Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV talk- has anyone cancelled this?

• 27-05-2005 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭

I've had UTV talk since Nov 04 and Clicksilver since Mar 05 (3 month trial)

I'm thinking of moving to BT or Smart, which is fine as far as Clicksilver is concerned since I'm still in the first 3 months. Not sure about whether I can cancel UTV Talk though. It was a 12-month contract AFAIK, but 7 months later, they still haven't transferred my line (i.e. I'm still paying line rental to eircom) so in my opinion they're in breach of contract and I can walk away from them with no penalty...

Is my thinking correct, or am I missing something? Has anyone else managed to cancel UTV talk inside 12months?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Havent even been able to get through to them on their number, spent 45 mins on hold once, so, i cancalled the DD and figure let them contact me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

From what I've read about it, UTV Talk and line rental transfer are two separate things and therefore have separate contracts. UTV Talk has it's own 12 month contract and the line rental contract only kicks in when the line is actually transferred and you start paying UTV your line rental.
    As for cancelling UTV Talk, it's hard to see what the penalty would be as there is no monthly subscription.
    I'd say ring them up and tell them you are moving house or going abroad of something similiar ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

the utv talk terms and conditions on their site lists the cancellation period - AFAIR it is two weeks notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

the utv talk terms and conditions on their site lists the cancellation period - AFAIR it is two weeks notice.

Has anyone got a link to the terms and conditions for the line rental? I've been with UTV talk and clicksilver plus for 10 months but only just got the letter from Eircom to say UTV are taking over my line rental on friday. I plan on cancelling the b*stards as soon as i hit the 12 months, but am i now stuck in another 12 month contract because my line rental has now been switched over?? Sounds like a devious trick to me.

If i just cancel my DD can i then get reconnected by Eircom? I'd have no problem explaining my actions in front of a judge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭asmith

I rang UTV about this a few weeks ago. As was stated earlier, the line rental is completely seperate from the Talk 12 month contract. If you cancel the Talk contract before the 12 months is up then they're entitled to chase you for the remaining months line rental. Not saying I agree with it... this is just what they told me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

yes but you dont start a new 12 month contract when the line rental is transfered to them the 12 month contract is from when you started using UTV talk i have been with them nearly a year and my line rental is only being transfered now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

From the UTV Talk website:
    4.11 You undertake to inform UTV upon termination of the Service by you. If you terminate the service within the Minimum Period you will be charged for the Service up to the end of the Minimum Period
    Minimum period is 12months, but I don't see how they can 'charge me for the service' if I cancel early when I haven't had my line rental switched over yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

What a lot of balls... There I was thinking I was finally out of contract with these shower of gowls in September but no, I have to wait until around Feb to get away from them. They're having a larf! At least this has taught people a valuable lesson; stay the hell away from utv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

https://ssl2.u.tv/talk/tc.asp?loc=ie

That has definitely changed. I reckon though that anyone who has their single billing delayed could argue that UTV did not supply the service and get out PDQ.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The link above defines the 12 month period as beginning from the "start date". The "start date" is defined as

" "Start Date" means the date that the service or any part of it is first made available to you, or when you first start to use the service, whichever is the earlier"

This would suggest that once you start using it for calls your minimum period begins so our time spent waiting for single billing also counts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Just cancel the Direct debit on the fookers. you won't be able to go back to them but who would want to!

Advertisement