Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carport options

Options
  • 27-05-2005 6:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Foundations were poured yesterday!

We are going to have a carport that will link the house and the garage, I would be interested in people's opinions on how best to go about it.

Bear with me with this post (I have just lost a long post because of a keyboard error)

The carport will be 6m long (from house to Garage) and about 5m wide.

Originally we were considering building it using glass, but then decided to build it using the same materials as the roof of the house and the roof of the garage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Goll Mac Morna

This was also because in the original plans the carport ran out from the back of the house (perpendicular to it) and its roofline continued on to form the roof of a single storey garage, this made sense as the one long roof could cover both garage and carport and marry in well.

We have since been granted permission to build a 2 storey garage so the roofline issue is no longer relevant.

I was thinking an option would be to build
    1. A Glass roof using safety glass etc. PROs bright+light CONs Cost+Dirt
    2. A Perspex roof (flat clear sheets) PROs bright+light CONs Dirt + Scratches
    3 A mixture of metal with glass or perspex panels
    4 A Type of canopy made of some synthetic material
    5 Wooden Frame with glass?

I was also thinking the steeper the pitch the better with glass so that the rain would clean it?

There is no load on the roof, save for heavy snow if it comes
    what we are looking for is something that looks good, doesn't cost a fortune and will keep us dry when we go out to the bin!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi Goll Mac Morna.

Is the roof going to be a monopitch or duo pitch, ( single or double slope ).

Although it will be attached at each end to the , garage one end, house other end, will there be a wall running from garage to house along the back of the carport.

Will there be a support column/pillar mid way, where you drive into the carport.

Help Rooferpete, I feel a 3d cad urge coming on...aaarrrgghh...

Glass roof. Extremely expensive, needing major structural support. Not diy friendly.

Polycarbonate panels. Cheaper, lighter. Definitely diy friendly. Quick install.

Wooden frame. Again would require laminated/ toughened glass. Costly.

If your existing new build is slated, why not carry this appearence through on the carport. Standard roof construction, unless you are looking for a distinct visual change between house and garage.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Gol..........

Is this carport a feature of the house ? and is it likely to be closed in like a walkway in the furure ?

There is another product that you might consider, a sheet very similar in profile to cladding, it is supposed to be used on all factory buildings for safety.

I will look for a web link it is very strong and has a coating that stops it breaking down from UV exposure.

The Polycarbonate can be expensive and unless you use the proper glazing bars it tends to leak and the ends where the double / triple glaze effect is can draw moss back into the core.

Perspex cracks very easy especially where it can be subject to wind uplift, also a nuisance to repair.

Glass needs a lot of support and would need to toughened for a roof so expensive would be a start.

I will be back later you might have a chance to take a look at the questions by then.

I hope you don't need the services of RooKad for this, it's getting embarassing, did you hear about the new Merc he ordered ? :):):)

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi Gol..........

Is this carport a feature of the house ? and is it likely to be closed in like a walkway in the furure ?

There is another product that you might consider, a sheet very similar in profile to cladding, it is supposed to be used on all factory buildings for safety.

I hope you don't need the services of RooKad for this, it's getting embarassing, did you hear about the new Merc he ordered ? :):):)

That's not Kingspan double skin cladding you're thinking about Rooferpete, is it. :confused:

New Merc, fat chance on what the Rookad board pays me, maybe a ride on mower to go to work. :D

Any more info on layout, Goll. We're waiting to roll. :)

kadman wrote:
    That's not Kingspan double skin cladding you're thinking about Rooferpete, is it. :confused:

New Merc, fat chance on what the Rookad board pays me, maybe a ride on mower to go to work. :D

Any more info on layout, Goll. We're waiting to roll. :)

Hi Kadman,

Spot on old chap ;) it's not the Kingspan product :)

Some people are so ungrateful have you checked out how much ride on mower is these days ? :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi Kadman,

Spot on old chap ;) it's not the Kingspan product :)

Some people are so ungrateful have you checked out how much ride on mower is these days ? :D:D:D

Just have to comment
    Can you imagine being in a pub or trapped in a lift between that pair (Kad & Pete) for an hour or so, when they start throwing those "one liners" about. God I'd hate to get caught in the crossfire..."tin bowlers and slit trenches" everyone...lol
    t
    PS Now guys lol = joke....Don't start on me

tapest wrote:
    Just have to comment
    Can you imagine being in a pub or trapped in a lift between that pair (Kad & Pete) for an hour or so, when they start throwing those "one liners" about. God I'd hate to get caught in the crossfire..."tin bowlers and slit trenches" everyone...lol
    t
    PS Now guys lol = joke....Don't start on me

Hi Tapest,

Yes, we'd all be fit for the psycho ward then. But look at all the free consultation you could soak up from the Rookad tech team in an hour, would you be up to it. :D

Goll, any more info for me, I might get to knock up a cad pic, if you hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LSLFAN

Slightly different tack if you don't mind my asking.

When we bought our house the carport had already been converted - we use it as the kids playroom with TV, computer, Sky (hey, we use it as well!!).

Find that the room is a bit cold, ok once the radiator is on but gets cold quickly. Presume its not insulated as well as the rest of the house.

Any ideas on how to address this?

Many thanks.

Hi,

Was the roof changed or do you still have the carport roof ? if the roof wasn't changed and insulated any heat is heading straight out through it.

As for the walls you could look at insulating and dry ling them that would help a lot but only if the roof is insulated as well.

Only getting back to this thread now as I have been away all weekend, with no easy access to the web.

The carport will run from the house to the garage behind the house so it will not be a main feature although it will be seen from the patio area we hope to create at the back of the house.

To answer some of the earlier questions roof will be duo-pitch as a link (across the back driveway) from house to garage, the idea being that you drive around the back of the house get out at the back door (under the carport) and drive away again the other direction.

Its main function will be to keep people dry getting out and in to cars, to provide an outside area that is covered if you want to do stuff outside...to allow you to come and go to the garage without getting soaked.

Our original idea was to use the same materials as those used for the main house and garage roofs i.e. slate, but we are just trying to work through other options (I would only move away from slate if I was getting something that would look better so in a way I suppose I want it to be a feature, I have seen some carports made of cheap looking perspex type material + they don't look great.)

The attraction of a transparent material is that it would let lots of light in

• Advertisement

Hi Goll,

Sorry to impose this on you at this late hour but I can't picture it, sad to say but you have now employed RooKad to come up with a delightful set of 3 D drawings comlete with the Design and Innovation package ;)

You are very lucky though there is a special rate for all confirmed orders before the first of June, the deal is 25% of July rates, boy were you lucky I saw this in time :)

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi Goll,

Sorry to impose this on you at this late hour but I can't picture it, sad to say but you have now employed RooKad to come up with a delightful set of 3 D drawings comlete with the Design and Innovation package ;)

You are very lucky though there is a special rate for all confirmed orders before the first of June, the deal is 25% of July rates, boy were you lucky I saw this in time :)

That's an excellent sales ploy Rooferpete. Forcing the client to employ Rookad, that's new. :D:D

If he doesn't pay up then, can we send around the heavies. :D:D

I'll have to look in to this one, are we using purlins only running in line with the ridge, timber rafters running perpendicular to the ridge, or structural aluminium rafters perp to the ridge.

Or maybe slate at low level for 4-5 rows, rise up in a vertical plane for a full length dormer glazed panel for light, and then drop back to the same roof slope and continue to ridgeline. Mirror the same on the back, hey presto benefits of slate to match existing, vertical dormer panels, cheaper than structural glazing for light. Job done and dusted. :cool:

Ah yes the old brains on the move, I'll try and knock something together, if I can get the time. :)

Whats the original spec on the plans.

Kadman, Kadman :)

Will I ever learn Ye :)

You PM the Punter oops client and gently get him to give you the budget to design to :)

Simple really he just priced his own job :D:D:D

Just doodling.

Just doodling,

Hi Kadman,

Very nice doodles, eh what are they ? :D:D:D

Me thinks that design would be a really class addition to any house, I think I'll save them for the next time I've been a bold boy ;)

I reckon show that to "She who must be obeyed" and the old Vision but no Sound could be corrected fairly sharpish :D:D:D

Thanks to all who have contributed to this query on carports particularly the esteemed ROOKAD, extremely helpful and innovative suggestions gratefully received.
    I really liked your roof design KADMAN, thanks for the great advice and useful 'pointers' RooferPETE.
    I will let you know how we get on.

The reason I have been so slow getting back to this is because I have been very much involved in the 'practice' as opposed to the theory this past fortnight -pouring foundations, ordering materials, visiting the site etc. etc.

Does that mean Rookad can invoice you now then. : :D:D:D

KADMAN
    I have been waiting patiently for an invoice but it must have been lost in the POST(S) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Damn.
    We've been ripped off again Rooferpete, by those crafty customers.

• Advertisement

Hi Kadman,

Have Guido De Rasor or the Lenny De Gimp ever let us down ?

RooKad will never have a bad debt problem so long as you buy those Gents a Pint of Arthurs Brew ;)

They Love their work so much they even collect the commission themselves :)

:D:D:D

I have kind of changed my mind re: the car port roof.
    I am considering creating a balcony type area instead of the car port.
    This will be at the back of the house and totally private.
    I have seen many balconies on houses that are at the front facing a main road and are probably never used because they have no privacy.

The area would be approx 6m by 4m, at the minute according to the plans a door would lead out onto the balcony or roof garden from the bedroom and another door would lead onto it from the 1st floor of the garage.

The reason I am considering this is because I want to have a car port, but if I use some concrete flooring (usual max. span 5m) instead of a roof to create the car port I can use it as an outdoor space, I would obviously have walls and railings at the sides for safety.

I might have to consider creating a doorway from the 1st floor of the house that does not go through a bedroom, but the room I am thinking of using is planned as a guest room anyway.

I think it would be nice to sit out on a planted terrace.
    I do have some concerns re: security (people climbing up) and children teenagers jumping form it as daredevils.

What do others think, I don't want to create a white elephant that will never be used, but at the same time I want to keep my options open.

Hi goll,

Something like the attached ?

That's a possibility Rooferpete.
    What is the surface on that terrace?

Advertisement