Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading looking for advice

Options
  • 27-05-2005 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

this system will be used to overclock so im buying ram/mobo/cpu/hsf

so far im looking at socket 939 ddr 4800 ( will lower it to 3200 speeds for overclocking value )

i have a agp card so i dont wana change it i will if i have to but dont wana

which processor should i buy

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 90nm

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 90nm

OCZ 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC4800 Dual Channel Platinum Series EL-DDR CAS2.5

any opinions on this ?

the heatsink is the one thing i dont know about fully and am totally unsure . any opinions will help thx !!!

edit i totally forgot about the mobo
    4x sata will be needed
    agp x8
    4x ram slots pref

any help as previously said

im also looking to buy it all from one place to cut on shipping costs

overclockets.co.uk
    jes-compute.de
    etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

Hi there

you might have a bit of trouble getting a good overclocking motherboard with socket 939 and AGP as most of these mobo,s are based on NF4 chipset with as standard will have PCI-EXPRESS and not AGP...so you may have to consider getting rid of the card if its a 939 you want ,as you can see here on the DFI website these are all there 939 socket mobo's HERE .There is a via chipset one on the ASUS site but i dont think they are any good for overclocking HERE it is here
    As far as the CPU is concerned a mate of mine is running the VENICE at it seems to be fine compared to the winchester he was running before it and as far as i know it overclock's well ..The San Diego i dont know to much about ,so i wont comment on it ...
    The memory you picked is very nice , I cant see you having to many problem,s with it and ill say you do well with overclocking it..but remember if you go with one of the DFI mobo's the is a special OCZ memory out at the moment for their DFI NF4 mobo's that runs way above the 3 volt cap that most mobo's have it HERE..But if you go with another mobo maker you will do more than well with the ram you picked...HERE is ASUS'S pick of 939 mobo's
    HEATSINKS: from what ive being reading most people seem to think that the xp120 or i think its the xp90..here is the review for it HERE...just be carefull this heatsink does'nt fit all mobo's
    I hope these help you in your quest :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

The 3000+s and 3200+s seem to overclock nearly as high as the 35 and 37s. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=888001 for an idea of what overclock you can expect.

For a heatsink you couldn't go wrong with a zalman cnps-7700 alcu. One of them will easily cool a venice core chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

forgot about the zalman yes i had one for a good while and had it hooked up to a fan crontroller and it worked a treat ..dam good heat sink ...nice on the ear aswell as doing its job well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

For an AGP s939 mobo you can't beat the epox 9npa3+. Mine can hit 340mhz FSB, prime95 stable.

Advertisement