Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smart wireless modem

• 26-05-2005 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

any ideas what the make and model of the wireless modem that smart ship with their broadband offering for eur140? and is it any good, and if not, what i should get instead and from where?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Its the Huawei Aolynk WDR814g. PDF

cant find any reviews though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Well whatever else you might get make sure it supports ADSL2.

I don't have the wireless router but I'd say the standard one is roughly the same. I've found it pretty solid overall though not as easy to configure as the likes of a netgear or the other brand names out there.

You need to specifically open certain ports on the firewall to get some of the standard web-browsing functionality (mind you this is not actually a bad thing). For instance https is blocked by default unless you open up the appropriate port.

The router supplied comes with Ehternet and USB options which is not something I've seen before. Probably not so much of an issue if its wireless of course. I have it hooked into a wireless router and it has caused no problems so far.

I've had no real problems with it overheating or anything similar. The user interface is fairly simple overall and there is some decent enough help with it.

If I were you I would take the free dsl router provided and then just buy a cheap wireless rotuer and plug it into one of the ethernet ports. Works for me. I saw wireless routers on Komplett a while back for about €50. That would save you €90 overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 skinsella

sounds like the best plan alright.

is the smart deal as good as it sounds? only catch seems to be 12 month contract, but if it's good, then that's not really a catch.

machalla wrote:
    I've had no real problems with it overheating or anything similar. The user interface is fairly simple overall and there is some decent enough help with it.

If I were you I would take the free dsl router provided and then just buy a cheap wireless rotuer and plug it into one of the ethernet ports. Works for me. I saw wireless routers on Komplett a while back for about €50. That would save you €90 overall.

If that approach was taken, I presume a wireless router/access point would then just act as a bridge between the smart router and wireless nodes? (I probably didnt phrase that right)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

You might want to ask them if it's actually available. I did all the research, decided I wanted it, only to be told it wasn't available.

• Advertisement

steve-o wrote:
    You might want to ask them if it's actually available. I did all the research, decided I wanted it, only to be told it wasn't available.

I'm planning on getting it when it does become available, just planning ahead :)

Advertisement