Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utd make sure step towards solving goalkeeping woes

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    Given has never, ever had to play 90 mins and had to make one save in the game, ever! Thats what Man Utd need, and Given, while he might be able to, hasn't shown he can do that.
    What the hell are you talking about? I dont understand what you are trying to say here one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

What the hell are you talking about? I dont understand what you are trying to say here one bit.
    Concentration is a big issue - at chelsea Cech may have nothing to do for 91 minutes of a game but then produce a blindly save in injury time - that can be a downfall of many a keeper, they don't have the concentration to keep on their game in such situations. Its was carrolls biggest weakness imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

It's been a while since United have gone 91 minutes without having the keeper make a few saves. That's coming from a united fan. Don't think concentration will be an issue for Given, he always seems to be pretty alert.

anthonymcg wrote:
    It's been a while since United have gone 91 minutes without having the keeper make a few saves. That's coming from a united fan. Don't think concentration will be an issue for Given, he always seems to be pretty alert.
    I agree - i think given would be perfect and i really hope he signs.

I blame carrolls lack of concentration for his 'save' against spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    Frey we don't see week in week out. Duh, we watch English football. You think United's scouts havn't been watching him week in week out? Duh. He is a safe bet. By your logic, nobody outside the premiership is

like massimo taibis was a safe bet? or howard? or barthez? or the various other lemons the scouts watched week in, week out and concluded they were "safe bets".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Tauren wrote:
    Concentration is a big issue - at chelsea Cech may have nothing to do for 91 minutes of a game but then produce a blindly save in injury time - that can be a downfall of many a keeper, they don't have the concentration to keep on their game in such situations. Its was carrolls biggest weakness imo.
    But he wasnt talking about Carroll he was talking about Given, and if he hasnt seen Shay Given do that (only have to make one save in 90 minutes) he should get out and watch some more Ireland games.

I know he wasn't talking bout Given, i was just using Carroll as an example of a keeper with poor concentration (IMO) and yes, i think Given has proven he can do it for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

He should get out and watch some more Ireland games.

Good point about his experiences with Ireland. He's made a number of crucial saves when a game suddenly swung against us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Given is Ireland's most consistant player without a shadow of a doubt. Never mind having a bad game, I can hardly remember him making a costly mistake in his 70 or so caps. Suprisingly, Given would probably have less work to do for Ireland than he would for United these days. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

PHB wrote:
    Given over Casillas or Cech?
    Given has shown great skill behind a ****e defense, thats not the type of keeper we are looking for.

Casillas does the same thing at Real Madrid, plays behind a ****e defense, and is way way better at it. He has been Real Madrid's best player for the last two years.
    --
    Cech has beaten Schmiecals record, shush. He has been behind a similar defense to United, a little bit better, but hasn't made a mistake, and has been there when he needs to be.

Frey we don't see week in week out. Duh, we watch English football. You think United's scouts havn't been watching him week in week out? Duh. He is a safe bet. By your logic, nobody outside the premiership is

look at forlan, djemba etc all bought on scouts alone. you nor i hadnt much knowledge of them and they certainly never caught our eye. they are both decent players but couldnt hack it at utd and pin down a 1st team place. heinze was one of the few in recent times that paid off.

with a keeper utd cant afford to be experimenting with foreign imports with no experience of the english game and lack of communication in terms of the language barrier. ive no doubt frey is a good keeper as he's highly regarded by alot of big european clubs but for the same money you could have given.

given won't let you down, knows the players & knows the english game. this season, utd cant afford to mess up with a keeper and gamble on potential. carrol was the regular no.1 up until he left which suggests howard is seen as weaker than him so fergie will be looking for a solid no.1.

given is a class act, in a weak side. it'd be stupid not to look at him as he could be got for >£10. you get given and you dont have to worry about keepers for 5/6 years. i cant understand the logic in buying say cech's understudy in the czech side for a few million when you could have given for not much more. (provided he's available of course, but it doesnt seem n'castle view him as indispensable)

well talk is given has sold his house in newcastle and bought one near manchester.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Given is Ireland's most consistant player without a shadow of a doubt. Never mind having a bad game, I can hardly remember him making a costly mistake in his 70 or so caps. Suprisingly, Given would probably have less work to do for Ireland than he would for United these days. :)
    Belgium play off game - came out when there was no need to and cost us a goal...... just saying ;)

Advertisement