Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Strange Virus Problem

• 26-05-2005 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭

I got a virus message recently which crashed my machine. I can get into Windows and access the Task Manager to open programs but there's no Start Menu or Desktop Icons. It was giving me a message indicating that explorer was corrupt and offering to send an error report to Microsoft so I replaced the copy of explorer.exe in the windows folder with the explorer.ex_ files stored in the I386 folder of my DELL reinstall disk (obviously, I renamed it during the copy command).

I've run AVG, Microsoft Anti-Spyware and Adaware. Adaware and MAS both picked up some sort of browser hijack attempts which they removed but there's still no task menu, start bar or desktop links.

I'm running Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Try going into safe mode and see if there is something running you dont recognise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Try running scans of your system in safe mode with the internet disconnected. That might remove all the redundant files of the virus as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Safe mode isn't booting any better than normal. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

bit extreme but if you can put the driveinto an external case and scan it from a clean machine, for virii and spywayre.
    that way youll pick up everything and be able to remove them as the files wont actually be in use.

if that doesnt improve things windows wise at least youll be virus freand you can perform a repair install from your xp disc.

thats what i would do.

It's a DELL Reinstall Disk I have and the boot menu offers a repair function but it only seems to give you access to a DOS prompt and some DOS commands to try and fix it.

I was thinking of creating a partition on the disk, placing all my files onto that and reinstalling into a clean partition but there only seems to be 8mb of unpartitioned space on my disk and I don't know how to transfer free space from one partition to another?

• Advertisement

If the drive is large enough you can use partition magic to create a large enough partition on your drive to store all your files in then wipe the main drive and reinstall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

the dell reinstall disc "should" be an xp disc,
    especially if it gives you the dos prompt - google for some commands to try from there.

if it is the xp disc, you can continue with the instllation and it will detect your current xp install, you then press "R" to repair the installation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

It does sound like Explorer.exe has been clobbered. Explorer, in its initial instance, runs as the shell - your start menu, desktop items, etc. You might be able to use the rescue console to retrieve a good explorer.exe from your Dell CD and then boot into Windows OK.

Infini wrote:
    If the drive is large enough you can use partition magic to create a large enough partition on your drive to store all your files in then wipe the main drive and reinstall.
    Partition Magic?

It does sound like Explorer.exe has been clobbered. Explorer, in its initial instance, runs as the shell - your start menu, desktop items, etc. You might be able to use the rescue console to retrieve a good explorer.exe from your Dell CD and then boot into Windows OK.
    That's pretty much what I tried but without any success :(

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote:
    Partition Magic?

linky :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭nutzboutstuff

Putting the drive in an external harddrive and scanning it with anti-virus is a good idea, its what i do when a machine in work is infested with viruses, that or i boot up from a windows xp boot disc, or the six floppies, and manually go through the places where i'd most likely find the virus and remove or rename the files to something i'll remember. The restart the machine. Kaspersky will pick up almost anything even spy ware. and if you buy it, its not costly they usually screw up the license and send you 100 instead of one...

Advertisement