Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox live over wireless

Options
  • 27-05-2005 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭

I'm getting broadband soon and will have a wireless setup at home.

My xbox will be in a different room than my router so I'll need to set it up wirelessly to play over live.

I know you can get ethernet bridges to connect but I'm just wondering what ones do people recommend and a cheap place to buy them

link

Some of the one's I've found are above. It will need to connect using 802.11g as that is what my network will be

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Boco

The ethernet port on the xbox is only 10mbps and your brodband isnt going to be anywhere near 54mbps during the remaining lifetime of your xbox, so I dont see why you should be spending more for a 802.11g adapter when a cheaper 802.11b adapter will work just as well (unless of course your router isnt compatible with 802.11b).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I use this for connecting my Tivo in a similiar setup:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=300828&cks=PRL

It is an excellent piece of equipment, it is very small and portable and ideal for a laptop etc. It also supports WPA security, it is the only wireless bridge that supports WPA well.

BTW you will never get 54mbps out of g or 11mbps out of b, typically you will get 22mbps out og g and about 2 - 3mbps out of b.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

I use the Belkin Wireless Ethernet Bridge. This has 802.11g, but I don't use it as my base station is 802.11b, and the XBox wouldn't take advantage of that anyway as pointed out already. I picked it up in PCWorld because I couldn't wait to order it online :)

Ciarán.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

hey, I know im not talking about xbox LIVE but I'm wondering has anyone played any lan games with people in a different house over wireless? I wanna play against people next door, houses are attached, only one wall between us. I'm wondering, has any1 done this before? Does it work well ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

I have the Linksys wireless game adapter and it worked perfectly, straight out of the box, no setup required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Mines a DWL 810g wireless bridge. Try ebay, they are fairly cheap on there.

Advertisement