Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in Pain

Options
  • 26-05-2005 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi
    I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

I have a female golden retriever/wicklow collie cross, and since yesterday evening she has become very sore around her stomach area and yelps at the slightest touch! We've felt her legs, in case it was a problem with her hips but there's no problem there. She can walk around fine with no visible discomfort.

She is a very gentle friendly dog, only a year and a half old, and hasn't had medical problems previously. This has just come on very suddenly. She is best friends with a pure-bred female Retriever across the road and she had similar symptoms the day before so i'm wondering if its something they both ate. We had given her a small dose of Calpol, and that seems to have helped a bit, but she's very lethargic and terrified if anyone goes near her in case they touch her! :(

Any ideas on what it could be? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Does sound like she ate something bad. Maybe a piece of metal or something.

What's a wicklow collie by the way?

Hmm, maybe bring the dog to the vet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LambaTofa

Going to bring her down to the vet later this evening. Just thought it was weird that her pal across the road had the same symptoms. Its all very odd.

A wicklow collie is pretty much a sheepdog...like the ones in Babe :) they probably have other names but that's what we were told she was!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Dogs have a very high pain threshold ..they don't show it anyway near as much or as quickly as us humans, actually they hide their pain as much as possible.

So, whenever a dog actually SHOWS pain, there are only three things to do:

THE VET
    THE VET
    and ...THE VET

A.S.A.P !!

Better safe than sorry

That's the general message.

As for two neighbourhood dogs showing the same symptoms ...my (horrible and hopefully not true) guess would be poison of some kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Is it safe to give a dog Calpol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

peasant wrote:
    Dogs have a very high pain threshold ..they don't show it anyway near as much or as quickly as us humans, actually they hide their pain as much as possible.

So, whenever a dog actually SHOWS pain, there are only three things to do:

THE VET
    THE VET
    and ...THE VET

A.S.A.P !!

Better safe than sorry

That's the general message.

As for two neighbourhood dogs showing the same symptoms ...my (horrible and hopefully not true) guess would be poison of some kind.

Very true, get that poor dog to a vet asap!:eek:

As for calpol..... why would you?
    And no, its not safe, not at all, for many reasons, *and* giving any animal chemical treatments made for human consumption is not safe*

* (unless recommended by a vet, and I can tell you here and now, *no* (good) vet would tell you to give your dog human painkillers without his/her examination and very specific weight / size / tolerance and dosage calculations).

B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Could be poision - could be a dead rat that had veils disease - I had a young pup die from this althought the syptoms are similiar to parvo so probably not that.

When ever a dog - especially 2 dogs show the same syptoms & are in pain get the vet ASAP! There are a lot of sick people who will put poision down for fun!

Let us know how the dogs are please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Do you let the dog wander?, if you do you really should`nt for the dogs safety (poison,fights,traffic) and the general public safety(traffic,dog crap,fights).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Fantasy

Definatly a vet .. I worked in a vets in feb for 2 weeks .. and a dog came in like that. THey couldn't find anything at all wrong so they just took a chance in opening him up to check for a foreign body.. lucky they did because what they found was amazing ..and disgusting. They found a make-up wipe, dog collor including buckle, a large piece of material, a wheel off some sort of dog toy, bits of plastic that looked like they came from a Yop (yougurt drink) carton and bits of metal all in the poor dogs stomach! It had to be opened up and stitched in at least 7 different places along its stomach and intestines.

I'm not suggesting your dog's case is anywhere near this serious but it just goes to show you never know what it's been eating.

Advertisement