Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinkin of setting up

• 26-05-2005 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of setting up a Wireless connection between two points about half to three quarter a kilometre apart with good line of sight its a residential area so any information on what ill need, rough costs, equipment needed and how much interferance to expect
    all links appreciated.
    Thanks
    Pete

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

A very similar question was posted and asnswered here, I could advise, but it would be the exact same as the answer posted on that thread, only replacing LMR400 with RG213...

As for interference, it all depends on how much wireless activity there is in your area. Unfortunately Dublin is very noisy in this regard, so I dunno..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Thanks for that looks like theres loads of info on that site
    Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

Fobia wrote:
    A very similar question was posted and asnswered here, I could advise, but it would be the exact same as the answer posted on that thread, only replacing LMR400 with RG213...

As for interference, it all depends on how much wireless activity there is in your area. Unfortunately Dublin is very noisy in this regard, so I dunno..

The most important thing you can do to help reduce the impact of interference is to use a directional antenna at both ends if it's a point to point link. Omni's receive in all directions and will pick up interference from all directions too.

Get the radio kit up at the antennas or just use wi-pipe's (or someone else's) integrated radio / antenna solutions, that way you just have Ethernet running up to the antennas. Ethernet cable is easer to work with and you need a much smaller hole in the house to get it in.

.Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

peterk19 wrote:
    Im thinking of setting up a Wireless connection between two points about half to three quarter a kilometre apart with good line of sight its a residential area so any information on what ill need, rough costs, equipment needed and how much interferance to expect
    all links appreciated.
    Thanks
    Pete
    The costs involved for your setup would be:
    2) 15dbi parabolic antenna E30 each
    2) cheap wireless router's E40 each
    2) poe kits about E27 each
    2) lashing kits and cradles for your chimney about E10 each
    2) 6 foot poles about E6 each

It would roughly cost you about E220 for a good setup between both points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Where is a good supplier near Dublin for this as it seems pretty reasonable i may start doing it next month
    Thanks for the info
    Pete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

peterk19 wrote:
    Where is a good supplier near Dublin for this as it seems pretty reasonable i may start doing it next month
    Thanks for the info
    Pete
    I dont know of any supplier in Dublin, but you can pick up most of them parts from wi-pipe in Waterford, and the wireless routher from solwise in the uk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

As most of the routers have two aerials does the external antenna connect to just one of those and if so will the other antenna provide local internal coverage at the same time (assuming the location is suitable of course) ?

Reason is I have a wireless router already at each location one Linksys and the other SMC Barricade. I should be able to test the entire configuration at one location by setting up the two routers beside each other and then in theory just add the external antennas? Am I going mad or can it be that simple?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Unless you're a fan of tinkering for its own sake, you'd be as well to get an integrated solution at both ends. Wi-Pipe sell CB3s with built-in 15dBi antennae and PoE. Set one end up as an AP, the other end up as a client, point them at each other and forget about it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You can always build your own AP as well but it will probably cost you more, not worth it for this situation

Advertisement