Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website prob!!!

Options
  • 27-05-2005 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hey guys i'm creating a website for my local golf club and i have a form which people can fill out if they want to book a team time... was wondering if someone could help me wit the code that then sends this info to an email address upon the submit button bein hit???
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If you have CGI/PHP access on the web server then the form can invoke the CGI/PHP script which will send the email.

Without CGI/PHP access you could use a free web site service, like Bravenet.com, to provide this facility.
    This is a nice secure method in that the risk of hosting the service is elsewhere.

An ugly and unreliable alternative, on the client side, is something like at DTO Contact us page where it invokes a mailto-like setup. Doesn't work on my system (tries to launch hotmail.com) but probably would if I used Outlook Express, Thunderbird or some other integrated email app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

cddc3 wrote:
    was wondering if someone could help me wit the code that then sends this info to an email address upon the submit button bein hit???
    Would be a help if you told us what language you were using. Theres an endless amount of ASP/PHP/JSP etc. email scripts on the net. What type of server will it be running on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cddc3

javascript

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

cddc3 wrote:
    javascript
    That is client-side. You need server-side to send a mail properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

The problem with using the client side to send these requests is quite simply

A) They don't have there system set up so no mail server.... no mail, they get annoyed.

B) they may not want there mail client opened. It may hog there system resources and be a serious annoyance

C) It may be there kid's e-mail client set up or something thta is not there own. They don't get confirmation.

IF yoru host is anywhere what so ever reasonable thew ill have at least 1 server side language supported. Hundreds of scripts exist in all major languages to complete youre requeststed task.

Check out www.hotscripts.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

daymobrew wrote:
    Without CGI/PHP access you could use a free web site service, like Bravenet.com, to provide this facility.
    This is a nice secure method in that the risk of hosting the service is elsewhere.
    My suggestion of Bravenet.com is available even if you don't have server-side scripting access.

See Bravenet's Email Forms Service:
    Check out all of these great features!

* Full Site Integration
    Our Email Forms can be completely customized.
    * Create Any Form
    Create surveys, instant feedback forms, etc.
    * Easy Form Manager
    Set up Thank You pages and email addresses easily.
    * Auto-Responders
    Auto-send pre-written replies to form submitters.
    * Easy installation
    Just copy and paste our code onto your webpage.
    Did I mention that it is a free service?
    I have a Bravenet.com counter at the end of my page. Check it out and see that there is no advertising, only a small mention of Bravenet.com and a link to their site.

Advertisement