Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting laptop??

• 27-05-2005 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

My parents just got broadband and i was wondering if it was possible for me to connect my laptop to it? Do i need some software or something?Help wud be appreciated!Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

If your broadband router has an ethernet port you can use a network cable to connect you laptop to it! You do not need any software. The only thing is that your laptop will need to have a network card built into it. You will need to look for something like you plug your ordinary phone socket into. The only thing is that the one for the network cable is bigger!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

What GD18 failed to say was that if the modem has both a USB connection and network connection (the bigger phone plug) then it will be possible to connect the laptop and another computer at the same time, I do it with my BB at home and it runs 3 PCs and a laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

yip forgot that info! Never connect a pc or latop to the net using a USB connection before though.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Joe if your looking for networking kit I have some going spare, several 20 odd foot lengths of network cables and some network cards for PCs. If you interested in a cable I can sell one for say €10 and the cards for 7 plus whatever the cost of postage will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭JoeKelly

Thanks lads for the help just checked the laptop there and it got a network connection port. As for the cables my brother is a big computer buff so he has loads of em! Ill give it a shot and if i have any trouble might enquire again! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

you can also use wireless networking if you router supports it.

You can pick up cheap PCMCIA wireless cards if your laptop doesn't have a wireless network card built in!

Advertisement