Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in N.Ireland

• 27-05-2005 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

I'm thinking about making the big switch to broadband now that I've got some money. Just wondering who is the best ISP to go with? The main thing I'm looking for is an ISP with no cap on downloading and whose reliability is decent. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

You cant get any of the Irish products in NI as far as i know.. you can get UK BT etc which prob have better prices/services than in the republic anyway...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Almost all ISP's offering ADSL run off of BT exchanges unless there LLU so there basically resold products,
    The only differences is some ISP's (BT, Wanadoo) cap their DSL while others don't...maybe try www.adslguide.org ?

You might find http://www.adslguide.org/isps/compare.asp handy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

IBB operate their wireless service as NTR broadband up north,
    They have highsites on sheriffs mountain and blackmountain not sure where the rest of them are,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gothakane

I've had Broadband in Belfast since NTL first introduced it around 6 or 7 years ago. I've had a great stable service from NTL, with good pings, and they've never contacted me about overstepping the cap (and I'm a heavy bittorrent user)

I recently switched to NTR Broadband (Irish Broadband) in the hope of getting unlimited speeds, and fast uploads. But my hopes were shattered, NTR are a shambles in the North, with a 2 man tech support team, and they never reply to emails. They also make alot of empty promises like "we're having problems with <insert excuse here> but they'll be fixed within the next week".

Bottom line, NTL is ur best bet. Anything DSL based is sh*te basically, NTL use fiber optic lines into your street, BT etc use decades old copper wire with 50:1 contention in some cases. Nuff said.

Advertisement