Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premium call ripoff, not virus caused

Options
  • 27-05-2005 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭

Two neighbouring businesses have received bills with hundreds of ~10 second calls to Irish premium number 1541 xxx xxx. There were made in the middle of the night, from locked offices for hours on end. They use broadband over a LAN and have no computer equipment or fax machines connected to these lines, just basic eircom phones.

Is there anywhere I can determine the benificiary of the call. Comreg don't list 1541 in their publicly available number list. So I've to wait for Regtel to get back.

As I see it the most vunerable point at that time of night is the buildings common comms room, where someone with a laptop could connect to the lines at the eircom point.

Can anyone here see possibilities that I could be missing? I don't want to jump to conclusions based on the recorded message, in case it's an impersonation of a legit service.

Has anyone heard of 3rd partys (not the provider or Eircom) benefitting from premium calls, based on commission or similar?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

ressem wrote:
    As I see it the most vunerable point at that time of night is the buildings common comms room, where someone with a laptop could connect to the lines at the eircom point.
    Is the room recorded on CCTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

No, building's home to a collection of self employed sole traders, with a door that's difficult to close after being broken open before.

Having a camera system protecting an empty cabinet and phone ports was never considered, even the lock was neglected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The fact is who ever owns a 15xx number is making money from it.

Did you see the tv show hustle? In it the con man set up a premium rate number costing £50 a min. He would then fake breaking down etc and ask an unsupsecting person to use their phone, where he would call his number and rake in the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

heard of a situation like that before, where the night security guard had set up a premium line and would ring it from the phones in the offices where he was on guard.

Advertisement