Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ds9 concepts

Options
  • 26-05-2005 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I'm interested to find out how they came up with the idea for ds9. Ya know the type of questions such as: why a space station? why make some previously minor races (bajorans, cardassians, breen) the main races of the show? were the dominion meant to represent the antithesis to the federation?

Another question thats played on my mind is have the dominion given any indication that they've encountered the borg? i can just imagine the jemhadar doing suicide charges on borg cubes :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

interesting crimsonfire

i dont know much but i do know that the decision to base ds9 on a spacestation as opposed to a ship was part of their attempt to
    1. make DS9 more of a "continuing storyline" type of show.
    2. becuase TNG was running when DS9 started (was season 6 on TNG i think) they felt they couldnt have 2 ship based series going at same time.
    3. they wanted to make the story slightly "darker" than either VOY or TNG. not sure if this is what ur asking but their was a definate decision to show DS9 as a less than ideal place.

cardys and bajorans were obvious "partners" for the show (i dont mean partners as in friends i mean they go together as plotlines). breen dont come into it untill the last series (or 6th). dominion arent the antithesis to the federation. it might seam so, but they is just the big bad baddies of the series. no other show has such a long term enemy (unless u count Q, whos starts and ends TNG)

and no, there has never been reference to the borg by the dominion.
    tho they shud get on. both "promote" order above all else :)

my info is based on a recent watching of the entire show and the special features of the DVDs. lots a juicy info in those, loads a intervies with ira.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

I've got DS9 on dvd all 7 seasons.

They wanted something different, and seeing as B5 was comign out it would seem they thought this would be a good idea.

The Station is self is more akin to a Wild west town.

Sisko being ther mayor/sherif , the head honcho.

The races them selfs Bajoran's and cardies well they said they went for them as the wanted to show the universe had more than just Humans/vulcans in it.

I loved DS9 , still do ... such great stories and great chars as well.

here are some of my fav lines from the seriers .. lets see if anyone can get them without googleing them ;P

"There is stress on your face Kolath .. you should drink more" :D

"7 fights 7 victorys , you truely have the spirit of Kahless in you"

"what where you this time .. the chair .. the table ... no wait , the glass"

and the one that is quoted most often my house ( with the accent,

"community leader !!! " :D:D

and now for the obligitory :o

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

cant believe im replyin to this tho :)
    There is stress on your face Kolath .. you should drink more

this the episode where they search for the batlith of kaleth. line by the l8r jadzeia dax?
    7 fights 7 victorys , you truely have the spirit of Kahless in you
    mortuch says to worf in the jemhidar prison as he repeatable fights and kills jemhidar.
    what where you this time .. the chair .. the table ... no wait , the glass
    obviously quark to odo, but which episode, umm. have a couple of suspect episodes, but cant place it.
    community leader !!!
    sisko to quark, first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

The Dominion versus The Borg sounds like a good idea. The Jem'hadar would make formidable drones but I suspect the Borg might have a lot of trouble assimilating the Founders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

propaganda so the could bomb the baltics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Megatron wrote: »
    here are some of my fav lines from the seriers .. lets see if anyone can get them without googleing them ;P

"There is stress on your face Kolath .. you should drink more" :D

"7 fights 7 victorys , you truely have the spirit of Kahless in you"

"what where you this time .. the chair .. the table ... no wait , the glass"

and the one that is quoted most often my house ( with the accent,

"community leader !!! " :D:D

and now for the obligitory :o

1. The first episode with Kang, Koloth and Kor - where they go on the quest with Jadzia against the Albino if I remember right. Kor to Koloth

2. The episode where Worf, Garak, Martok and Bashir are held in the Dominion internment camp and Worf is forced to fight the Jem'Hadar. Martok to Worf.

3. Quark to Odo but I can't place it either!

4. Pilot Episode.. Quark to Sisko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Yeah the idea was to have Sheriff Sisko on the station and they didn't want 2 ship based stories on the go at once.

One of the reasons they had the Bajorans on the go was because they thought they could get Michelle Forbes to transfer over from TNG to the new show - they wanted someone to come over but not one of the main characters. As it turned out she didn't want to do it so they got Meaney to go over. They then changed Ro Laren into Major Kira's character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

is taht ds9 from the start a i see on tv3e, it one of hte ones with his dead wife in it, i preusme it the first ep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i know allot of books and games have referenced that the dominion and the borg share a border but its never been established as cannon

Ds9 is such a great series, are you sure that the dominion was always the intention or was it something introduced in the last episode of season 2 (or was it 3?) to increase the ratings and have more of a ongoing story?

The thing about DS9 i only found out a while back was that Ensign Ro (Admiral Cain - in BSG)was orginally cast to be Kira.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yep thats correct. The producers wanted Forbes as the other DS9 lead in her role as Ro Laren. So there would have been no Kira essentially.

But Forbes wasn't interested in doing a long series.

I think she also turned down a role as Ro again (as the XO, mebbe?) in Voyager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

pitty because she can really act well as a cold blooded ****

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Vokes wrote: »
    Yep thats correct. The producers wanted Forbes as the other DS9 lead in her role as Ro Laren. So there would have been no Kira essentially.

But Forbes wasn't interested in doing a long series.

I think she also turned down a role as Ro again (as the XO, mebbe?) in Voyager.

Her vs Janeway would've been epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

User45701 wrote: »
    pitty because she can really act well as a cold blooded ****
    Agreed, she's a formidable actress. Her TNG episodes opposite Patrick Stewart were excellent.

She would have been perfect for DS9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

is taht ds9 from the start a i see on tv3e, it one of hte ones with his dead wife in it, i preusme it the first ep.

Could be, was his son fishing in the holodeck? Otherwise it's a much later episode where the Prophets were making Sisko relive the time ...

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Vokes wrote: »
    Agreed, she's a formidable actress. Her TNG episodes opposite Patrick Stewart were excellent.

She would have been perfect for DS9.

She was pretty good in Battlestar Gallactica too. Probably one of my fav Star Trek characters/actors of all time, even though she wasn't in it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I always found her to be quite an irritating character, that goes for Bajoran's in general.

I always hoped they'd go a bit deeper into the Beta quadrant, I don't remember any ST where we got much of an insight there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

dyl10 wrote: »
    I always found her to be quite an irritating character, that goes for Bajoran's in general.

I always hoped they'd go a bit deeper into the Beta quadrant, I don't remember any ST where we got much of an insight there

Most Star Trek maps I've seen have a small chunk of the Federation in Beta Quadrant, with access the rest of it blocked off by the Romulan and Klingon Empires (which both appear to be mostly in the Beta quadrant and beside each over there.)

But agreed, they appears to have done Gamma and Delta to bits, it was the last chunk left.

Here's an Alpha /Beta map I Googled...

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Rawr wrote: »

Interesting map. Seems to be a bastardised version of Mandel's. Is the Garidian Republic based on the computer game The Final Unity, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

Svalbard wrote: »
    Interesting map. Seems to be a bastardised version of Mandel's. Is the Garidian Republic based on the computer game The Final Unity, I wonder?

It's an odd one alright (first good one I found when I Googled a little eariler).
    That was my thinking too about the Garidians (however I always imagined their space to be just across the neutral zone, beside Romulan space.)

Interesting also in terms of the Dominion War. The capture of Betazed would have nearly sliced Federation Space in half.....which also makes Son'a's position a lot more relevant (this should have been a plot point in Insurrection, the film barely justifies it's existence as it is in my books...)

Advertisement