Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather in mind when buying a house.

Options
  • 26-05-2005 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭

Not putting this in the accomodation forum as isnt really about mortgages etc, more specifically the local climate.

Am saving hard to buy a house and being pretty interested in all things meteorological am hoping to buy one somewhere that has a varied as possible a climate in Ireland but must be within commuting distance of Dublin.

Blessington seems to me to be a reasonable choice, fairly high up and inland enough to get cold in winter and probably warmth in summer.

Anyone got any other suggestions?, I do recall that Baltinglass seems to get pretty cold in winter and warm in summer temps from the NRA site but @ 1.5 hours commuting distance from Dublin its not really an option imho.

There are probably towns and villages in Kildare, Meath etc that are in commuting distance of Dublin too that get decent extremes by Irish standards also, that do have housing at a reasonable price (FTB here ).

What areas would you think are ones I should be keeping an eye on that get interesting weather?, the more winter snow the better tbh !! ..summer warmth not as high a priority ..higher and further inland the better!! (within about an hours drive of Dublin city)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Laois has the most extreme of the moderate Irish climate. Summer temps and conditions are the same as or if not ever so slightly higher than say Kilkenny. Winter conditions are colder than Kilkenny and snowfall is comparable to the Birr and Northwest midlands averages.

With motorway the whole way to Portlaoise, Dublin is quite easy accessible. Commuter trains depart Portlaoise each morning.

We also get a nice few thunderstorms too, esp in the centre of the county around Ballacolla/Aghaboe.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I live near Drogheda and i get some crazy weather. Heavy snow in the Winter, also lots of heavy wind and rain. Yet its starting to hot up quite well now as we move into the Summer, don't know it compares to other parts of the country though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Danno wrote:
    Laois has the most extreme of the moderate Irish climate. Summer temps and conditions are the same as or if not ever so slightly higher than say Kilkenny. Winter conditions are colder than Kilkenny and snowfall is comparable to the Birr and Northwest midlands averages.

With motorway the whole way to Portlaoise, Dublin is quite easy accessible. Commuter trains depart Portlaoise each morning.

We also get a nice few thunderstorms too, esp in the centre of the county around Ballacolla/Aghaboe.

Danno, in a car, how long of a drive is it to Dublin city center on a weekday morning /evening from the likes of Portlaoise and Portarlington do you know?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Erm, Depends on traffic. Portlaoise is <1 hour from Dublin on good traffic - but you know what Mad cow roundabout and newlands cross are like...

Go for the height,I suggest a nice bijou appartment on any of the hills overlooking the village of Hollywood about 5 miles south of Blessington.
    Snow is guaranteed in the winter and lots of it and you are just off the N81 well within an hour of Dublin(except during a Blizzard of course :D)

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    Go for the height,I suggest a nice bijou appartment on any of the hills overlooking the village of Hollywood about 5 miles south of Blessington.
    Snow is guaranteed in the winter and lots of it and you are just off the N81 well within an hour of Dublin(except during a Blizzard of course :D)

I like the sound of that !!, hmm must check listings in this area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

we moved to baltinglass from dublin almost 3 years ago, and LOVE it.. i used to commute to dublin each day, and will be again next year as I will be going to UCD, this will be a nightmare but its doable. my husband commutes from balt to churchtown everyday, its approx 50 mins from here to tallaght, and 1hr 10mins from here to churchtown! nice drive.. and hubbie loves it, he says its his hour to sit back and chill to his music after a busy day in work and before the madness of coming home to me and the kids :D i would highly recommend it!! i live in a housing estate and 90per cent of the estate are from dublin!

Ahh the memories :)

I think I'm in a better place now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Supercell wrote: »
    Ahh the memories :)

I think I'm in a better place now :p

I was going to suggest Galway, Mayo, Roscommon or Leitrim and all things Connacht, then I just copped that the thread is 3 years old.

but not too late to change your mind yet.. :p:)

Sounds like a good place your in anyway. Great views and near Dublin, sure what more could you want. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'd give my left one to live in a country setting, anything is better than the suburbs of dublin. Less noise & light pollution and the general scangerisum about the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

ooooppps sorry, i am new to boards.ie so didnt notice how old the thread was!! well did u buy in hollywood afterall?? i would love to live there, eventually!

mumtoe&e wrote: »
    ooooppps sorry, i am new to boards.ie so didnt notice how old the thread was!! well did u buy in hollywood afterall?? i would love to live there, eventually!

Didn't end up in Hollywood but am not that far from there now - I live (rent) in Annamoe in Wicklow which is pretty high up too.
    Had great snow in 2006, very little last year, hopefully this winter will be a bumper one with lots of snow days off work.
    I think I might make it to Roundwood though for a few pints with Arctictree if the weather closes in hehe.
    I couldn't imagine living in the city now, fresh country air and beautiful scenery beats city living hands down.

Advertisement