Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

name and shame

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

could list the places I've worked but that would be a waste of time, I did care about customers, up to £400 sterling a week in tips proved that. If I had been seen I would have made it look like the wine was changed and not been seen doing it, secure in the knowledge that I was not going to hurt anyone, maybe just an ego or two.( ten years in the industry).

Im sure you could. Im sure it would be a waste of time. I dont want to know how much you earn. Heres the thing:

I dont want to pay €4.50 for a few dollops of wine from god knows how long they are sitting there bottles. We ordered house wine so Im not expecting anything. I dont want some smart arsed barman doing that to my face and I want to know when did this become acceptable Mr 10 years I earn 400 quid a week? Is it too much to ask? From the last few industry answers I can see why the industry is so bad over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Remind me never to go to dinner with you Purdee. I'd say you're a nightmare. "Honeykins, that horrid man over at that table is using a dessert spoon for his soup. Do something about it". Hyacinth Bucket hasn't a patch on you love. At least she's a fictional character. You're the real deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Its only a glass of wine, calm down woman.
    You really need to get out more

Remind me never to go to dinner with you Purdee. I'd say you're a nightmare. "Honeykins, that horrid man over at that table is using a dessert spoon for his soup. Do something about it". Hyacinth Bucket hasn't a patch on you love. At least she's a fictional character. You're the real deal.

I dont go to McDs so your safe.

Its only a glass of wine, calm down woman

Hhhmmm....I think i may agree. Big L?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭weemcd

hahaha

Best thread I’ve ever read in a long time

The fact that you are putting three exclamation marks in a row on a letter shows how highly strung and how much of pain in the ass you must be in real life. Send that to the restaurant, they will get a good laugh out of it.

Hyacinth Bucket, couldnt have put it any better myself TheBigLebowski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

purdee wrote:
    I dont want to pay €4.50 for a few dollops of wine from god knows how long they are sitting there bottles.

BUT DID YOU???????? :mad:

:D I seem to have pissed off every waiter in Dublin today.
    Dont blame me cos yell drink anything out of a shoe and feel the need to defend yourselves.

didn't come out of a shoe, it came out of a (three) bottle, are you delusional?

Answer the above question, for some reason you seem to be avoiding it to the bitter end...... I wonder why? //me eyes roll suspiciously

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Raiser wrote:
    Lebowski people of your "ilk" are as "common as muck"

Raiser people of your "ilk" are about as "pretentious as people come in real life". A completely unnecessary rant about mixing wine in a cheap restaurant? Please off to Rolys Bistro with you. nono.gif
    Raiser wrote:
    The first wine was decanted from a full bodied Chateau Saint Elisabeth packed with red and black cherry fruits, with hints of pepper, spice, and the local wild 'Garrigue' herbs.

The second from an appealing and highly drinkable blend of Cinsault, Carignan, Syrah, Merlot and just a hint of Tempranillo. Made for early drinking in a very open and fruity style, it comes from Jacques Frelin's second estate.

The third bottle delighted the senses with selected parcels of old vines planted with Syrah and Grenache on the slopes of Mont Ventoux were harvested and vinified following rigorous methods to produce an intensely rich, structured wine. The wine is smooth and rich and is like a treasure trove for the inquisitive palate.

Clearly these should NOT be mixed.

If you pay peanuts you'll get monkeys.

znaika.gif

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

Im with you Purdee, this bad service cr@p gets me down.

Ignore the baiting shmucks

For the record - its never OK to more diff bottles of wine into the same glass...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think you can safely say that she did considering she's avoided answering that Gilgamesh.

purdee I'm glad you edited the husband/boyfriend part but it makes me wonder how much more of your letter was falsified for effect. I'm also glad you did the letter, too few people write letters of complaint these days, sure some can only text these days...

I'm not surprised people are having a go at you as you sound like the type of customer that would give me a headache, however I've only ever worked in bars. Personally I would respect the feelings of a customer if they had such annoyances of the triple bottle filler but I would make sure to decant the rest of the wine into a fresh looking bottle for next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

purdee wrote:
    Im sure you could. Im sure it would be a waste of time. I dont want to know how much you earn. Heres the thing:

I dont want to pay €4.50 for a few dollops of wine from god knows how long they are sitting there bottles. We ordered house wine so Im not expecting anything. I dont want some smart arsed barman doing that to my face and I want to know when did this become acceptable Mr 10 years I earn 400 quid a week? Is it too much to ask? From the last few industry answers I can see why the industry is so bad over here.

You are purposely missing the point I think. My point was not how much I earn, that was only the tips part anyway, my point was that I provided a very high level of service resulting in very high tips( high tips are evidence of good service in the UK where they are not noted as tippers traditionally, I have also worked and was trained by a master chef in Germany) and definitely have more experience in gastronomy than your good self.

It became acceptable when people decided they wanted a glass of wine thereby giving the right to the barman to do what he wants as long as you get your 0.125 litre of wine and it is not spoiled and is drinkable.
    There is no law against what you saw and it is definitely standard practice.
    Of course you would throw it out at home.

Oh yeah, DID YOU PAY FOR THE WINE????????

• Registered Users Posts: 40,249 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Gilgamesh wrote:
    didn't come out of a shoe, it came out of a (three) bottle, are you delusional?

Answer the above question, for some reason you seem to be avoiding it to the bitter end...... I wonder why? //me eyes roll suspiciously

Yeah but Paul Daniels the barman hardly helped things did he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Purdee your letter should have been a forthright, concise, unpretentious document detailing why you felt that the restaurant had a case to answer and asking for a reasonable reply. A few lines would have done it.

As is you made up a husband and packed it full of such silly, off-topic and incorrect detail that you lost all your credibility.

For instance you said this morning at 10.28 that it happened last night, yet the letter begins along the lines of - on WEDNESDAY myself and my intellectually-attired husband of many years stepped forth in the early evening to thrive and imbibe in your eatery.... He likes cheese and yet most cheeses dislike him with an intensity I can only attribute to his Armadillo-skin Gucci slip-ons.....

Don't be petty, go live your life and have some fun.

Raiser wrote:
    Lebowski people of your "ilk" are as "common as muck"

The first wine was decanted from a full bodied Chateau Saint Elisabeth packed with red and black cherry fruits, with hints of pepper, spice, and the local wild 'Garrigue' herbs.

The second from an appealing and highly drinkable blend of Cinsault, Carignan, Syrah, Merlot and just a hint of Tempranillo. Made for early drinking in a very open and fruity style, it comes from Jacques Frelin's second estate.

The third bottle delighted the senses with selected parcels of old vines planted with Syrah and Grenache on the slopes of Mont Ventoux were harvested and vinified following rigorous methods to produce an intensely rich, structured wine. The wine is smooth and rich and is like a treasure trove for the inquisitive palate.

Clearly these should NOT be mixed.

haha excellent, brilliant, pissin meself here.

Sorry, wasnt avoiding it. Im at work so I have to look as tho Im doing something very busy.
    yes, it was pais for. I think I said that earlier, cant re and am not reading back through cos this is getting too boring for now. I wanted to take it up but the other half just wanted to leave. So did I at that point tbh.
    Im getting my coat again!

For instance you said this morning at 10.28 that it happened last night, yet the letter begins along the lines of - on WEDNESDAY myself and my intellectually-attired husband of many years stepped forth in the early evening to thrive and imbibe in your eatery.... He likes cheese and yet most cheeses dislike him with an intensity I can only attribute to his Armadillo-skin Gucci slip-ons.....

very good! I already admitted that the content wasnt great.

purdee I'm glad you edited the husband/boyfriend part but it makes me wonder how much more of your letter was falsified for effect. I'm also glad you did the letter

That was it guv...honest!
    Im tired of the baiting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

purdee wrote:
    very good! I already admitted that the content wasnt great.

Wasn't great? rotfl.gif

In fairness I haven't laughed at a thread this much since I saw U2 tickets for cost price.

M

• Advertisement

purdee wrote:
    I think I said that earlier, cant re and am not reading back through cos this is getting too boring for now.
    Please don't write a letter of complaint to boards.

Gordon wrote:
    I think you can safely say that she did considering she's avoided answering that Gilgamesh.

Na Na, she didn't avoid THAT Gilgamesh after all

also you are saying, it is okay for the waiter to serve the wine out of three bottles, he was just too stupid to not have mixed them together earlier.

Gordon, I am schocked, :eek:

purdee wrote:
    Sorry, wasnt avoiding it. Im at work so I have to look as tho Im doing something very busy.
    yes, it was pais for. I think I said that earlier, cant re and am not reading back through cos this is getting too boring for now. I wanted to take it up but the other half just wanted to leave. So did I at that point tbh.
    Im getting my coat again!

Ok so you both accepted the situation and paid for the wine, why nark at the workers now when you could have sent it back there and then. You have the comfort of distance now and no humans to face, so can get all brave and write your letter.
    In my opinion your credibility was shattered when you paid for the wine, the "right" thing to do if you felt so strongly about it was to refuse to pay at the time and say why, not pay and complain later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Bluetonic wrote:
    Extremely badly executed complaint, full of ranting and raving.

They'll defintely be laughing at you now.

Shut up.

I found it every bit of rantful that the manager of those idiotic and appalling staff deserves.

They deserve to be fired.

Honestly, let us know what the response it (if there is one)

If hes any kind of a manager, he certainly will not be laughing at such a letter from any customer, let alone one thats been going there for years.

/Although whats with the stupid details? Admittadly they are utterly pointless and more likely to make the manager wonder if its some kind of practical joke

Gilgamesh wrote:
    Na Na, she didn't avoid THAT Gilgamesh after all

also you are saying, it is okay for the waiter to serve the wine out of three bottles, he was just too stupid to not have mixed them together earlier.

Gordon, I am schocked, :eek:
    That's what I would have done as a barman. You would be amazed at what goes on behind the scenes.. On one hand you have to give good service to the customer but on the other hand you have to keep your bosses happy.

However if I saw someone doing it if I was the customer I wouldn't be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

purdee wrote:
    That was it guv...honest!
    Im tired of the baiting now.

Long and the short of it is, that you have a valid complaint let down by a poorly drafted letter.

As for your detractor's it's good to know that there are still people in the country who will eat sh*t and thank you for it... i might open a restaurant myself... Off to Burgerking with the lot of ye, and off to your home for a can of Dutch Gold after.

Fat Tony's Pizzeria... Our wine comes in a box.

just kidding Gord, I am aware that no company can afford to throw a product away what is still in a more than suitable condition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Ok so you both accepted the situation and paid for the wine, why nark at the workers now when you could have sent it back there and then. You have the comfort of distance now and no humans to face, so can get all brave and write your letter.
    In my opinion your credibility was shattered when you paid for the wine, the "right" thing to do if you felt so strongly about it was to refuse to pay at the time and say why, not pay and complain later.

Read the goddamned posts... she said that her other half didn't want to cause a scene an, by the end, nor did she... FFS!

Shut up.

I found it every bit of rantful that the manager of those idiotic and appalling staff deserves.

They deserve to be fired.

So will the manager ask the new staff if they will promise to open a new bottle of wine for every glass that is ordered or will he simply tell them to make sure they are never caught again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well having worked in the industry so long as long as all were fresh then yeah, it wouldn't bother me.
    What would you do at home?

Ask for a Coke in a restaurant, and get a mix of the dregs of Diet Coke, Pepsi and Coke.

Sure why bother complaining, its good as new

:rolleyes:

Advertisement