

New one to me

suppose it depends on how much chassis damage there is. i had to have my car pulled straight after i lost it into a kerb in heavy rain. buckled the firewall and suspension turret on the front passenger side. since then it's been through the nct and the only things they pulled me up on were a torn cv boot and an unsecured flexible brake pipe.

Advertisement