Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting tiles

Options
  • 26-05-2005 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has painted over ceramic wall tiles. I was considering doing this instead of retiling the bathroom.
    any tips or recommendations?
    I was also thinking of painting the plain concrete tiles that make up our patio, again any tips or recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

doshin wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone here has painted over ceramic wall tiles. I was considering doing this instead of retiling the bathroom.

Yes, it can be done, woodies sell the stuff.
    You get a primer, paint and then a pen to draw back the grout colour.
    Just don't do as my mate did, and forget the primer.
    Fist shower his wife had and half the paint ended up down the drain hole!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭doshin

prospect wrote:
    Yes, it can be done, woodies sell the stuff.
    You get a primer, paint and then a pen to draw back the grout colour.
    Just don't do as my mate did, and forget the primer.
    Fist shower his wife had and half the paint ended up down the drain hole!!!
    thanks.
    Don't want to know what a fist shower is though :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

Yes, ceramic wall tiles, done recently. Repainted all my kitchen tiles, I used International paint, the one with the built in primer, came out smashing, you will probably need two coats, one thing I learned was when I was using a brush I got a lot of brush strokes so I lightly rolled the paint with a small roller after applying with the brush, great finish. You must make sure that the tiles are absolutely clean and grease free. No experience of concrete tiles.

doshin wrote:
    thanks.
    Don't want to know what a fist shower is though :eek: :D

OOps :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

Yeah make sure you get a good smooth finish and apply with patience.

(And give me that womans number!)

Mmmm Fist

Fredser

• Advertisement

Fredser wrote:
    Yeah make sure you get a good smooth finish and apply with patience.

(And give me that womans number!)

Mmmm Fist

Fredser

Now, Now,
    Stoppit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Dont forget before painting,use this as an extra precaution.

http://www.igoe.ie/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=39

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

doshin wrote:
    I was also thinking of painting the plain concrete tiles that make up our patio, again any tips or recommendations?

Sand the tiles, lash on a primer and then use a gloss paint over it. Works a treat.

You can get a concrete paint in black, grey or terracotta which works well on concrete

you dont really need to sand down tiles,maybe run over it first with a slightly damp cloth with white spirits before anything else you do.

Sand inbetween coats of paint with fine wet&dry sandpaper..But you do really need to make sure that its primed first.

thanks everyone, i'll get cracking tomorrow.
    Now, if anyone has tips for the outdoor concrete tiles it would be great, never know when our summer might strike!

• Advertisement

was in Woodies yesterday and the kind lady in the paint section said i can use ANY paintonce i have a primer down, surely this can't be true?

doshin wrote:
    was in Woodies yesterday and the kind lady in the paint section said i can use ANY paintonce i have a primer down, surely this can't be true?

Get the primer above where i posted a link to it.It all depends on where the tiles are situated.If lets say you were painting the tiles in the kitchen then regular undercoat/gloss wont be good,because when standard oil based paints hit a certain temperature it starts to turn yellow.So it would not be suitable in the kitchen.A paint with zinc or has some heat retention in it would be better,like radiator paint etc.

Ever wonder why radiators go yellow after painting with standard U/C and gloss now you know.

Just get the primer and suitable paint for the tiles.

Advertisement