Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would you take a soft-top through a car wash?

Options
  • 27-05-2005 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

I probably wouldn't do this but what are your thoughts on taking a convertible through a car wash? Some people say its fine and some people say they wouldn't take any kind of car through a car wash!

I am taking a day trip to Wexford tommorrow and I wanted to have the aul MX5 cleaned beforehand but I am too lazy to buy all the cleaning products and get out and do it myself in the morning. (I will probably do this anyway)

There are a couple guys behind the Tesco near me that do a good job, they use them spray gun thingies and give your car a good clean with a sponge. They do a great job on my Focus so I was wondering if it would be ok to use them for my MX5??

What do you reckon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

A hand wash will be fine, but never would I even think of washing a car by a machine, why not use the old washing up liquid in water and a hose and do it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

astec123 wrote:
    A hand wash will be fine, but never would I even think of washing a car by a machine, why not use the old washing up liquid in water and a hose and do it yourself?

Am too lazy at the moment and I dont have a hose! haha! Its just for quick wash before I go to wexford.

So you reckon them powerful spray gun things are ok on the soft top?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Dont know - havent got a soft top

Personally.....i wouldnt dare put a soft top thru a car wash!

A car with a soft top deserves some TLC....not just lashing it thru a car wash!

The only time i use a car wash is in the winter about once a month when its pointless spending time washin it!

Any other times - i hand wash it and usually wax it ever 2nd or 3rd wash!

:)

Curran wrote:
    Dont know - havent got a soft top

Personally.....i wouldnt dare put a soft top thru a car wash!

A car with a soft top deserves some TLC....not just lashing it thru a car wash!

The only time i use a car wash is in the winter about once a month when its pointless spending time washin it!

Any other times - i hand wash it and usually wax it ever 2nd or 3rd wash!

Yea well I probably would do it myself but just dont have the time in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

So long as the spray gun stays away from the soft parts it will be fine, keep an eye on the guy washing it, or maybe go to a garage that has a self service one and do it yourself. There is such thing as a bucket you know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I would never put any car through a car wash !
    And as for using washing up liquid to wash a car :D ........the worst stuff you could ever use on a car ......it's full of salt !!

I've just spend 20 mins washing my car with my new power washer (excellent machine, €139 from Lidl).

I always use Zip Wax car wash liquid, only c.€7 for 500ml (which does c.60 washes) - and it does a brilliant job.

Get a bucket, sponge, a bottle of zip wax and a hose reel (with a trigger on the end so as not to be wasting water!) and off you go ! ;)

Failing that, go to the place that uses a power washer and sponge to clean it for you :D

py2006 wrote:
    Yea well I probably would do it myself but just dont have the time in the morning

The morning starts at midnight........get up 45mins early you lazy sh!t !!!!

Wont take any longer than 30 mins!

Bucket of warm water....hose....and chamios!

Hose down....lash the sponge onto it! Quick wash......drive down the road and run the water off......quick dry off.....SORTED!!

Curran wrote:
    The morning starts at midnight........get up 45mins early you lazy sh!t !!!!

Wont take any longer than 30 mins!

Bucket of warm water....hose....and chamios!

Hose down....lash the sponge onto it! Quick wash......drive down the road and run the water off......quick dry off.....SORTED!!

Yes I am a lazy ****!

But nobody has said under no circumstances should you use them spray gun thingies on it

Yes I am a lazy ****!

But nobody has said under no circumstances should you use them spray gun thingies on it

Ok i'll say it for you.........UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you use them spray gun thingies on it
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Just a quick note, NEVER use washing up liquid to wash your car.
    It has chemicals in it that attack tin and promote rust.

• Advertisement

oh and just to add, as my soft top is a triumph i wouldn't take it through a car wash as i would be left sitting there on the ground surrounded by rust coloured stain.

stratos wrote:
    oh and just to add, as my soft top is a triumph i wouldn't take it through a car wash as i would be left sitting there on the ground surrounded by rust coloured stain.

LOL............would the same happen to a MX5

Only kidding!

Jasus yeah........who said to use washin up liquid.......dont even use it in ur wiper wash......destroys paint work and windscreens over time!!

It's actually funny, because the Mx5 is affecting classic car prices. People are buying the mx5 over a classic because they are virtually hassle free. It's really hitting the lotus market at the moment and lots of other ragtops, my classic convertible is in my garage yet again with it's inards hanging out, whilst i await the postman. Oh well you gotta love em'.

stratos wrote:
    It's actually funny, because the Mx5 is affecting classic car prices. People are buying the mx5 over a classic because they are virtually hassle free. It's really hitting the lotus market at the moment and lots of other ragtops, my classic convertible is in my garage yet again with it's inards hanging out, whilst i await the postman. Oh well you gotta love em'.

Personally i wouldnt drive a MX5............IMO its too much of a hairdresser, wanna be a real sports car, type of car........just doesnt cut it with me!

Sorry to anyone who drives one.....im sure your not a hairdresser! Or anything like one! LOL

Have the same feeling about the Hyundai Coupe - doent cut the mustard!

Sorry folks! Cos i know ive upset a few ppl there........but only IMO !!! So relax!

totally agree with the hyundai coupe comments. can I just make one point here I think is like so obvious. at the very least before it's considered a sports car rear wheel drive !!!! how can a true sports car not be rear wheel drive ??

stratos wrote:
    totally agree with the hyundai coupe comments. can I just make one point here I think is like so obvious. at the very least before it's considered a sports car rear wheel drive !!!! how can a true sports car not be rear wheel drive ??

Havent Porsche changed to 4 wheel drive?

Its not the 4 X 4 im on about now!

yea 4 by 4 sports cars not sure on that one. probably will never have the money to find out. I drove a qauttro once briefly many years ago in the wet it's grip exceded my nerve. I still think maybe fun factor rear wheel is more fun not faster but more fun.

stratos wrote:
    yea 4 by 4 sports cars not sure on that one. probably will never have the money to find out. I drove a qauttro once briefly many years ago in the wet it's grip exceded my nerve. I still think maybe fun factor rear wheel is more fun not faster but more fun.

No no.....the new carrera is 4WD i think.........maybe i read it wrong on Topgear........was last nite when i was workin nites
    So cud be wrong!!

yea the carrera is fwd as are many of the new sports cars. I don't like the idea but hey thats just jealousy on my part.

stratos wrote:
    yea the carrera is fwd as are many of the new sports cars. I don't like the idea but hey thats just jealousy on my part.

Dont most of them have a switch to change them from 4WD to RWD so ya can trash it about a bit?

• Advertisement

Guys, since when was this post a bitching session about what is and what isn't a sports car.

Its about washing the feckin thing! Get back to the point!

py2006 wrote:
    Guys, since when was this post a bitching session about what is and what isn't a sports car.

Its about washing the feckin thing! Get back to the point!

Ok back to the point......so did you get up off ur lazy arse and wash it then.....and if you didnt.....youve wasted all our time! :D ....jokin!!

Think i will have to open a new thread for bitchin about what is and what isnt a sports car... :D .....sorry py2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I use my spray washer on my TR6 and don't find it a problem. But I don't direct the jet directly at the hood or the gaps around the windows. If you do that you will have a flooded interior in no time,

I just wet the roof with a general long distance type spray and use my sponge to clean it. then the same type jet to rinse it off. I always dry the car with a shami cloth (including the roof which is made of mohair)

Always get a perfect result with only the odd drop getting into the car :)

tr11z.jpg

Curran wrote:

Think i will have to open a new thread for bitchin about what is and what isnt a sports car... :D .....sorry py2006

Actually that was nothing to do with me, a friend of mine hijacked my ID and used to to leave his comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Silvera wrote:
    I would never put any car through a car wash !

yea those automatic washes are dangerous. The bristles destroy the paint. The guy that owned my car before me must of put it through some of these washes, you really notice it when its sunny and you look closly at the paint

the marks on the paint or swirl marks as they called can usually be polished out by Zymol wax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

The power washers were ok in the dealer I worked for, so I don't see what the problem would be

sorry for going off thread, what was I thinking. where I come from a bitching session happens between 2 dogs. live debate comes from human minds. sit boy sit !

Advertisement