Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UL School of Architecture?

• 27-05-2005 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭

I just read this in the property section of the 'Times yesterday. I definitely want to study architecture next year but want to get out of Dublin (It's either UCD, DIT or Queens Belfast which I don't want to go near). Lo and behold, a beacon of light comes yesterday with the reading that UL are setting up a school of Architecture. My brother was there for a year and said it was ****ing brilliant.

Anyone else looking into the course? I'm pretty sure they're only looking at points and not a portfolio which is good and bad. Any fool could come in, whereas with a portfolio you only have people who really want to do/are interested in the course. On the other hand, it's less work to get into a points-only course :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

dont take my response as scripture but a friend of mine who was interested in architecture did the research you did and came to same conclusionnamely queens dublin and UL, he said UL had an excellent reputation and the course was beyond repute. however take that with a pinch of salt as he changed his mind at the last minute and did HPSS instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elley

DIT is prob the best though for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

DIT???? wouldny have the facilities to do it well. Its better to go to a Uni. Not being big headed or anything, but places like UL, UCD or DCU are better equipped to deal with courses like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

If I was to go and study architecture, I'd probably pick UCD or UL. I know some UCD-heads there and have seen their coursework - looks good, but after seeing that article in the Times myself, I thought to myself: "hmmm, looks like UL gives the chance to actually push boundaries in architecture". Maybe that was the building talking, but I got the impression they're mad into Rem Koolhaas and Daniel Liebeskind. None of this conservative crap.

Then again, I'm guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elley

DIT???? wouldny have the facilities to do it well. Its better to go to a Uni. Not being big headed or anything, but places like UL, UCD or DCU are better equipped to deal with courses like that

Just cos Bolton street is well recognised and are more practical based

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

ul architecture ehh

If they get the students to design the buildings, i hope you ahve a penchant for s**t brown bricks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

........dont you mean UNLESS tey get the students to desgin them that they'll be s**t brown? although that new building behind the Foundation looks good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Right, this course is now #2 on my CAO, nobody knows about it but from what I hear there's 20-30 places on offer for September. I haven't been in UL in about 4 years and my only reservation is that while Dublin and Belfast are both cities with a nightlife that Limerick is in effect nothing more than a big town on an big river. Can anyone tell me how many are in the Uni, what's Limerick like for going out for a drink, etc.?

Well theres about 10,000 people who go to UL (supposidly)

That, supposidly, makes up about 1/5th of limericks population.

Nightlife, well I hate nightclubs so i'll let someone else answer that.

3 pubs in UL, stables (busy but crap) scholars (not as busy, but better) and the sports bar (never been) (All imo of course)

Generally good craic in the pubs anyways.

Anyway, UL is great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I hate nightclubs too, but i am partial to going to Costelloes, which is a complete dive but really relaxing and a good laugh, with a good smoking area (even though i dont smoke).

The Lodge is 15 mins from UL and where a lot of people go, read their opinions in other threads here. Inside in town, the popular nightclubs are Disco Mór (free in before 12 i think, but always packed) and trinity rooms (great wednesday nights, dodgy otherwise). Pubs, the high stool is closed which was practically the only place i went regularly, so i cant offer any opinions on other places.

• Advertisement

thanks... yeah that's the main thing scaring me away from limerick, ucd is a big college in a city, over 20,000 people in a city of over 1 million; belfast is as big a university with around 400,000 people, limerick's not even twice the size of navan anymore! well im not talking specifically about clubs, im not a great man for clubs myself, pubs, gigs, concerts, any form of evening entertainment really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

The population of limerick city I think is around 50/60,000. But the city boundaries are ridiculously small and once all the "suburbs"(Raheen, Caherdavin, Castletroy...) are included it goes up to well over 100,000. UL and it's student population are technically in county limerick. Now they're even extending it across the river into Clare.

It's supposed to have 3/4000 post grads and about 6000 undergrads (over 1000 of which would be on coop/erasmus at any one time).

Been at UL for 3 years now and have to say I think it's pretty good. Even if you don't like the brown buildings it is a great campus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

DIT???? wouldny have the facilities to do it well. Its better to go to a Uni.
    Yeah, when you go to uni, you be learning how to do the spelling much better wouldny you !

BTW: Limerick is a great place to study - good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

upmeath wrote:
    thanks... yeah that's the main thing scaring me away from limerick, ucd is a big college in a city, over 20,000 people in a city of over 1 million; belfast is as big a university with around 400,000 people, limerick's not even twice the size of navan anymore! well im not talking specifically about clubs, im not a great man for clubs myself, pubs, gigs, concerts, any form of evening entertainment really!

UCD is not in the city. UL is far closer to the centre of Limerick than UCD is to the centre of Dublin.

Dave wrote:
    UCD is not in the city.
    It is- it's D4, not Co. Dublin. I think you mean it's not in the city-centre...?
    Anyway the fact of the matter is Limerick is pretty small. At their current rates of growth, Bray, Dundalk, Drogheda & Navan could all have Universities too within 10 to 15 years! It's the social life I'm more worried about, I know UL has high academic repute but the location and student life can't be anything like you'll find in TCD, DIT, UCD, DCU or QUB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Funkstard

You'd be surprised at how shíte the nightlife can be in Dublin. I've heard that UCD is so big that everyone stays in their school cliques and no-one really know anyone. I live in Killiney which is about 20-30min away from UCD but I have no desire really to go there

upmeath wrote:
    It is- it's D4, not Co. Dublin. I think you mean it's not in the city-centre...?
    Anyway the fact of the matter is Limerick is pretty small. At their current rates of growth, Bray, Dundalk, Drogheda & Navan could all have Universities too within 10 to 15 years! It's the social life I'm more worried about, I know UL has high academic repute but the location and student life can't be anything like you'll find in TCD, DIT, UCD, DCU or QUB

Why not??

Everyone I know going to UCD stays with their parents, because they live in dublin. This, imo (and i've told them this) is a crap way to go to college. Best thing about college is your friends, and if you get to live with them (as i do in limerick) then it's great.

Whereas a lot of people you might meet in dublin live at home (cos its too expensive to rent, and they live 'nearby' i.e. they live in the city, the person i know takes a 1hr bus journey to UCD everyday, whereas next year I will walk 5 minutes to the center of college i.e. the scholars!)

So when you want to go 'for a pint' with them, they wont be able to go, cos they are an hour away. And we all know the best piss up sessions are the 'ahh sure we'll go for one or two' not the ones you've had planned for 2 weeks.

In limerick most people will live in a house/apartment, and will be able to come and go as they please.

I'd much prefer to be in limerick then dublin also, dublin is too big and inpersonal (imo again)

Just my 2.4 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 celticphoenix

Hey just wondering could anybody give a guess at the points needed for the new architecture course in UL??? Like some of you already mentioned the new course was a break through cause there is the obvious disadvantages in going to dublin for architecture. However considering there is only 25 places in UL and nothing has been said so far about the points im begining to wonder what im up against in chosing it as my first choice in the CAO. As there is no interviews for it this year the entry is going to be on a points basis alone. Really the only other architecture course we can compare points on is architecture at UCD. If so would the points be up in the 500's??? (cause if thats the case i think i can say goodbye to architecture.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I think youre in the wrong place to ask about leaving cert points! Most of us left the whole points idea behind us years ago after that dreaded set of exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Yeah, leaving cert board would be your best bet

Soc > Education > Leaving Cert

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sux2BYou

Peteee wrote:
    ul architecture ehh

If they get the students to design the buildings, i hope you ahve a penchant for s**t brown bricks!
    The Americans I was livin with last year kept askin when the walls were gonna be cleaned...until they were told that was their original coluor...then they got reeeealy quiet....Poor Americans with their clean campuses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 celticphoenix

Ah Thanks, see im new here so i think that might explain why im a tad lost. I'll just run along to the leaving cert board. Bye now :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

where did u here that? complete bs. i study there. the only difference between architecture in dit and ucd is that ucd hav a great architecture library. i was told this by award winning architects who studied in ucd and dit, they lecture in dit now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Funkstard

So its 530 for Architecture in UL, on par with UCD and what you should be aiming for in DIT with the interview/aptitude test.

If only they would set up an architecture course in NUI Galway, I would be set. Best city in Ireland, bar Dingle, but there's not much chance of a university being set up there!

Advertisement