Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Summons for illegal right turn...

Options
  • 26-05-2005 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Hi all...

A few months ago I was driving through Dublin City Centre, and took an right turn, without realising you weren't allowed turn right there. It was nighttime, just after Christmas, and I really didn't notice the no right turn sign. I followed the cars in front of me, without realising they were all Taxis, who were allowed turn...

Anyhow, the Gardai were parked around the corner, and they stopped me. They took my details and Driver's License details, didn't ask for my Insurance Cert or anything like that. I told him I didn't realise that there was no right turn, and he said that there was a sign. At the end, he just said to be more careful in future, and didn't tell me anything else.

I thought that was that, but I just got a Summons today to appear in Court for 'Driving in Contravention of a "Must not turn right" traffic sign'. I've checked the Traffic Acts named ( Section 35(5) Road Traffic Act 1994, Section 102 Road Traffic Act 1961 - Amended by Section 23 Road Traffic Act 2002 ), and from what I can see, I'm being charged with not complying with a prohibtive traffic sign.

So, having never been summoned before, I'm looking for advice! I'm guilty in that I did break the law, even if I didn't realise it. Should I get a Solicitor? I assume I just plead guilty and hope for the best? According to those sections, I can be fined up to €800, and from what I can find out about Penalty Points, they don't seem to have come in yet for this offence. Any ideas what the fine might be like? If I plead guilty, do I then have a conviction on my record?

Any advice appreciated!!

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

firstlt you can get a solicitor although many would say that it would be a waste of money for something like this.
    There is no way you will get fined anything near 800 euro for a first offence.
    Turn up explain to the Judge what happened thats it. If you explain that it was a genuine mistake you may even get away with it !!

If you want to plead not guilty get a solicitor!

Check that there is sign !

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

vasch_ro wrote:
    If you explain that it was a genuine mistake you may even get away with it !!
    :rolleyes: what a wonderful country we live in... no wonder nobody takes any traffic law seriously

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

OH BOY - you're FU**ed

800 Euro Fine

2 Penalty Points

And a big dirty conviction on your name!!!!

Relax - wont be as bad as it first seems!! :cool:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

That's the stupidist thing I've ever seen go to court. NO wonder the legal system is clogged up. The worst I would have expected is a fixed penalty which would be fair enough; like you get for the more serious and dangerous offence of speeding.
    Sounds like quota filling to me and TBH i'd be supprised if the guard even turns up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Redshift wrote:
    That's the stupidist thing I've ever seen go to court. NO wonder the legal system is clogged up. The worst I would have expected is a fixed penalty which would be fair enough; like you get for the more serious and dangerous offence of speeding.
    Sounds like quota filling to me and TBH i'd be supprised if the guard even turns up in court.

How can it be quota filling? If no one broke laws, how would they fill quotas then? Should the guards pick and choose which laws to enforce? If you saw someone doing something blatently in front of a guard and he did nothing, I bet you'd be at the top of the que to call the guard incompetent and question where our tax money is going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Redshift wrote:

i think taking an illegal turn is MUCH more dangerous than speeding (tho not excusing either). Ok fair enuff, taxi's were allowed so, presumably it was safe to do so, but what if it was onto a 1 way street, or totally agains the flow of traffic, could have caused a bad accident

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

While I know I should have seen the sign ( and I've no problem paying a fine, fair's fair, I broke the law ) I have to agree that I think it's ridiculous going to court for this. Surely a fixed on the spot penalty is more appropiate? Going the wrong way down a one way street is dangerous, but as far as I was concerned, I was in the righh hand turn lane, and there were was traffic in front of me and behind me, all turning right. I just didn't notice that they were taxis and buses. I don't think what I did was dangerous in any way.

But apart from all that, and what's right and wrong, what's the practicalities here? If I plead guilty, do I still get to try to explain it to the Judge? Is it better to have a solicitor do that instead? How often does the Garda in question just not turn up, and what happens if they don't? Am I right in saying that penalty points aren't included for this? And if I do pay a fine, does it count as a conviction on my licence? All these questions...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

did you give a statement to the cop?. As far as i know, and open to be corrected here, cop has to take your statement, which can be entered into evidenceThen on the day, just read the signed statement. at the end of the day you are at the whim of the judge within the limits of statute book. you may get off scot free, you may get 'made an example of'

from what i can gather you are not trying to argue your innocence or guilt (right/wrong whatever), you just want advice?. my two cents would be get a signed statement witnessed by the cop in question, go to court (doubt a solicitor would be of any real use if you are pleading guilty, but go talk to one anyway) plan for the worst and be happy if you get less?.

Definitely not trying to argue my guilt, I know I broke the law, and while I did it unwittingly, that's not an excuse.

Didn't give the Garda a statement as such. He said 'you know you've taken an illegal right turn', I told him that I didn't realise, he said 'there's a sign in place, it's been there for a couple of years', and I said I didn't know that, and then he took my drivers licence, asked me my correct address, took my Insurance and Tax details from the windscreen, then told me to be more careful in future, and that was that. So as far as I know, that's not any kind of statement, right?

J.

again, best get legal advice here, but i personally would get in contact directly with the cop, and try to give a statement, at least you will have it going into the court if nothing else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Redshift wrote:
    That's the stupidist thing I've ever seen go to court. NO wonder the legal system is clogged up. The worst I would have expected is a fixed penalty which would be fair enough

Couldn't agree more - what a waste of time / money. OP, are you telling us everything? In my experience it is far more likely if you make a genuine minor mistake, admit it and be polite to the guard, you'd get a warning

Not a fine, let alone a summons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Getting a solicitor is just a waste of money, it's not a debatable issue, you made an illegal right turn, you'll get a fine, it'll be nothing major.
    I bet it was the right turn from Georges Street onto Dame Street ? If it was there's a few signs and I think you have to be in the bus lane too to make that right ! He could have done you for using the bus lane too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

Stekelly wrote:
    Should the guards pick and choose which laws to enforce?
    well in fairness, common sense should prevail. i mean im hardly gonna sleep better at night knowing that this guy got a fine for something stupid and then if some cúnt breaks into my house the gards won't turn up for ages or do anything about it when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

edmund_f wrote:
    again, best get legal advice here, but i personally would get in contact directly with the cop, and try to give a statement, at least you will have it going into the court if nothing else

What would be the benefit of making a voluntary statement (admitting guilt?) in a case like this? I can't think of any.

Not your ornery onager

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

If it was on Georges St turning onto Dame St there are plenty of signs warning that this turn is indeed banned and yes you would of been driving in a bus lane too.

Many people seem not to know it is also illegal to make the left turn from Parnell square east onto Parnell St where u are also driving in a bus lane and the compulsory move is a right onto Parnell St except for buses taxis etc

i would imagine, given a reasonable judge that if you free and openly state the facts of what happened the the judge will be in a better position to determine guilt or innocence. If he has not given a statement, i would assume, that the file that he will be making his decision on will only contain infomation provided by the cop?.

I did not think guilt or innocence was on question here, just the sentence?

Hi...

Don't worry, I'm not hiding any details of what happened, Unkel. I told the Garda that I was sorry, didn't realise there was no right turn. I wasn't impolite or anything like that. I thought he *had* just warned me, when he told me to be more careful next time, there was no mention of any follow up.

Yes, it was from George's St to Dame St. I'm not in the City Centre that often at all ( I live in Kildare ), but the next time I'm in there I'll have a look at the junction in the daytime, and see what the signs are like. He never mentioned anything to me about a Bus lane ( and neither does the summons ).

Anyhow, as Edmund says, it's nothing to do with Guilt / Innocence, I'm not denying I did it. I'm just asking what can I expect in Court? Should I get a solicitor? What's the punishment ( fine / penalty points etc. etc. ). Is it completely up to the Judge? Never got a summons before, so don't know what to expect at all...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't bother "getting" a solicitor, but perhaps just consult one to find out what you should expect when you're in court. He'll probably charge you for the consultation, but it would be a hell of a lot more if he acconpanied you to court.

Pretty much, your name will be called, you stand up and say you're guilty. Don't come up with an excuse, if the judge asks you to say anything in your defence, just say no, and apologise for your error.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jasonb wrote:
    Yes, it was from George's St to Dame St

That makes a big difference!

1. as said, you were in the bus lane / taxi lane too!
    2. that turn is very clearly signed as said
    3. this is part of the new traffic flows around the city center and has been very well advertised / explained in the national newspapers
    4. at the very start of the new flow, the gardai were out on the turn to guide traffic and get people's attention to the new flow
    5. Even now, many people deliberately take a right, knowing full well it's illegal hence the increased Garda enforcement of compliance

As the others said, just plead guilty and pay the fine. Hopefully it's not too bad. Lesson learnt!

Let us know how you got on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

You're not one of those headless muppets who go around ignoring signposts are you?? :eek:

• Advertisement

I try not to be! Honestly didn't see any signs. I know the fact that it was nighttime, and raining etc. etc. isn't any excuse ( 'cos I should just take my time more in those conditions ). I guess my mind was on trying to figure out how to get to where I was going, it's not a route I've used before.

General consensus seems to be not to bring a solicitor ( but maybe get advice from one ), plead guilty ( planning to do that anyhow ) and hope for the best? Any ideas if the judge can give me penalty points for this offence, and if I do plead guilty, and I'm fined, does it go down as a conviction ( cos I know Insurance companies probably won't like that! ).

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jasonb wrote:
    Any ideas if the judge can give me penalty points for this offence, and if I do plead guilty, and I'm fined, does it go down as a conviction ( cos I know Insurance companies probably won't like that! ).
    Penalty points aren't in force for the offence you are being charged with.
    I know that it won't be added to your licence as a conviction, it's an offence, but I couldn't tell you the exact subtle legal jargon.

That's a relief. So hopefully the worse I'm facing is a fine ( and hopefully I won't be made an example of! ).

Court Case isn't until middle of August, so I've a while to go yet...

J.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

You will get a nominal fine, probably whatever the fine on the spot for that offence is.

Bring 50-100 quid to court with you.

And watch you mouth and attitude in court, remember the judge can impose anything up to a 800 Euro fine and or six months imprisonment if he so decides.

Oh don't worry, I'll definitely behave myself. Like I said, I haven't been given a summons before, and don't intend to make my first time one to remember!! Thanks to everyone for their advice...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

A couple of thoughts on this,

1. I am sure you genuinely didn't realise you did wrong, but a fine should be issued, because it is one rule for everyone, and at the very least, it will teach you to be a bit more attentive.
    2. You can't plead ignorance in a court of law.
    3. Fixed fine deffo, this is a simple issue and shouldn't eat into court time.
    4. A ex-colleague of mine was done for doing 40mph in a 30mph zone. He pointed out to the cop that there was no speed limit signs, (Which there wasn't as they had been removed for road widening) he photographed the road that evening with a disposable camera.
    At court he represented himself and pleaded not guilty, think this was easy. The judge asked him to state his case, he said 'There were no signs indicating the legal limit' the judge asked the cop if there was a sign, and the cop replied one word 'Yes', the hammer went down and he received a £120 fine (double the fine if he had pleaded guilty.

My point is, just plead guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

The best a solicitor can do for you is tell the judge that you have no previous convictions, no penalty points, etc and anything else that might make the judge go a bit more linient on you. But you will probably get charged a couple of hundred euro for the privelage anyway so probably not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

you should be ok
    probably only get a fine

something similar happened to me a few years ago was pulled over for not been far enouught behine the card in front of me when the light was amber as i past it, cop gave me a warning and told me to produce my documentation to a station in 10 days, did taht and a few months later got the summons for failing to produce insurance and for running a red light. went to court ready to plead not guilty on the insurance and the red light, got the insurance struck out and when asked about the red light informed the judge that it was amber when he pulled me over cop didnt turn up so judge threw it out, once you are polite and genuine the judge shouldnt hit you to hard

What's the situation regarding the Garda not turning up? Is this a common occurence? If it happens, I guessing that you still go up in front of the Judge, but there's a good chance it'll be thrown out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

jasonb wrote:
    Honestly didn't see any signs.

Jason, after you plead guilty and pay the fine your next stop should be SpecSavers or Vision Express. :rolleyes:

Ok, maybe I'm being unfair. But the last time I was down that way the signs could be seen from Rathmines :D

Advertisement