Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Rafa Benitez the Special One (tm)?

• 27-05-2005 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭

"As a manager you are important sometimes and you make mistakes, but the most important people are your staff and your players. Never call me the special one!" said Benitez.

"I am one step closer to what the other managers achieved, that's all. I have to do a lot more before I am considered on the same level.

What a humble guy, you have to admire him.

And what an achievement - to win the Champions League with, you have to admit, a pretty average Liverpool team against arguably the best club side in the world, AC Milan. After being 3 goals down at half time. And exactly one year after winning the Spanish league - a feat in itself - and UEFA Cup with Valencia.

Possibly the best football manager at this moment in time in Europe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Ardent wrote:

and a nice guy to round it all off .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be fair, he's an amazing manager in European football, just cant wait for him to get the hang of the prremiership and mould the team to what he wants a bit more. Give him another full season then expect some greatness i think..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

Have You heard what he did in germany when he wanted to look at the chelsea game and couldn't? he went into a pub full over liverpool fans and sat with them and looked at the game and stayed for fotos and the fans said he is just a normal guy , you have to respect him for what he has done and the only thing on his mind is winning cups for the club and fans not money like most others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

He's played a big part in making a lot of people happy,, :) me being one of them. He is special in my Book

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

He is a top bloke....just think what he could achieve when he gets good players in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ardent wrote:

A certain manager of Chelsea will disagree there....also you forget what Fergie has won in his time......Wenger is another one but hasn't done it on the European stage yet

There is no denying he is a good manager but you have to remember where they came in PL.....losing to Burnley......thats not the sign of the best manager in Europe is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

he's definitely a special one. but you wont hear him saying it ever. unlike someone else :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Another good thing about Rafa is You will not hear another mention of this trophy once next season starts, guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There is no doubting his talent but lads, I am gonna puke already..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Possibily the smartest signing Liverpool have made in 20 years and a Likeable guy, has given me no reason to dislike him apart from the small matter of winning a European cup with Liverpool :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Dub13 wrote:
    Another good thing about Rafa is You will not hear another mention of this trophy once next season starts, guaranteed.

Pool fans take note. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Pass it on to Clive Tidsley or however you spell his name ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

The Muppet wrote:
    Pool fans take note. ;)
    No we've been on the receiving end for too long. :)
    The Muppet wrote:
    Have You heard what he did in germany when he wanted to look at the chelsea game and couldn't? he went into a pub full over liverpool fans and sat with them and looked at the game and stayed for fotos and the fans said he is just a normal guy , you have to respect him for what he has done and the only thing on his mind is winning cups for the club and fans not money like most others
    I thought it was United, not Chelsea. Doesn't matter:
    http://server3.uploadit.org/files/cregser-rafa_pub_lev_250.jpg
    http://server3.uploadit.org/files/cregser-rafa_pub_lev2_250.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Well I think what Benitez said is dead right.

He seems to be a very good manager and a very nice man. But he's plenty to learn still about English football and he's made plenty of mistakes, including the awful decision not to start Didi Hamann in the European Cup Final. And I know the injury situation was terrible, but after Easter that excuse didnt really hold-up (not that he ever used it as an excuse), so he has to take some of the blame for Liverpool coming a lowly fifth, behind a mediocre but efficient Everton.

....there has been the odd sign though that he could well prove to be special... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Big Nelly wrote:
    There is no denying he is a good manager but you have to remember where they came in PL.....losing to Burnley......thats not the sign of the best manager in Europe is it?

You have a point but you also have to take into consideration the players he has at his disposal - some of them are patently average or below average players - not to mention the crazy number of long term injuries to most of his better squad members this season. I think the European Cup win is all the more remarkable when you think of some of the players he won it with - Traore, Smicer, Baros, Dudek, Nunez, Biscan, Mellor.

I think this European Cup winning team will one of the first ones to be immediately dismantled and re-assembled by choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think he is top quality, have been saying so all season, but we won't see his true brilliance till about two seasons time, when hes had a chance to make it his squad.
    I think the real test is can he challenge for the PL

Advertisement