Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elec Engineers or I/O Software People

Options
  • 26-05-2005 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I'm new to the whole i/o craic.

Anyone know what the story is with this?
    What driver should I use for a a virtual COM port (to access the device the same as an RS-232 serial device)?

One option is to use Windows' Communications driver. The firmware should define the device as CDC/ACM (Communications Device Class/Abstract Communication Model). The device uses Endpoint 0 and bulk IN and bulk OUT endpoints. In the INF file, set Class=Ports. For Windows 2000 and Windows XP, describe the hardware driver (usbser.sys) as a functional driver, not as a lower filter driver. For Windows 98 and Windows Me, declare "usbser.sys,ccport.sys" as the device drivers.

Reports are that the Windows driver is slow (640Kbit/Sec) and the WM_DEVICECHANGE notifications don't work properly on Windows 2000. More info.

For better performance, use a controller whose vendor provides a virtual COM port driver, such as FTDI or take a look at MCCI's USB Serial Drivers.

It's the first paragraph that has me. i just want to know what driver to use. :confused::confused::confused:

Help!!!

Comments

Advertisement