Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation near 'Cruiscín Lán'?

Options
  • 26-05-2005 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

Me and a few friends are heading to Galway & Cork on the 5th & 6th of July to see Flogging Molly in each city. They're playing in Cruiscín Lán in Cork, and we are trying to find somewhere to stay for the night there.

How far away is the venue from Cork train station (or whatever it's called)? Are there many hostels/cheap hotels nearby we can stay?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Kelly's Hotel is just on the corner, dunno how good it is, but it is literaly a 2min walk from the Cruiscín Lán...

The Train Station is about a 10 - 15min walk from there, so not too bad at all!
    I'll do a search for that hostel...

Here's the website: http://www.kellyshostel.com/ doesn't look too bad, but I wouldn't expect much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

crusicin is at other side of city from train station your better off not staying on or around where the cruscin is. Depends on what accomodation you want hotels city center, or b and bs / hostel around the place. Theres a hostel called kellys hostel just around the corner from the street crusicin is on. Its on summerhill south. Dont know any more info on it. That would be the closest and always ppl stay there. Looks ok. The other hotels are in city center like jurys etc...

^^ 2 secs before me

Skud wrote:
    crusicin is at other side of city from train station
    WHAT?? all you have to do is cross the river by the Col, then pass the garda station and take a right at the hospital?? other side of the city?? pfff... gimeee a break! 15mins MAX to walk, even with bags!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

homas Kinsella room, which is a three bedded dormitory with ensuite bathroom at €18.00 per bed per night;

Perfect. Thanks a million!

Whats the area like? Actually, whats the venue like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

tbh honest cork city centre is pretty small, jurys inn is only about 15 minute walk down the road..
    any hotel/hostel in the city centre will do you fine,
    as long as you have directions to the cruiscin youll be fine.. its only about 5 minutes from the south mall/grand parade/patrick st in the city centre if youre walking slow..

[edit]
    the venues reasonably small.. nice though,
    you can get right up next to the band..
    usually plenty of bikers in there afaik
    very little hastle,
    close enough to the rest of the city nightlife as already mentioned..
    saw jj72 there a few weeks ago and the sound and atmosphere was class, the place was packed full...

[/edit]

• Advertisement

ehh, 5mins walk from the city centre, so all is good really, the venue?? there was a post about this quite recently... http://ww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=248594&highlight=cruiscin it doesn't make it out to be all that good to be honest, but if you're going for a band you like, then I'm sure you'll enjoy it more!

The area is fine, and a chinese right next door to you! If you feel reall really really lazy (and I mean really lazy) there's a cab company across the road, but you really are only 5 mins away from everything!

Brilliant. The furthest I've gone in Cork is the main street, Patrick Street or something. I got a White hot chocolate in a café there - ****ing lovely

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

For gigs the venue's pretty good, but if they're doing a club night afterwards you may or may not find it to suck ass, purely due to the layout and design of the place.

In an attempt to reconcile the dispute over the distance between Cruiscin Lan and the train station...technically it is the other side of the city. Which is to say, about a fifteen minute walk. Cork's a fairly small place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

What kind of music? And what date are they playing? I <i>may</i> drag some mates along if it's something that appeals to me.

Flogging Molly. Trad Irish fused with punk. Absolutely ****ing brilliant live. I saw them in Temple Bar, and the atmosphere was unbelievable

• Advertisement

nesf wrote:
    What kind of music? And what date are they playing? I <i>may</i> drag some mates along if it's something that appeals to me.

if you look them up http://www.floggingmolly.com/ they have a sample song on their site too... I think you minght like them though

Funkstard wrote:
    Flogging Molly. Trad Irish fused with punk. Absolutely ****ing brilliant live. I saw them in Temple Bar, and the atmosphere was unbelievable

Trad Irish mixed with punk?

Yeah sounds interesting. I'll try to make it on the night.

Had a listen there. It's very "steriotypical" Irish Trad with guitar and drums overlayed rather than a fusion of punk and trad (which would be far cooler*)

Hmmm.

I'd have to listen to an entire album to make my mind up but I wasn't impressed tbh.

*cool meaning whatever tickles my fancy rather than what would be considered "cool"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Floggin molly are daycent boy.

This should be a laugh!! :D

I shall refrain from arguing over the quality of the band, I shall instead shut up and wait until you naysayers go to the gig, and come back afterwards grovelling.

That, and you're all boggers. :D

Funkstard wrote:
    I shall refrain from arguing over the quality of the band, I shall instead shut up and wait until you naysayers go to the gig, and come back afterwards grovelling.

That, and you're all boggers. :D

Arguing over the quality of bands is pointless. Anyone with even the smallest bit of backbone will hold their own opinions on and tastes in music. I've no problem giving my opinion on a band, but I won't try and change other people's opinions on them. I hate it when people try to do that to me.

Live and let live and all that.

Ahh, many a good summer I spent up in the bog cutting turf with a slán. ;)

nesf wrote:
    Arguing over the quality of bands is pointless. Anyone with even the smallest bit of backbone will hold their own opinions on and tastes in music. I've no problem giving my opinion on a band, but I won't try and change other people's opinions on them. I hate it when people try to do that to me.

Live and let live and all that.

Ahh, many a good summer I spent up in the bog cutting turf with a slán. ;)

I SHALL REFRAIN from arguing over the band. Don't formulate an opinion until you've seen them live is all I'm saying.

Advertisement