Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband - "Oh they're in another building!"

• 26-05-2005 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

This company makes me laugh, I called them a month ago asking about the 1mb to 2mb upgrade, they said "letter will be in the post to you next week", so like a fool I waited the week, no letter...

I called back and asked if they could give me a rough idea of when I would be upgraded, I was told "next month, we have a lot of customers you to upgrade, you'll get a letter"

So I waited and waited and waited.....

No letter...

I called again today asking for a rough timeframe, not an exact date, just a rough idea! The support guy didn't have a clue so I asked for a supervisor, I was told there were none available and that one would call me back, in fairness to the supervisor she did actually call me back but the information she gave me was absolutely classic fawlty towers stuff,

I asked calmly when I would be upgraded? : We don't know, we have a lot of people to upgrade and the engineers are very busy.

Are you upgrading by area/name/etc/etc? : I don't know, we don't have a list from the engineers.

Surely you could talk to the engineers and gets update? : Oh they're in another building.....

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Kone wrote:

Surely you could talk to the engineers and gets update? : Oh they're in another building.....

:mad:

Now this is a classic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well the more and more I hear about IBB phonesupport/customercare/service
    the more it sounds like they contracted that part of the company out ot a crappy contract phone service company...where the staff take calls for several companies and run off scripts :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

hmmmm... these guys are coming out to do a line of sight test for the 2mb breeze at my place soon. reading stuff like this makes me think i might just tell them where to stick their two meter aerial when they turn up and start the long wait for smart instead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 IDUBasher

Contracting sales and support out to call centers is very common place especially amongst comms companies. Unsurprisingly, it's far cheaper than a building, staff, equipment and so on and they are often already well established. Most of these places are paying close to min wage for lower level staff and this can be problematic. This obviously keeps costs low. But as the saying goes, you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

My personal experience with the upgrade from IBB ripwave to breeze was fairly ok. I had to wait 3 weeks for the cancellation of ripwave to complete and they came streight out and installed it in about 1hr 30mins.

Personally, I'd say you're been given the run around for whatever reason. Perhaps there is no more capacity on your local mast but there may be sometime soon, perhaps another reason. Only they know. If you keep calling, they will eventually do something, if not to just get you off their back. Persistance is the key with these places. There's absolutly no way they don't have a call escullation facility of some variety. So the "other building" thing is a pile of BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I used to be with IBB about 2yrs ago. It lasted 2months then I cancelled. I only really got it for gaming and there was no chance of that. I phoned up complaining many many many times giving out that they cant advertise gaming on their website if its not possible with their type of technology. Within 3days their website was changed and gaming was gotten rid of ;).

Oh + btw.... I'm still gettin bills from them to this day 2yrs later after cancelling. Glad the bank cut them off 2yrs ago.

IBB = n00bs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

IDUBasher wrote:
    My personal experience with the upgrade from IBB ripwave to breeze was fairly ok. I had to wait 3 weeks for the cancellation of ripwave to complete and they came streight out and installed it in about 1hr 30mins.

I'm currently upgrading to Breeze from Ripwave, but I'm afraid to cancel the Ripwave in case I'm left with no Internet access at all while I'm waiting for them to come out. What happens if the Breeze doesn't work. Do you have to apply for Ripwave and pay installation all over again?

Hi,

I still have my ripwave modem working and it's paid up untill the end of this month. The lads that installed the breeze wouldn't take the ripwave away with them for whatever reason. In fact they seemed very dismissive of it "I don't know what they're doing with those things" where one guys exact words, maybe he just didn't want to know. Hopefully can just stick it in the post and send it back to them.

As far as I'm aware when upgrading there is a cancellation period. For me it was 3 weeks. But I suspect it will be differant from person to person. As for having to repay installation if breeze fails, I'd doubt it very much, but you'd be best hearing that from them. Is probably a good idea to ring the upgrade in at the start of your ripwave billing month so you get a week of being able to switch between the 2 services if breeze is bad.

Good luck.

kjt wrote:
    Oh + btw.... I'm still gettin bills from them to this day 2yrs later after cancelling. Glad the bank cut them off 2yrs ago.

IBB = n00bs

Damn, that's not very good. I got it charging to my CC which is on a fine thread at the very best of times, so hopefully they'll not screw it up. As a matter of priniciple I'd still rather pay IBB my hardly earned money than eircom or their resellers. So there's no argument in my mind.

Also if the breeze performance is kept at its current level. Then I see no reason why it can't be used for gaming. I'm getting steady pings of <15ms for jolt.co.uk and even xbox live is very stable. Only the trial of time will tell if it's a worth while service. Even then, it'll only be from a single perspective. Seems peoples experiance with IBB varies greatly .

Maybe they've changed some things around then. When I was using them I was fine for a bout 30second intervals and out of nowhere my ping would Skyrocket up to 1000 then back to about 100, up to 250 down to 50 and keep on going like this. Some days I would get a steady stream of 150/200 but it wasnt much fun tbh.

I still have all the dish and the like, TAKE IT BACK IBB !!

Things where going too well. They just billed me for ripwave for the month of June even though it should have been cancelled. Got on to support and explained. Guy says the cancellation hadn't been issued and the equipment hadn't been ordered for pickup in so many words. It also appears they forgot to bill me for breeze 2mb, but he only hinted at this. Possibly if I had have played my cards right I might have gotten breeze at a nice discount, damnit. Is all streightened out now though. Only took a few mins. Should be interesting to see what my CC statement will have on it. My bet is both ripwave and breeze and then they'll have to credit me. I hate credit. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

They have not removed the references to gaming as i posted in another thread, it isnt on their main product page, but it is on one of there .pdfs about what servvice to go for

They removed it back then for a few months but they must have put it back on :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

kjt wrote:
    I used to be with IBB about 2yrs ago. It lasted 2months then I cancelled.

i just got it installed yesterday and i'm thinking of getting rid of it soon if it does not improve :( . i had a good run of it today about 3 hours worth but the problems are back now worse than before :mad: .

the only thing i can say is thank good for eircom :eek: and the fact that i did not cancel my broadband with them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

any of you folks in the dublin 6 area? should i get breeze? or just tell these IBB techs to take a hike when they turn up to do the line of sight test? :(

Clover wrote:
    i just got it installed yesterday and i'm thinking of getting rid of it soon if it does not improve :( . i had a good run of it today about 3 hours worth but the problems are back now worse than before :mad: .

Strange how its good sometimes isnt it?
    For almost the whole 1st week it was perfect, I could game getting really good downloads. They then must have changed something because I couldnt game yet my download speeds where fine. I told them this and they said sometimes they change the ratio/settings of the masts. So I nicely asked could the change it back to the way it was because I felt it would be alot better for me and alot of other customers, they ofcourse said they couldnt and that they couldnt tell me how long this current configuration would stay or when it would go back to the way it was :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

i think the problem they have is they say 20:1 for most product now but often they wouldnt have 20 users on a pipe but then they add a couple who are say medium users and this has an immediate impact on everyone unless ibb increase the bw which they wont as its still the promised package...the contention ratio really is a bigger issue with ibb than with traditional adsl and i think thats where the core of most of the problems brought up lays...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Tell them to take a hike or better still if its raining they do thier LOS by looking out the window of thier van..Tell them to keep driving...If they are blaming high useage for low speeds what's the service going to be like if they ever get anywhere near the capicity they were hoping for???????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I believe you have the right to cancel within the first seven days, so they obviously ensure you're happy during those seven days so you commit to the 12 months. There have been so many cases of the first week being excellent followed by crap that it can't be a coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭jleavy046

Hi Guys,
    I have ordered the 1MB Breeze service 2 weeks+ ago and I have heard nothing. No contract, no e-mail and no LOS test.

I plan to call on Monday and cancel Breeze and RipWave. Eircom now have my phone line ready for Broadband (1MB) so I'll go that route.

//Joe Leavy - Sandyford Road, Dublin... 6? 16? Co Dublin? AHHH!!

I got mine no probs in D.16

Hope that puts u at a bit of rest ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

Kone wrote:
    Classic :D I'm still waiting for the famous upgrade that I’ve been told I’d been getting a letter too :confused: Ahh well still paying for 1mb but not getting 2mb for what I’m paying... Just chancing me arm but would we get credit for the 2 months paying for the old €48.40 when we should be paying the new €35.99... €12.41 difference... Dam but they have us on the contract part :mad: Ahh well worth a try...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I doubt there's anything stopping you from "downgrading" to the 1Mbps service until they get their act together, though. Might be an incentive for them to complete the upgrade. I'm about to suggest this to them myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

personally have the Business solution from them, 4Mbit, works like a dream, had it moved from the old place and they even garanteed us a maximum of 24hours for the downtime of the line, worked fine.

as for the ping issue, we had a similar problem like that last week, had latencies of 2000!+ ms, called them and 30 minutes later was back to normal, they even got back and apologised, hehe

we pay 159 Euros a month for the 4Mbit, but I know they start with 2 Mbit, for something like 39 Euros on the business lines,

might be worth looking into for your guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Their installation times seem to be a bit long.. I'm more than two weeks waiting now for a business 3Mb installation, and everytime I ring I get the "oh they should be out tomorrow" line... then again I'm not expecting a positive line-of-sight test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I think its a common expierence with IBB its great for the 1st month then it goes down hill. Ive had so many problems im currentlly looking for alternitaves.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you ring support they will organise for a courier to pick up your Ripwave:)

IBB do not outsource customer care and technical support,they are jsut located in 2 separate buildings.

Something to think about before ordering IBB ... You pass the LOS test you get IBB all is well...then one day a greedy builder comes along & builds a big building between you & the mast.. What then???????? Its coming the buildings are getting higher!!!!!
    Wait & see

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I personally have lost patience with the company. They were out to look at my line of sight issue, and i took a photo of our tree as seen from the radio modem and marked on it the areas that needed to be cut as they saw it. Now I'm 600 euros down and still no signal, I even have located the transmitter and can see a clear line of sight to my own aerial. This lot are coming out tomorrow, but i'll eat my hat if they actually get it working - next stop with this lot is terminating my contract.

Had the same experience with them ,only I was lucky enough never to be connected!!!
    They failed a LOS at my house without getting out of thier van (Bad weather that day BTW) & I can see the mast which is less than halfa KM away.... Fooking gangsters if you ask me!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭jleavy046

Hi All,
    I just just got my eircom DSL in and I'm on top of the world. Why did i ever you Ripwave!!!!!

Yippee.... 106K/Sec!!! go go go

Advertisement