Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IoL - Very Slow.

• 26-05-2005 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Any other IOL'ers getting crap service last few days? I'm meant to be on 2mb and im atm, getting 707kbps according to IrishIsptest and otherwise, generally crap speed. Yesterday the whole show cut out, not letting me do anything. It's quite damn frustrating. So is it just me and my router, or maybe is it my exchange or what?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Perhaps Ring IOL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Irish Broadband up and down tonite..was going ok earlier right now crawling along :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Na I'm getting brill speeds 205 steady :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

crap speeds for me too. modem says i'm only connected at 602kbps down instead of aronub the 2mbps mark. on the phome to them now..

/edit

ok got a fix of them and it worked! you need to do a hardware reset on teh modem. use a pen to hold in the reset button between the power connector and the usb port for 20 seconds. You will then need to go through the wizard set up again so be sure you know your username and password before you reset it!!!
    After you've done that and tested that that works go back to tha main menu
    Select "Maintenance", scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Show Statistics".
    This should open a new window which should display some stats including your
    Upstream and Downstream speeds. Actually you should probably do this step before you reset your modem to see if the speeds your modem is connecting at are fooked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

crap. Have a seperate modem/router. Ah well. Speeds are ok at the mo so i'll wait a while before anymajor resets.Thanks for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Thanks for that Scruff. My speed now is 1.67Mbps & 70.8 kbps.

I'm on the IOL BB Plus package. Does that upload speed seem ok?

as a matter of interest, what are the two packages with IOL

The normal one is 1Mbps with 12GB cap
    and the plus is 2Mbps with 24Gb cap right?

Originally i was a normal customer, but at the mo im getting 1.7Mbps so i must have been upgraded to a plus customer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

no im grand i think its because of your modem. I updated to a wireless router and get 160KB a sec or higher on both pcs

pings are improved i range from 48 - 80 on Half Life 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Mine seems pretty much spot on where it should be.

The web based speed test is coming up at just slighly under 2mbit/sec
    My downloads are always pretty reliable and i'm getting these stats from the modem.

WAN Port Statistics:
    Link Status: Up
    Upstream Speed: 128 kbps
    Downstream Speed: 2048 kbps

IOL BB @ Wellington Road exchange in Cork.

Have you got any dodgy wiring or a phonewatch alarm on the line by any chance?

We got a DECT phone (with a few handsets) and ripped out all the extension sockets completely and our DSL speed's now rock solid.

If you're doing any extra extensions use a decent quality twisted pair cable like CAT5 / 5e. Long runs of that flat telephone cable stuff that you find on those DIY extension kits you can pick up in supermarkets are very prone to picking up interference from GSM phones, microwaves, tvs, electrical wiring etc etc.. they're not sheilded in anyway and can really mess up your DSL or even your 56k modem!

Same with some of the old 1980s internal wiring, if it's not twisted pair and well sheilded it's pretty noise-prone and will behave like an antenna.

Keep the DSL modem's cables away from any RF sources too e.g. don't run the phoneline over the top of a power strip with 6 transformers plugged into it and keep it away from mobile phones, cordlessphones, tvs, microwaves etc etc.

Switching mode power supplies, e.g. those found in computers, tvs and even some domestic spot lighting systems can really put out a lot of interference if they're badly designed. So, Worth keeping your phone line away from any transformers in the attic too.

Even if the line's silent when you listen to it you may be getting noise on the frequencies used for DSL that you can't hear and if its intermittent e.g. from your microwave or mobile phone you might not pick that up in the modem diagnostics either.

Also, make sure you filter everything e.g. sky boxes etc etc.. know a few people who forgot to filter the skybox and their DSL kept intermittently dropping and going weird when the sky box decided to report home or check the line was still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

TimAy wrote:
    The normal one is 1Mbps with 12GB cap
    and the plus is 2Mbps with 24Gb cap right?

Correct

What upload speeds are people getting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i get about 113kbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Download 213 kBps
    Upload 11.7 kBps

And I'm on iolbb 2Mb package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

With BT 1 MB i get;

Down: 925 kbps
    Up: 90 kbps

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I guess I must just fantastic generally :)

WAN Port Statistics:

:D:D:D

been fiddiling around with settings and it looks likes the problem is with my PC. The other PC on the WLAN has perfect speeds. Router is grand too. So i dunno whats going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

you may have spyware taking up some of your pc's bandwidth to the router. If you have a firewall you could check what percentage of your bandwidth is being used by programmes, ie like the traffic monitor in mcafee firewall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Solair, theyre not the speeds you're getting, they're the speeds youre connected at.

Everyone is talking about the *actual* speed of the line, ie. when doing a speedtest at some whebsite.

right, please say someone else is having REALLY bad speeds on IOL? Mine are seriously bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tHe_DaGs_BaGs

nope, mine is fine (for http/ftp anyway).

P2P is crap, but that's down to the upload speed more than anything.

another thing that's known to cause speed problems is the vga lead to your monitor.

i've laid a modem cable over the vga lead whilst downloading something and it cut the speed in half. took it away and it went up to full speed again.

just something to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

Have you checked your Line Status? Or Rang them?
    If your still getting 707 then that means that 23% of your line is occupied by noise etc.
    Check it out in the Zyxel Modem DSL Line Diagnostics page...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

Could be a broken filter.
    There are a lot of phones that dont work well with BB on the line.
    I had to get rid of my old Avoca phone coz it did the same...
    Try getting a new filter from Peats or Maplins..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Fionn McCOOL

Solair wrote:
    I guess I must just fantastic generally :)

WAN Port Statistics:

:D:D:D

Same here. Not before I reset the modem.Girl from BT told me slow speeds were due to poor quality of line and that my area was due to be upgraded later this year....Pffft, BT efficient or what.

Advertisement