Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3 or Mini-Disc?

Options
  • 27-05-2005 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

I would like an opinion, I was thinking about getting a new Mini-disc, one of the 1GB ones, I went into Sony Center today and I was advised to not get one, but to get an MP3 player instead, I have an older Mini-Disc atm and I think its brilliant, not that much storage on the discs but still pretty good.

what would you advise I get, the Mp3 or the Mini-Disc?

which one 32 votes

MP3
    0% 0 votes
    Mini-Disc
    81% 26 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    18% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I'm a long time mini-disc user who sees the jump to hard-disk based mobile tunes as inevitable. I love mini-discs, but ipods and irivers and iwhatever-elses are the way forward now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

I have a three year old mini-disc. Happy as a pig in muck with it. Why should I change?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

ah I have a mini-disc but its just so awkward to use. I have to plug it into my playstation and all that crap. And If i want to get a song off my computer that I don't have on cd I have to copy it onto a cd and then put it on mini disc. I couldn't be bothered with all that, just take the brothers ipod!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Mp3 all the way!!
    Too much hasstle recording onto mini disc and aswell as that you would have too carry a lot of them around compared to having your collection on an mp3 player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

with MP3 players can you set up playlists? or play according to album/artist or ther catagories? because I have different tastes at different times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Ps. Don't buy or accept any advice from the Sony Centre.

But yes, MP3 over MiniDisc imo. Whatever suits you though.
    I've never come across an MP3 player that wont let you organise your music into some sort of playlist/folder format (except the mind boggling iPod Shuffle).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭JimboPope

Any new mp3 player will let you browse by artist/album/genre/composer...etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I wouldn't get one of the 1GB minidiscs. The feckers at the sony centre lied through their teeth to me about it. They repeatedly insisted that it can play MP3s but it turns out they can only play crappy proprietary AC3 files. No way I would convert my collection of perfect quality mp3s into sony's crap format.

Never ever ever listen to what somebody in a Sony centre tells you. Without exception, every single one of them i've spoken to have been morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Plus they're ridiculously overpriced. Go there to test out the products and buy them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Mini-disks were a great stop-gap solution between CD players and the introduction of affordable Mp3 players. But there's no reason to keep using them now, pretty much obsolete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

I wouldn't say they are obsolete, they have uses that Mp3 players don't, at least until recordable mp3 players come down in price/become the norm. From a mere playing music viewpoint Mp3 players are prob a better option but do Mp3 players have all the editing functions that minidiscs have?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The iriver H320 is down to €299.

For a 20GB MP3/WMA/OGG player with a recordable radio, Line-In/Line-Out, Microphone, Voice Recorder, Full colour screen, USB Device (e.g.: digital camera) dock capability, ability to display photos and text files, etc. etc. etc., that's a bloody good choice - and one that I'd make over choosing a Minidisc any day. ... And I'd be using it for interviews for the radio as well as storage of music and photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

Bard wrote:
    The iriver H320 is down to €299.

For a 20GB MP3/WMA/OGG player with a recordable radio, Line-In/Line-Out, Microphone, Voice Recorder, Full colour screen, USB Device (e.g.: digital camera) dock capability, ability to display photos and text files, etc. etc. etc., that's a bloody good choice - and one that I'd make over choosing a Minidisc any day. ... And I'd be using it for interviews for the radio as well as storage of music and photos.

that's me told so :)

Advertisement