Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Shepherd Terrors

Options
  • 27-05-2005 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got an 11-month-old German Shepherd last sunday from an ISPCA centre. She's been a wee bit nervous since arrival, but I put that down to her being unsure of her new surroundings. However, she has exhibited some behaviour that seemed a bit beyond this, i.e. whenever my girlfriend calls her, she's happy to go bounding over and seems as happy as the proverbial pig. However, if I'm even within 4 metres of her, she gets down on her belly and, while she will eventually come over with a lot of coaxing, she really seems terribly nervous, on some occassions even shaking, despite much tail-wagging. This thread was prompted by events yesterday evening where she was sitting in a corner of the kitchen and I went over to give her a rub and a chewy. She literally couldn't have pressed herself any further into the floor, and she cowered there pissing herself. I backed off, but she remained sitting in her self-made puddle in obvious distress, only moving when my girlfriend coaxed her out of the corner and back into the garden. My guess is that she was severely abused as a young pup (no physical signs of it, though, beyond being still a little underweight, but recovering), and she, for some reason, associates me with whoever did it to her. There's also been some speculation that it's because I'm so tall (6'7"). :confused: Anyone got any experience with this kind of issue? Any advice you could offer would be very much appreciated as she's a lovely dog and it's awful to see her get into such a state. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Give her time. Lots of it.
    Don't force yourself on her, let her come to you.
    If your girlfriend is around all the time (and not just visiting), let her take over the calling and close up things like feeding and brushing etc. Be present while she does this, but at a safe distance. Let the dog become used to thefact, that you are part of the picture now and that there is no harm emanting from you. (make sure there isn't ...even verbally)

Get down on her level (i.e. sit on the floor), don't look at her, don't show her your front but your side and place something nice and tasty near you. First far away, so that she can safely get at it and praise her, when she does. Repeat and bring the treat ever closer to you (over days, not hours).
    Hopefully she will soon overcome her fear and eat out of your hand ??

When addressing her, don't stare at her, look past her. Have an open, non threating stance. When you have to stand, don't lean over her, keep your hands loosely by your side or behind your back ...don't wave them about or have them in front of you. As much as possible, make yourself small, honker down, sit on the floor.

But most and foremost, don't force anything, let her come to you.

Good luck !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Now, there's the unusual thing. I've been bringing her for walks for about an hour a day. She has no problem with these, and has even been known to eat little treats out of my hand. That's what makes these episodes of the terrors that bit more unusual. She can go from being perfectly happy (apparently) to abject terror, for no apparent reason, in the blink of an eye. Always just with me, though, and yes, for my sins, the girlfriend is always around. ;) I guess I'll wait and see what another week does for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yeah, that is a bit strange.

I guess, while you're out walking, you're a means to an end ...she "needs to put with you" to get outside ...and while there, things are exciting and you being a threat is more or less forgotten.

Indoors is probably where she had her previous bad experiences (was she allowed indoors before / also by the "husband" ??) and some sort of movement, stance or tone of voice is what triggers the fear.

But it's great that things seem to work outside ...you can really work with her there. Let her get to know you and bond with you. The better friends you become outside, the less afraid she should be inside. Leave her alone as much as possible inside for the moment ..I'm pretty sure she'll overcome her fear over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sounds like who ever had her before beat her! My recue rottie was like that :( In time she will realise you are not going to hit her - When you approach her do not stare & keep hands down talk quietly to her & with time she will understand you are not going to punish her.

Peasant has given you some good advice. All it takes is time & a lot of patience!

Advertisement