Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

name and shame

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

landser wrote:
    Read the goddamned posts... she said that her other half didn't want to cause a scene an, by the end, nor did she... FFS!

So they cause a scene later and try to get someone disciplined, like I said, they were being precious. If it's worth writing a letter about it is worth complaining about at the time, oh yeah I forgot they made their unhappiness known telepathically and it was obvious by the untouched glasses that they were unhappy :rolleyes:

Ask for a Coke in a restaurant, and get a mix of the dregs of Diet Coke, Pepsi and Coke.

Sure why bother complaining, its good as new

:rolleyes:

No that is not what happened, they were all bottles of house wine.
    If you were in a country like Germany where coke in a pub or restaurant often comes from a large bottle this could indeed happen just the brands would all be the same, I did it throusands of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

Blub2k4 wrote:
    So will the manager ask the new staff if they will promise to open a new bottle of wine for every glass that is ordered or will he simply tell them to make sure they are never caught again?

you've completely missed the point... again.

Do you know what the "dregs" of a bottle of wine actully is... ie. it's sediment. It's bad enough to get sediment from one bottle,never mind two! No one, incl. the OP expected a new bottle to be opened, she did not expect however to have the dregs from two bottles to be emptied into her glass and then have it topped off by a third. had the barman merely emptied one bottle in and then topped it up with the second, there would have been no problem... this is normal and not cause for complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

purdee wrote:
    :D I seem to have pissed off every waiter in Dublin today.
    Dont blame me cos yell drink anything out of a shoe and feel the need to defend yourselves.

Wow. I was sort of sympathetic to your cause (or whatever) after reading your first posts, but you've just gone and ruined that. Way to make yourself come across badly.

landser wrote:

Do you know what the "dregs" of a bottle of wine actully is... ie. it's sediment. It's bad enough to get sediment from one bottle,never mind two! No one, incl. the OP expected a new bottle to be opened, she did not expect however to have the dregs from two bottles to be emptied into her glass and then have it topped off by a third. had the barman merely emptied one bottle in and then topped it up with the second, there would have been no problem... this is normal and not cause for complaint.

When was the last time you saw dregs in a bottle of house standard red wine?
    The sediment, not the concept of the end of a bottle. You do see it in classically brewed wine but not generally in house standard bottles.
    Unlike yourself I DO know what I am talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

landser wrote:

errrr..... shut up.... PLEASE???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

landser wrote:

Tbh, i think you are reading to much into the term "dregs". I took it to mean the end of an already opened bottle. I doubt many house wines would have sediment in them. They don't tend to be old enough.

maybe he pees in his bottle at the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

purdee wrote:
    :D I seem to have pissed off every waiter in Dublin today.
    Dont blame me cos yell drink anything out of a shoe and feel the need to defend yourselves.

That reminds me of a time I drank beer out of a shoe for a bet in Majorca some years back.. I wouldn't recommend it :eek:

Blub2k4 wrote:
    When was the last time you saw dregs in a bottle of house standard red wine?

in some wine i had yesterday, a temprenillo... cost €8,95 and it had sediment in it.

this is pointless.. i might as well wait for the thousand monkeys in my shed to write hamlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Some years ago I was eating at a very expensive restaurant - lets call it Chez Pierre. Anyway the Maitre D was a pleasant, friendly young man, but foolish and somewhat impudent in his demeanour, more of this later.

Upon ordering the duck pate, a platter of what was unmistakably GOOSE pate followed and was slyly placed before me. on challenging the help I was told - "But this eez le Canard" - protestations were bandied back and forth and I refuted all - my might was my right. Then with a flourish I produced an empty tin of Goose pate from a near-by gold plated refuse receptacle.

To conlcude, I drafted on vellum parchment a note so acidic in its tone that it irrepairably scored the 17th century Italian leather veneer on my 13th century Swiss writing bureau.

In consequence the young Maitre D had his employment terminated in short order. A number of months ago I had the satifaction of seeing him sleeping under a bridge. As I passed I sneered "Là où est votre canard maintenant?" or for the ill-schooled amongst you, "Where is your DUCK now?"

landser wrote:
    this is pointless.. i might as well wait for the thousand monkeys in my shed to write hamlet.

why wait, eason's has them on sale :D

Gilgamesh wrote:
    errrr..... shut up.... PLEASE???

ask me arse, you bottom feeding troll

Gilgamesh wrote:
    why wait, eason's has them on sale :D

... what, a thousand monkeys?

landser wrote:
    ... what, a thousand monkeys?

am I replying to the Arse now?

Gilgamesh wrote:
    am I replying to the Arse now?

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Purdee, I think the main problem is with the layout of your complaint.

If you want to complain about a single incident, then complain about a single incident.

"Dear Sir/Madam,

My partner and I eat regularly at your restaurants. We appreciate that we are paying a reasonable price for an acceptable quality of food.

However, on our last visit, it came to our attention that your staff will pour a number of different bottle-ends into a single glass of wine. We complained on the evening, and found the waitress to be unsympathetic. Furthermore, the barman did not change our glasses, as requested, he simply hid them behind the bar, and then produced the same glasses again.

We found the treatment of our complaint by both the barman and the waitress to be quite patronising. We would like to hear your views on our experience. If you would like more detail about what happened, please do not hesitate to contact me".

Frankly, I would have fallen over bored and thought "what a kook" when I got as far as the comment about the fish being off. Sorry, so you think "these things happen" because the fish was off? For me, freshest quality produce is the first rule in a restaurant - your excusing of them getting something so basic wrong sets you up to be ignored for complaining about what is quite a common (unfortunately) practice - topping up house wine from a number of bottles.

You have to pick your fights with restaurants - especially in Dublin. You are but one customer. They can, literally, afford to lose you. They can't afford to lose everyone, but you're not everyone, and if you rant the way you did, then you become more trouble than you're worth to pacify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Purdee just loves to complain,
    About what in her bottle remains,
    She should learn to relax,
    Before she pees in her cacks,
    And maybe just use some of her brains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Purdee, I think the main problem is with the layout of your complaint.

If you want to complain about a single incident, then complain about a single incident.

"Dear Sir/Madam,

My partner and I eat regularly at your restaurants. We appreciate that we are paying a reasonable price for an acceptable quality of food.

However, on our last visit, it came to our attention that your staff will pour a number of different bottle-ends into a single glass of wine. We complained on the evening, and found the waitress to be unsympathetic. Furthermore, the barman did not change our glasses, as requested, he simply hid them behind the bar, and then produced the same glasses again.

We found the treatment of our complaint by both the barman and the waitress to be quite patronising. We would like to hear your views on our experience. If you would like more detail about what happened, please do not hesitate to contact me".

Frankly, I would have fallen over bored and thought "what a kook" when I got as far as the comment about the fish being off. Sorry, so you think "these things happen" because the fish was off? For me, freshest quality produce is the first rule in a restaurant - your excusing of them getting something so basic wrong sets you up to be ignored for complaining about what is quite a common (unfortunately) practice - topping up house wine from a number of bottles.

You have to pick your fights with restaurants - especially in Dublin. You are but one customer. They can, literally, afford to lose you. They can't afford to lose everyone, but you're not everyone, and if you rant the way you did, then you become more trouble than you're worth to pacify.

Best advice given on this troll infested thread

sets you up to be ignored for complaining about what is quite a common (unfortunately) practice - topping up house wine from a number of bottles.

What is wrong with filling from different bottles? If the restaurant has any trade the house bottes are never there longer than overnight.
    Do you all think wine becomes poisonous when it is mixed with wine from a different bottle.

Raiser....classic.haha.

"Là où est votre canard maintenant?"

muahahha

• Advertisement

No, actually, I think it's quite acceptable to top up house wine from different bottles. When you're buying a set wine by the glass you don't really have grounds to specifiy that you want wine from a single bottle in the glass - the house takes a risk opening a bottle when you want just a glass. As long as it's not been left open and unsealed for a long time, then it's fine. Chances are, if they hadn't seen it happen they wouldn't have noticed a difference.

The 'unfortunately' bit comes from the chance that you are drinking something opened on Tuesday with something opened an hour ago.

However, if the waitress, or the barman, had taken the time explaining the house ethic on house wine, they wouldn't have to read Purdee's rambling snipes about fish and lovely people.

A good restaurant experience isn't just about eating and drinking you know...

However, if the waitress, or the barman, had taken the time explaining the house ethic on house wine, they wouldn't have to read Purdee's rambling snipes about fish and lovely people.

Have you forgotten about the soda bread travesty?

I dunno Koneko, I'm used to asking for specifics in order to avoid disappointment.

E.g. "Could I have a piece of white crusty bread to mop this up with", or "have you a piece of ciabatta I could mop this up with". And if I was offered soda bread, I'd have no qualms about saying "oh, sorry, no, I wanted white bread, I should have said".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

You were dead right to complain. Judging by some of the comments on this thread it's not surprising that the standards in Irish restaurants are so bad. Most posters seem happy to accept muck and pay well for it - I'm amazed at some of the comments.

You were well within your rights to complain. Personally, I think you should have complained on the night to the manager and refused to pay for the wine but different strokes for different folks.
    purdee wrote:
    :mad: :mad: :mad: This happened last night .....Im so mad.

To the Manager of Casa Pasta:

On Wednesday 26/05/2005 my husband and I visited your restaurant in the early evening. Being fairly frequent customers we are well aware of the varying......

A good restaurant experience isn't just about eating and drinking you know...

Yes I am aware of that, the correct course of action, and what I would have done myself is to go back with the wine and get another two fresh glasses and then give the wine to the next non-observant customer.
    You always have to appear to do the right thing by the customer, it was handled badly by the staff possibly, but there is nothing worse than a customer who is up themselves and complains after paying, the OP handled it badly by paying for the goods there and then.
    If a customer hands a product back without touching it and states that it did not meet their expectations you take it back and apologise, game over. A letter is undoubtedly better for feelings of self importance however.

Koneko wrote:
    Have you forgotten about the soda bread travesty?

Yes surely focaccia would have been the way to go there :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, but rotten fish is par for the course.
    PaschalNee wrote:
    Most posters seem happy to accept muck and pay well for it - I'm amazed at some of the comments.

I dunno Koneko, I'm used to asking for specifics in order to avoid disappointment.

E.g. "Could I have a piece of white crusty bread to mop this up with", or "have you a piece of ciabatta I could mop this up with". And if I was offered soda bread, I'd have no qualms about saying "oh, sorry, no, I wanted white bread, I should have said".

Exactly :)
    In case anyone couldn't tell, I wasn't being serious. Not getting the exact type of bread you wanted is not a big deal, just tell them what you want and they'll get it. I think overall that was the problem with all of it. If you're not happy with something you get, say so, instead of putting up with it and getting angry for days afterwards.

From the original post:
    "When he asked for bread to mop it up with – this is actually descending into a complete farce at this point – he got soda bread!!"

And do you think that that would have stopped the restaurant from carrying out their fiendishly hatched plan on this night?
    They were so obviously out to get them, they would have found something else to annoy them, they no doubt had a list of things to do in case the old "soda bread trick" failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Might I suggest that we all - in the "early evening", should slip into our Armadillo-skin Gucci's and go to this establishment, bringing the below essential.

http://www.homebrewers.com/product/700551A

"The Buon Vino SuperJet has been designed with ease and quality in mind. Wine is drawn by means of a self-prime pump into the plastic filtering plates which house the filter pads. The specially designed grooves on the plastic filtering plates direct the wine through the filter pads, allowing the unit to achieve optimum filtering capability".

- Soda bread, the scoundrel, I would have had him flayed, chastised roundly and left in no doubt of his servile status. Its SO hard to get well bred waiting staff these days.

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote:
    Might I suggest that we all - in the "early evening", should slip into our Armadillo-skin Gucci's and go to this establishment, bringing the below essential.

http://www.homebrewers.com/product/700551A

"The Buon Vino SuperJet has been designed with ease and quality in mind. Wine is drawn by means of a self-prime pump into the plastic filtering plates which house the filter pads. The specially designed grooves on the plastic filtering plates direct the wine through the filter pads, allowing the unit to achieve optimum filtering capability".

- Soda bread, the scoundrel, I would have had him flayed, chastised roundly and left in no doubt of his servile status. Its SO hard to get well bred waiting staff these days.

hmm but would we wear smoking attire or evening attire, it is all so confusing.

Advertisement