Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line failing the test

• 27-05-2005 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

Some info: For 1.5 or so years, I'm on eircoms 150 hour/month dial up(which costs 30/month). Often, those 150 hours are not enough, and another 30-50 euro is required on top. I'm in Laytown, Meath(just below Drogheda). http://www.net1.ie wireless range covers me, I dropped them an email on tuesday, but no response frown.gif.

Eircom enabled broadband recently. Not exactly sure, but within last 2 months. I usually just check my number once a month or so.

Just to see weather I can find any one else who fails the test, searched for various surnames in goldenpages in my area. Got the number, and tested with eircom line check. Did this for over an hour. Result: out of all numbers that I could find it the estate, thats like 61 numbers, none of them failed. There were few failures, but it was not in my estate. Houses in front of me pass, houses behind me pass.

I'm I just unlucky? I started considering that phone extensions have to do something with this(found that it sometimes helps if you unplug all the extensions) cause there are two long extensions in the house.

If I unplug them from the master socket, and then wait for another test to be run, any chance that I might pass? netsource.ie says that test was run on saturday. Do netsource run the the tests, or is it eircom that does it?

I'll be giving a call to eircom and net1 on monday. And will ask for another test to be run (btw, how long do they take?) and have the extension cords disconnected. What if it fails?

Any suggestion on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

hey, well if you have ANYTHING EXTRA at all plugged into ur phone line besides the phone this will give you a fail (we have sky +) btw I have broadband nearly a year and I failed the test in the beginning because of sky +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 Mick F

Mine failed constantly after the local exchange was enabled. A couple of months ago I picked up the phone one evening to hear a weird kind of static buzz over the dial tone. I logged a call with Eircom & they repaired it.

Checked the broadband test again last month to find that my line now passed :confused:

I have Sky and two other phones, as well as modem so I'm at the REN max, yet I still passed & am now getting 859kbps down & 101kbps up on a 1Mb service.

I guess the moral is don't give up hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

If you are good a lying to people. Call up eircom saying there is something causing you to hear noise/static/something believable when making voice calls, are eircom are obligied to fix it.

Dunno what happens if they find out you are lying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out my sig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

When you call up Eircom and they fob you off with the usual stuff about being too far from the exchange, tell them your neighbour has ADSL (whether they do or not). That tends to cut through the crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭pablo321

i was failing 2.

I disconnected all internal wiring and bought a new phone.

suddenly I passed the test, I hooked everything up after DSL was installed and now everything is hunky Dorey..

Note: Make sure if you buy a new phone it is not a LCD one, I believe it drops the voltage or something.

Pablo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Eircom tend not to be 100% correct when testing lines.

They tested the one in my Dads, told him he could definately get it in so he went ahead ordered it and when the engineer came out on site,he laughed at the thought of the line passing at all.

So Eircom then insisted that there was no way he could get broadband etc so out of interest I rang iol and a few weeks later got it installed:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You may just be incredibly unlucky and have your line split. If a neighbour has ISDN or DSL then Eircom may have had to split your line in order for them to get it.

If you're on good terms with your neighbour and they pass the line test then maybe you could get them to order the DSL and then share it either by ethernet through the walls or wirelessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Had EXACTLEY the same problem, area was enabled, mine wasnt, phoned them countless times, usual story everytime.

- Live across road from exchange
    - All other houses on line pass test
    - Have only 1 phone connected

One day I got pissed calling the BB supprt, so I called the 1901 and registered a fault.

Told them that my neighbour could get it and I couldnt, now what happened next was a total shock, she actually understood what I was saying and done a test there and then for me. Actually she tested it twice and called me back with the results, suprise suprise it passed. 5 days later, the result was registered and I ordered IOL BB+ :D

Same thing thats happening with you is happening with a mate of mine, tried same routing, they gove me the usual ****e, I was practically called a liar by one rep when I told him the line came up a pass at 1 stage (which It did, he even took a screen cap).

So we sent the screen cap to eircom and complained as to why it likes to pass for a few hours and then not again. Oddly they've never replied.

Good luck.

Advertisement