Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utd make sure step towards solving goalkeeping woes

• 27-05-2005 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

By letting go of Carroll.

I'd say that's the best news Utd fans will have heard for quite some time. Also, the fact that they are letting go of Ricardo means that they will have to make a move on a keeper in the summer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Woohoo, after such a ****e ****e month :)

That said, less money on a midfielder :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Ah well who are we going to get in, I hope maybe Seb Frey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Rumour in Madrid is that Man Utd are hoping to make Iker Casillas part of any transfer deal for RVN.

Bannor wrote:
    Rumour in Madrid is that Man Utd are hoping to make Iker Casillas part of any transfer deal for RVN.
    Hmmm interesting??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Bannor wrote:

Are Utd likely to sell RVN?

• Advertisement

uh I don't want that to happen, don't want that to happen at all :(
    Unless Fergies got the balls to let Rossi play up there with the top 3.
    Although, if that was true, I'm happy to see Fergie is makign tough choices to trying to fix the team rather than sticking with loyalties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Bannor wrote:
    that'd be good for them.
    I feel they dont need Ruud anymore now that they have the supreme Rooney... I'd actually like to see Smith more.
    He truely is a talent with much more to come.
    And isnt Ole Gunner going to be back soon? I still think he's a quality striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Thats the best News I've heard all week, hopefully Fergie can get it right on the what is it 12th or 13th attempt to replace Smeichal.
    Theres been so much speculation about who is going to replace him I really couldn't guess at this stage, Casillas would be nice.
    There's even a Special on it over on gamebookers, I think Given might cost too much so I might stick a tenner on any other

New Stars between the Bars

Tim Howard 3/2
    Roy Carroll 3/2
    Shay Given 13/2
    Carlo Cudicini 13/2
    Sebastian Frey 4/1
    Anti Niemi 13/2
    Edwin Van Der Saar 10/1
    Any other 5/2
    Who will start next Premiership season opener in goal for Man Utd?

I also read in that report that Daniel Nardielo has been released. He showed a huge amount of promise a few years ago but obviously hasn't cut it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Considering Roy Carroll is after getting the bullet "Other @ 5/2" is looking a very good bet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Anti Niemi 13/2

whiskeyman wrote:
    that'd be good for them.
    I feel they dont need Ruud anymore now that they have the supreme Rooney... I'd actually like to see Smith more.
    And isnt Ole Gunner going to be back soon? I still think he's a quality striker.
    I have been saying this for ages and everyone keeps slating me.

Well as said above I can see them moving for Anti Niemi, wasn't Ferguson trying to buy him a season or 2 ago but Strachen(then manager) wouldnt sell him and wanted 8mil or something so Howard was brought in instead of him......Southampton have already said they will lose 12mil from getting relagated and will need to find the money somewhere so a bid of around 3-4mil and they willl prob get him.....good goalkeeper with plenty of PL experience.....also Southampton where hardly playing him for the second part of the season with that new young fellow(cant remember his name) I know Niemi was injuryed some of that time but when he got back he couldnt get back into the team.......

I cant see Casillas moving from Madrid to Manchester......a Madrid player and who would Madrid get to replace him? sure who is there reserve keeper now? Cesar(sp) wasnt it but he is on the way out......

If Utd do sell RvN who will they buy to replace him? Crespo? would be better playing in front of Rooney than alot of strikers out there!

United have also released Ramon Calliste, Ben Collett, Daniel Nardiello, David Poole, Lee Lawrence and Paul Tierney.

Onnly names I know are Daniel Nardiello and Paul Tierney, I think Nardiello was on loan this season in League one and was useless???? maybe not right

Paul Tierney seemed to be coming good a few seasons ago when he was on the bench for a few european games but has faded since.....was on loan this season...not sure where but I read it in the paper one day.....will prob get a move to League one.....hopefully will get his career back on track.....good left back...http://www.manutd.com/bio/bio.sps?iBiographyID=1639

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Keano_sli wrote:
    There's even a Special on it over on gamebookers, I think Given might cost too much so I might stick a tenner on any other

New Stars between the Bars

Tim Howard 3/2
    Roy Carroll 3/2
    Shay Given 13/2
    Carlo Cudicini 13/2
    Sebastian Frey 4/1
    Anti Niemi 13/2
    Edwin Van Der Saar 10/1
    Any other 5/2
    Who will start next Premiership season opener in goal for Man Utd?
    I'd get the bets in before they update the odds now that Carroll has been released.

Thing is RVN does the business in Europe, the only United player that does, who would they replace him with?
    Rooney isn't that good yet, infact he is nowhere near that good yet!
    Smith doesn't have the quality to replace him, hes got the grit, just doesnt have the skill.
    Saha maybe, but playing the lone striker is incredibly difficult, yet Ruud still manages to do it well.
    It'd be a sad day if Ruud leaves united imo, unless Saha/Rossi steps up to the plate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I,m happy to se Roy go, he's a decents keeper most of teh time but is prone to errors in the high stake games, I wish him all the best. IT will be interesting to see who comes It needs to be proven top class keeper and not just potential.

I would be sad to see Ruud go but If thats what needs to happen so be it. He has had a poor season by his standards. I think he suffered most when Beckham left as his service dried up.

I can't see Casillas willingly leaving Madrid for Manchester. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I can't see Casillas willingly leaving Madrid for Manchester
    Casillas only gets 1/3 the salary of the other Galacticos which is outrageous.
    He has been their best player the last 2 seasons.
    If United put in a decent pay increase he could come.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well as said above I can see them moving for Anti Niemi, wasn't Ferguson trying to buy him a season or 2 ago but Strachen(then manager) wouldnt sell him and wanted 8mil or something so Howard was brought in instead of him......Southampton have already said they will lose 12mil from getting relagated and will need to find the money somewhere so a bid of around 3-4mil and they willl prob get him.....good goalkeeper with plenty of PL experience.....also Southampton where hardly playing him for the second part of the season with that new young fellow(cant remember his name) I know Niemi was injuryed some of that time but when he got back he couldnt get back into the team.......

Would it really be wise to buy an ageing keeper who couldn't get into a side on their way towards relegation? Might as well have a punt for the kid instead.

Would it really be wise to buy an ageing keeper who couldn't get into a side on their way towards relegation? Might as well have a punt for the kid instead.

Alot of people where saying he wasnt getting into the team because everyone knew he would be off in the summer and they wanted to get the kid experience....it the biggest game against Pompey and Utd they put Niemi back into the nets.....has been one of the best keepers in the PL for the past 4-5 seasons(or since he moved from Scotland).......and that was playing behind a useless defence.......but seemily Celtic want him to replace Douglas and he wants to work with Strachan again! but if Utd came a calling then I would say he will go there......>Arsenal also interested!!

Ageing???? he is 32.....that means another 4-5 season as a goalkeeper......also they ahve resigned Howard so he the one for the future so in 4-5 years he will have the experience to take over from Niemi......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ageing not aged :D You might be right about them blooding the youngster in the Premiership, as Niemi was always likely to leave, but at the same time, it's hardly the best way to shop-window a player.
    As for Howard, he was supposed to be the finished article and a starter when they bought him. I don't reckon 4-5 of bench-warming will do him much good.

I don't know, the whole business of goalkeepers and sub-goalkeepers is a bif of an enigma. You always want a good stopper and a good backup, but don't want a good keeper kicking his heels and wanting away. But then, rotating keepers never seems to be that successful...

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'd get the bets in before they update the odds now that Carroll has been released.

Your Right as Usual Eirebhoy, Carroll has now been removed and Howard is favorite, Any other is still 5/2 and I got my tenner on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Am I the only one who thinks United have yet again made a hash of the Transfer market.
    They now have only 1 goalkeeper so any club/player/agent approached will hold United to ransom as has been the case over the last few seasons.

Am I the only one who thinks United have yet again made a hash of the Transfer market.
    They now have only 1 goalkeeper so any club/player/agent approached will hold United to ransom as has been the case over the last few seasons.

My guess would be that in order to be so confident as to release 2 keepers, a deal has already probably been done with someone to come in.

I think one of two things has happened.
    United have ****ed up, in which case, ****!
    There is a deal done, or about to be done for a keeper.

I think its more likely the latter

PHB wrote:
    I think one of two things has happened.
    United have ****ed up, in which case, ****!
    There is a deal done, or about to be done for a keeper.

I think its more likely the latter

Frey appears to be the popular choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

I'd like Casillas or Given, but I'd settle for Frey. It'd be probably the best goalkeeper they had since 1999.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Who is Frey really? Or more or less, how good is he on a regular basis? Does he make Carroll-esque royal **** ups??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

This site is usually full of crap but anyway:
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/april/italnews270405.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

My guess would be that in order to be so confident as to release 2 keepers, a deal has already probably been done with someone to come in.

agreed. despite getting a few signings wrong in the past they are smart enough to understand the implications of releasing two goalkeepers. i remember they signed a young german gk this season so he will prob become a bit more visible this season i.e. playing back up to howard and whoever they bring in.

howard is good and may be given the chance next year. he is still very young at the moment lets not forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Its an old article but

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/sport/football/manchesterunited/s/152/152380_frey_eyes_parma_exit.html

Frey still has a lot to prove at the highest level, 25 is young for a keeper but he has been on the scene for a long time with not that many appearances. As far as I know too he only has a couple of international caps (despite Barthez being almost 34). I havnt seen much of him myself but he is highly rated from a lot of quarters, and has been for a while. Probably wouldnt cost too much which is a bonus.

Howard is decent enough for a second choice IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

We always hear alot about frey but dont really know what he is like. Ive heard good and also bad from him. Makes you wonder too that if he was that good why is he still playing second fiddle to barthez?

It will be interesting who utd will be after. Arsenal are after a keeper too....interesting times ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

whiskeyman wrote:
    that'd be good for them.
    Wat rubbish!! take a look at uniteds scoring this season, ruud had a bad year was missing for too long and couln't get his touch back and so did united when it came to scoring, if he gets his form next year it could be the perfect fix for uniteds problems, we needed a good poacher all last year to put away the seemingly easy ones, how many matches did united draw where they had 20+ shots to the other teams miserable efforts. that's where we lost the prem,getting poor results against poor sides cause we couldn't score, the arsenal match typified uniteds season! ruud adds that to united, goals when no one else is gettin em, rooney didn't do that, fair enough he wasn't being played as an out and out striker but rooney will never notch up the kind of goals ruud can and that's what we need.rooney and ruud to stay, smith on the bench even though i love watchin him play, gutsy and gives 110% all the way through, anytime he loses a ball he busts himself trying to get it back. ole gunnar was a quality striker but at his age and with the serious injury he's not gonna solve uniteds scoring problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I keep saying this but what about Cudicini.

Hes good, cheap and is already used to the lifestyle of the Premiership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

andyman wrote:

he plays for chelsea, and there is no way in hell chelsea would sell him to us.

andyman wrote:

He's not available is he? The last I heard he said he was staying with Chelsea.

The Muppet wrote:
    He's not available is he? The last I heard he said he was staying with Chelsea.
    i think if we put a bid in and it was accepted he would come to united - but i just don't see any bid we would make for him being accepted.

He said a while ago that he wanted to stay at Chelsea.
    That stunned me totally, but I guess he figures he's done playing football, gona take the huge money and get the league cup game, and hes happy with it.

hmmmm - if that were true not exactly the type of player i would like to see at United.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:
    hmmmm - if that were true not exactly the type of player i would like to see at United.

Why not hes a decent keeper.

andyman wrote:
    Why not hes a decent keeper.

i think he is a class keeper, just saying if it is true that he is happy to pick up his pay cheque and play a few legue cup games he doesn't seem to be the type of player we need at united. Hunger and desire are needed at OT.

Hes only paid about 25k isn't he?

andyman wrote:
    Hes only paid about 25k isn't he?

no idea at all.

Why would he want to get paid 1/4 of what everyone else is paid?

What if Cech was ruled out for the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

id say given is no.1 target and id be surprised if utd havnt already made an offer.

we know what he can do. he wont let you down and he continues to save newcastle time and time again behind a rubbish defence.

language barrier won't be a problem and apart from the holland clanger against ireland in '01 that went narrowly wide & dion dublin's cheeky goal poached from under shay's nose, i havnt seen him make many mistakes. he's old enough to have the experience yet young enough to be part of utd's future and not just a quick fix for a season or 2.

frey we dont see week in week out, he's not as safe a bet. buying given for even 10m would be money well spent and you can guarantee that. you can bank on him as your no.1. if i had a choice at present id pick given over anyone including casillas and cech. he's been consistent in the premiership behind a dodgy defence and unpredictable side. cech just needs to turn up for most games and casillas comes with a superstar image which means he can only go backwards.

smemon, you are nuts.
    Given over Casillas or Cech?
    Given has shown great skill behind a ****e defense, thats not the type of keeper we are looking for.

Casillas does the same thing at Real Madrid, plays behind a ****e defense, and is way way better at it. He has been Real Madrid's best player for the last two years.
    --
    Cech has beaten Schmiecals record, shush. He has been behind a similar defense to United, a little bit better, but hasn't made a mistake, and has been there when he needs to be.

Frey we don't see week in week out. Duh, we watch English football. You think United's scouts havn't been watching him week in week out? Duh. He is a safe bet. By your logic, nobody outside the premiership is

PHB wrote:
    smemon, you are nuts.
    Given over Casillas or Cech?
    Given has shown great skill behind a ****e defense, thats not the type of keeper we are looking for.

Casillas does the same thing at Real Madrid, plays behind a ****e defense, and is way way better at it. He has been Real Madrid's best player for the last two years.
    --
    Cech has beaten Schmiecals record, shush. He has been behind a similar defense to United, a little bit better, but hasn't made a mistake, and has been there when he needs to be.

Frey we don't see week in week out. Duh, we watch English football. You think United's scouts havn't been watching him week in week out? Duh. He is a safe bet. By your logic, nobody outside the premiership is

There is no chance of signing Cech, he is the best keeper in the World at the moment adn with Chelsea's resources there is not a chance of him leaving especially to one of their rivals.
    Given remains the favorite IMO as Fergie will want someone proven in the Premiership this time, nearly all of his attempts at signing keepers have failed due to lack of premiership experience and lack of familiarity with whats required at Manu, Given will not have this problem as he will know Roy Keane well enough to know whats expected, and I read today that he has put his house in Newcastle up for sale so chances are he is on the more somewhere.
    Lets hope its to OT!

Obviously theres no chance of signing Cech, but I'm saying he would be preferred to Given.
    Given has never, ever had to play 90 mins and had to make one save in the game, ever! Thats what Man Utd need, and Given, while he might be able to, hasn't shown he can do that.
    That said, I'd be happy with Given.

I agree - i think given has been one of the worlds best keepers over the last 5 years. His performances for Ireland have been great without exception (well, one i can think of) If he was English, or had been playing for a succesful side i'm sure other people would be saying the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement