Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunter Melee options

• 27-05-2005 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭

Before I go and spend my hard earned cash on changing my weapons I would like some opinions from more experienced players as this is my first rpg let alone MMorpg.

My character is Gutshot (Bored of ie) a lvl 33 Orc Hunter. Currently I have a big two handed axe called The Corpsemaker, It creates big damage but is very slow. Would I be better with a 1 handed axe and a fist weapon?

BTW thanks to all the Bored members who have been helpful so far ! My group activities are getting better but I am still liable to fall of cliffs too often in combat!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

it doesn't really matter what damage your melee does as most of the time you shouldn't have to use it. More important is the stats the weapon has. Agility stats are king for a hunter as these increase the hunters ability to get a critical hit with a ranged attack. So even though your not using your melee weapon in a fight it's stats add up to help you anyway with your ranged attack. I use dual wield and I've agility stats of 7 on both swords.

In the occasions you do need to melee you're weapon will need some sort of decent damage but thats not your main concern. Try to find a weapon(s) that has a balance of Damage and agility stats. Actually if you're online I've a polearm weapon thats bind on equipe that would be useful to you. It's not bound to me at the moment as if you want it let me know. My hunter is Muineachain in Bored of IE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Try firing your bow and taking a few steps back, in time with your reloading. If you move back (maybe 3 steps) and stop, just as you're firing, you'll continue firing while still maintaining some distance to your prey. If you do it right, it should only take 1 or 2 hits with your axe to finish stuff off.

This pretty much all becomes redundant, once you get a pet though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

You're probably looking at getting quite a fast weapon but always focusing on getting a +agi weapon or perhaps even a +critical hit weapon if you can find it. Your damage is mostly immaterial as as a hunter your focus while you're in melee is trying to get the hell out of it and to range again where you can do your damage.

I'd personally focus on dual wield with fast weapons as you'll be getting more hits in with wingclip to slow people down or root them if you have it improved and get to range again. Even more so if you've specced to the countsrike talent. Try and get scattershot as soon as possible and just ping it as soon as someone comes close enough, get to range again and concussion shot to slow or root again and more damage.

Thats all for PvP for PvE you'll mostly just be using disengage to put the aggro on your pet and getting far enough away to fill them full of lead again.

If you haven't picked your professions yet try going engineering. The net-o-matic is pure gold for hunters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Don't duel wield, it sucks. The whole point of Hunter melee is to land an instant ability or two and then start running. Duel wield has a much higher miss rate than 2h to compensate for the extra damage from the second weapon, but as a Hunter the extra damage is immaterial - you need Wingclip to land *now*.

Also, since Wingclip and Counterattack are instant it doesn't matter what speed of weapon you use. I'd recommend as slow as possible so you can queue up a big Raptor Strike as the target enters your deadzone, then go for an instant Wingclip and leg it.

So, get a 2h Weapon with the best stats you can find (Agility, Stamina, Attack Power or +Crit%). A random green "of the Monkey" or "of Agility" weapon should suffice if there isn't a nice blue/quest weapon available.

In the end-game weapons like these are the way to go:

http://www.thottbot.com/?i=35869
    http://www.thottbot.com/?i=37194

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

once you hit level 50 - duel wield dawn's edges - since for hunters 52 agi = 1% crit chance, its a losing battle trying to spec yourself with agility gear to the max. at one point i had 360 without buffs and potions, giving me, 6 point something crit chance with melee and + 5% with ranged. once the buffs and potions hit me (mongoose) i was happy with the crit chance and was dealing the most damage in groups. keep the stam gear too since you need your health for those long fights :)

-adnans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

DM crit gear ftw

Advertisement