Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lusk Raid

• 27-05-2005 12:31pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody has any comment to make about the gardai at the raid on a post office in Lusk yesterdsay...

According to news reports only one of the men were armed and both were shot dead :confused: Also the Gardai knew well in advance about the planned raid and they knew they would be coming through the back door so why did they allow the staff to remain sitting at their desks?? Maybe I'm wrong to assume this but should they not have evacuated the staff before the attack and perhaps had undercover Gardai in their place?? Apparently the gunman put a gun to the managers head on entering the shop... what if the gun had gone off accidentally (wouldnt be the first time).. In my humble opinion they endangered the lives of those people... I just feel a bit disheartened at the whole thing... :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Luckily, there were robbers inside, otherwise ARU would probably have shot each other (2 members killed by their own men in two seperate occasions). It's not being run properly IMO, and is nowhere near as professional as, say, a US SWAT team.

You should have put this into After Hours for more opinions, and it's not completely specific to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Being discussed in the politics forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=260570

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'm backing the gardaí on this one - this sort of action will make future potential criminals think twice. If any of the group was armed, they were all liable to be shot at, and the gardaí are in the right for shooting at them.

The gards get lambasted for not doing enough, now there's outcry when they actually stop a raid with force. What the hell are they supposed to do? Foresee the crimes aka. Minority Report?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Kernel wrote:
    It's not being run properly IMO, and is nowhere near as professional as, say, a US SWAT team.

They fired 2 shots, 2 dead pretty damn good imo. SWAT teams on average kill 30 of their own men a YEAR.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 leesong

Gardi get my vote. 2 less "professional" criminals on the street the better.

Why not replace the employees with undercover gardi - simple really any criminal with a brain cell would have sent in a scout before the raid (and a number of times before); if the people behind the counter are not the "regular" counter staff then just walk away from the raid.

Why not get them before entering the post-office - simple you are not actually commiting a major crime walking around on the street. Carrying a gun is a minor offence in comparison to to carrying out a raid - "Honest officer, I wuz just brining the gun to the cop station when I wuz stopped by the guards".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They fired 2 shots, 2 dead pretty damn good imo. SWAT teams on average kill 30 of their own men a YEAR.

Not a fair comparison, given the sheer size of the US as well as the drastically larger requirement for such a unit

Advertisement