Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance question

Options
  • 26-05-2005 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭

Hey i was ringing around for a few quotes yesterday 21 female on a 1.1 punto.

Quinn direct quoted me 1157 for third party fire and theft and 1500 for fully comp , And then I rang this crowd in clonmel called McCarthy , they said if i get my dad on my policy they`ll do me fully comp for 1306 , I was wondering if I crash would this affect my dad in anyway , Hes insured with Hibernain and I think he just has to go as a named driver on my ploicy aparently it looks better if ya can get a parent with a full license and a few years driving experience on it.

Ive heard bad reports about quinn direct and if this didnt affect his policies Id defo go with it but im not sure because they were closing when I rang so she didnt have time to explain it properly to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

If you crash it won't affect your dad's policy at all, as he won't be the one making the claim. As far as Quinn Direct goes, it seems their policies aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Many negative posts on the boards about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

assume you have tried all the usual suspects, www.bestquote.ie, Axa seem to be doing very good deals for women drivers. (it is well worth listing about 15 brokers etc and sitting down for a few hours and phoning them all, you would be amazed the difference)

I know that when my gf put me on her policy her preimum reduced by a few hundred euros, i am 5yrs older than her. I cannot see how if the owner of the policy has an accident it would affect named drivers on the policy?.

minor aside note, personally think comp is a waste of money, if you do have an accident it will probably work out cheaper and easier in the long run if you only had TPFT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Axa were my dearest quote yet , said the only way they could make it cheaper was if my parents had policies with them.

With third party if i hit somebody though Im not insured is that it?

I wasnt even considering fully comp until that quote from mccarthys , but im fairly reluctant about going with quinn direct after the things i heard about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

www.quoteline.ie are another one, which seem to give good quotes

It would depend on the price of the car, if its worth less than 5k, id go third party f+t, although this is something that you have to decide.

Make sure you get the full policy details from your broker, to make sure what you are and what you're not covered for.

Let us know how you get on

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    With third party if i hit somebody though Im not insured is that it?.

iam far from an insurance expert, but as far as i can figure the only difference between tpft and fully comp is that for fully comp they cover your medical bills and replacement of the car a open market value of the car at the time of the accident. So i suppose if you have a reasonably cheap car and good medical cover already?.

• Advertisement

the cars woth a grand well 950 to be precise and i have no medical cover whatsoever myself.

did you try briton insurance?

950? two ways of looking at it then (just to confuse you)
    1. it is so cheap (relative to a new new car, no reflection on your car) that if there was any damage you could just pay for repair/replace yourself, and save the money. go for tpft (plus you would not affect any future ncb)

2. again due to the low value of the car, if you do have to make a claim for the value of the car it will be so low you will probably stay under the claims 'radar' so to speak, i.e. when they as 'any claims within the last 3+ years' what they usually mean is 'an claims in excess of €XXXX'. Thus go for fully comp

personally i would get a quote for both, then buy the TPFT and get yourself a nice new MP3 stereo for the car with the difference. But that is just me.

Ok so they sent out the proposal form and their looking for a copy of my dads insurance cert.
    Why would they need that if hes just a named driver ?Sure its my policy so wouldnt my cert be his cert if ya get me ?

Advertisement