Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European GP

• 27-05-2005 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

I know why we have a EuroGP (to give Germany a second GP) but I still hink it's fairly random.

Practice just started on Setanta!

Should be good:

-with Button gagging to do well - expect some serious over-driving from himself and Taku I'd say!

- Renault will be gagging to win another race and get back on track - the tyres should be ok here right?

- and McLaren will be gagging for their third straight win - probably their first treble since Mika?

- and of course Jordan/Midland will be gagging to beat Minardi into their rightful last place:D

That's not too mention a certain Italian team who'll be gagging to grab a win before they go to America!!

Also new qualifying rules - just one lap on Saturday.

:)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

That's a lot of gagging...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

dearg_doom wrote:
    I know why we have a EuroGP (to give Germany a second GP) but I still hink it's fairly random.

The whole thing of the "European" Grand Prix kind of pisses me off, to be honest. I mean, look at the name, "European". But it's usually held at the Nurburgring in Germany. In the past it's been held at Brands Hatch, Donington Park and Jerez in Spain but most of the time it's been held at the Nurburgring. And the only real reason for that is because of Michael Schumacher and his popularity over the past 10 years or so, especially in Germany. Same reason why Italy has two Grand Prix, the Italian at Monza and the San Marino at Imola, because of Ferrari and it's popularity. Personally, I'd prefer to see the "European" Grand Prix become just that, a race that is alternated around various other circuits around Europe annually or bi-annually, say, at circuits which are suitable for hosting Grand Prix. For example, have it one year at Jerez, the next at Donington (once they upgrade the facilities, as they are planning on doing), the next at Estoril in Portugal, etc. Or have it at a particular circuit for maybe two years and then move onto a different one then for the next two years, that kind of thing. Would be much fairer, in my opinion, and also give countries which would like to have a Grand Prix but which can't fit into the regular calendar a chance, even if it is only a one-off. And with so many new countries now looking to host races and the calendar becoming even more crowded, it might mean these countries could actually get the chance to host races whereas they might not have had a chance beforehand.

Though, I can't ever see something like that happening. Too much money involved with multi-year deals with circuits and all that kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Well it should be an interesting GP with the different fuel strategies teams are using. It very obvious the Heidfeld and Webber have been low fueled but it they get their tactics spot on they could be in with a chance.

I'll go with Raikonnen again. The guy is on fire at the moment and the McLarens have been the fastest cars all weekend.

Fingers crossed for a good race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Feenikusu

Nürburgring is my 2nd favourite GP after Monaco, because it's not far from here and we live between Nürburgring and their hotels in Bonn, so we get to see all the helicopters from our house. I love that! But I think it would be fairer to call it Luxembourg GP again, otherwise some people might think that the Germans think that they are the center of Europe.
    Well, I hope Quick Nick will win, and I think he can do it. And Takuma Sato has to get some points today, he has to become world champion!
    And I like the new Qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

LOL @ Kimi
    He's got to be gutted :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Great ending... probably not so good for the championship though. If only Alonso was closer and Raikkonen collected him as he went off!

Glad to see Williams seem to have decent pace, Webber could have been up there too if it wasn't for what happened on the first lap. Same goes for Ferrari, Schumacher was pushed down to 17th because of the first turn. He actually leaped montoya in a McLaren over the course of the race so there's clearly pace there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Great ending to the race.

Kimi almost collected Button as he went off. Maybe he should have been conservatative and gone into the pits for a tire change when they released the black spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

have to agree. that was a fantastic race, good laps, good fun, lots of crashes. and a fantastic finish

What more do you want on a sunday

• Site Banned Posts: 313 ✭✭revo

nice one Alonso i knew you could do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

Didn't see the race -- in work...!! :( Will have to watch it later.

However in light of the changing results in the last two races due to tyre wear... do you think the tyre rule should remain or should it go back to the way it was and allow tyre changes in the pit stops..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

No way he should have come in. If he thought like that in life, he wouldn be driving a mclaren in f1. Drive it til it breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

Dammit! Hard luck on the Kimster. Alonso patting his tyres afterwards was mildly amusing.

Have to agree the idea of a European Grand Prix is ridiculous, why not bring in a new country, Estoril for Portugal or maybe even Brno for Czech Rep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

A GP at a new country would just be called the Portugese or Czech GP or whatever... it's just called the Euro GP cos the German Grand Prix is already taken. I don't have a problem with it, Nurburgring and Hockenheim are both great tracks and there's enough demand for it. Donnington was called the euro GP cos Silverstone already took the British slot, Jerez was also the euro GP when Catalunya had the Spanish slot taken. There's nothing wrong with a country hosting two Grands Prix as long as they're decent tracks and in this case they are.

It's not like some country is losing a GP specifically cos Germany has two, they can call Nurburgring the Luxembourg GP and give the Euro name to somewhere else if they want, it's all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I nearly cried when I saw Kimi in the wall, what a disaster for him. Still, he will be back with a vengeance and I think he will catch up on Alonso. If only JPM would show some of the fabulous form that Kimi has been displaying over the last 4 races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Did you see Flav barging into Herbie Blash?

That was fukein' hilarious :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

"Practice just started on Setanta!

Should be good:"

Could there be a more Boring Sport??? let's see...........

Nobody's forcing you to watch it, walshb. So why come into the forum of a sport you think is boring just so you can say "Could there be a more Boring Sport"? You don't like it, fair enough, don't watch it but don't come in here posting comments like that. I don't like Big Brother either but I don't go into the Big Brother forum just so I can say "Big Brother's sh!te!" just because I don't like it. If other's do, fair enough, that's their business, I'll just choose not to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

great race

one thing though, I will put a contract out on that fcukwit James Allen.

I dunno if its just me but that lad gets on my tits.

He just dominates the commentry with this waffle and Brundle barely gets a word in. I really like Brundle, he actually gives me a real insight into whats happening.
    He should give Allen a good bitchslap during the breaks.

Allen constantly contradicts/intrrupts Brundle to the point where I thought they were going to have a row when Kimis tyre came off.

I would not mind if he had something sensible to say but the guy just comes up with crap statements and stoopid sayings that make no sense at all, and not in a good Murry Walker way.
    This guy just spouts sh!t

Who gave him this job?? Cant they see he is a plonker? Or is it just me?

Death to the Allen (OK, not death but a protracted period of unemployment)

I reckon Brundle hates the fukker :p

I agree, juno75, I can't stand him either. As I've been saying for years, even before Murray retired, the only person who should have been considered for the F1 commentator's job when Murray hung up the mike was Ben Edwards. He used to be great back in the day when Eurosport showed Formula 1 and he's currently doing a great job commentating on the British Touring Car Championship. Anyone who's ever heard him commentating is bound to agree with me. He's exciting to listen to, manages to keep things going even if it's a dull race and he also knows his stuff, having been a former racer himself years ago. Ben Edwards should have been Murray's replacement, full stop, and they should have left James Allen down in the pits where he belongs where he could continue to get all aroused at the thought of tyres and "exciting" fuel strategies! :rolleyes:

And it's always the same stuff at the start of a race with James Allen. It always seems to be either "Turn up the sound and enjoy as we....... go....... RACCCCCIIIINNNNNGGGGGGG!" or "You know the procedure, folks. The <insert country here> Grand Prix....... is..... GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" With "RACING!" and "GO!" seeming to last for half a bloody lap at least. For God's sake, man, come up with something different to say at the start of a race for once, will you? I bet Martin feels like punching the twat sometimes....... and I wish he would! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Here here on Ben Edwards.

Everything James Allen does sounds contrived. Like all his excitement is scripted or something. I wouldn't say I hate him or anything but I would prefer to hear Ben Edwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

Nice one chaps, glad to hear Im not alone!

Every thing you've siad I completly agree with. I just wonder - dont the program directors review the performance of the presenters at all?
    Cant they hear with thier own ears what a plonk this guy is?

Surly we are not in the minority? Or is he well liked in England or something?

I just cant understand how anyone can consider him a good commentator, I cant think of one good thing to say about him....

Maybe we can get a petition going?

Oh well, at least its shaping up to be a great F1 year :)

Advertisement