Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running Visa Machines,Lottery Machines and Fax Machine off VoIP?

• 26-05-2005 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭

I would like to know if anyone has used a Visa Machine, Lottery Machine or a Fax Machine over VoIP using a Telephone Adapter.

Also does any one know how to get a Visa Machine or Lottery Machine to run off a Broadband Connection?

Any idea’s,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭puma5k

Any idea's Has it been done, Or am i in the form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I think fax machines need slightly different VOIP protocol (FOIP maybe lol).

Afaik -arent Visa machines just basically a modem? In which case VOIP wont work.
    I would also presume that there were some pretty serious security issues to overcome before you could have a IP based visa machine connecting over BB.

Thanks squirrel, do you know of this Fax protocal. Also there must be some way the supermarkets ts do it. i.e Tesco etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

puma5k wrote:
    Thanks squirrel, do you know of this Fax protocal. Also there must be some way the supermarkets ts do it. i.e Tesco etc.

I'm pretty sure Supermarkets etc use standard phone lines and/or ISDN Lines for lottery/CC machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

puma5k wrote:
    Thanks squirrel, do you know of this Fax protocal.

Do a search for fax in this forum - the topic has been mentioned before - try the blueface thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

just to note, if you use 711 instead of 729 (the full rate no compression codec) you can manage low speed data calls, 9600 (fax speed) is hit and miss, but 2400 works just fine. I use it all the time with a sipura.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Quoting from here
    puma5k wrote:
    But if Fax is to work over VoIP, Can a Visa Machine work over that same protocol (G711) or is there a better solution like the Visa Machine connected directly to an IP network?
    Credit card terminals work at 1200-2400bps so can be used over VoIP.
    There is a CyberCash Credit Card Protocol which allows IP based credit card transactions.
    For FoIP see this link Aaron posted in a different thread

Do you have a specific requirement or is it purely academic interest?

hth,
    causal

Thanks causal and others.
    This helps allot as I was trying to see if Broadband could completely eliminate the old PSTN line. Also my neighbour’s shop would switch completely to broadband if he could get rid of line rental.

Academically I just would like to know more about VoIP

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭capistrano

I recently upgraded the firmware on my Sipura 2100 ATA to 3.1.2(b) and I can now send faxes - previously I wasn't able to.

I haven't tried receiving faxes because I have only the one line and the fax maxchine is setup to answer after 6 rings and the blueface answering service kicks in before this.

Interesting.
    What speed are the faxes being sent at? 9600
    What vocoder and sample rate are you using? A or U law, G72X?

You can ask Aaron to increase the time before the blueface voicemail kicks in. By default it kicks in at 20 seconds, but I had mine increased to 30 seconds because I wanted my DECT voicemail to kick in at 25 seconds. It's approx 5 seconds between rings. Or you could set the fax to answer quicker ;)

causal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭capistrano

causal wrote:
    What speed are the faxes being sent at? 9600
    No idea. Is this a fax machine setting?
    What vocoder and sample rate are you using? A or U law, G72X?
    G711u.

I didn't change any settings after upgrading the firmware. I suppose it is possible I just got lucky - I've only had occasion to send one fax since.

capistrano wrote:
    No idea. Is this a fax machine setting?
    Yes, but I doubt you can change it unless it's a PC fax card.
    9600 bps is the standard (Group 3) fax data rate.
    Although Group 3 supports speeds upto 14400.
    G711u.
    That should be capable of sending/receiving at 14400, according to this guy (who Aaron says is the FoIP man).
    Looks good capistrano :)

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

puma5k wrote:

Supermarkets use standard PSTN lines for credit card transactions like most retailers...its advised that you use clean lines for both. I dont believe VOIP is ready to switch credit card/lottery machines over to it yet .... for the sake of saving €15 on line rental per month it could cost you more if your internet went down ..

Advertisement