Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What is OEM?

• 27-05-2005 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a laptop and they all come with OEM Windows. I know that when you buy a new PC it's normally OEM Windows that comes with it. But what is the differences? It's probably all just legal 'can't install on a different machine' type difference, right? Any other differences? Can you buy OEM Windows on it's own (ie without buying a new PC)? If so how much would it cost? 'Normal' Windows XP Home seems to be about €300.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

OEM means original equipment manufacturer, all it means is its sold in bulk and is sold with a machine. Simple really. And your correct it cant be installed on another machine, nothing more that would affect you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You can buy OEM software from web suppliers, but the reputable ones require you to buy hardware like a hard-drive to comply with the license.

As scan.co.uk put it

"
    PLEASE NOTE : To qualify for this licensing you need to purchase either a system, or a non-peripheral computer hardware component (which will be an integral part of the computer system which the OEM software will be installed) such as a motherboard, graphics card, hard disk, processor, keyboard, mouse. At the SAME time as the Operating System.
    "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

ressem wrote:
    You can buy OEM software from web suppliers, but the reputable ones require you to buy hardware like a hard-drive to comply with the license.

As scan.co.uk put it

"
    PLEASE NOTE : To qualify for this licensing you need to purchase either a system, or a non-peripheral computer hardware component (which will be an integral part of the computer system which the OEM software will be installed) such as a motherboard, graphics card, hard disk, processor, keyboard, mouse. At the SAME time as the Operating System.
    "

Under the terms of microsoft you do not have to buy a piece of hardware, instead if you are building a system you can avail of OEM software, if you are apart of the MS Partner Program you can buy any OEM softare Regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

If your part of the MS program you can buy OEM software but it is illegal for you to install it on a machine that is not new..

Also it is illegal for anyone to sell you OEM software that isn't going onto a brand new machine...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Syth wrote:
    But what is the differences?
    Mainly the license.

OEM's for the bigger manufacturers may have later service packs than the retail version. But that's not a biggie - some Branded OEM's CD's will refuse to do a clean install on other Brand's of PC - the generic OEM should not have this problem.

Going back to Windows 95 & NT4 the main differences in the initial releases were that the OEM version would not upgrade a previous version because it could only go on a new machine - but the NT4 OEM had a file called rollback.exe so you could reverse the upgrade :rolleyes: . (the NT4 upgrade was painfull - you could not reinstall because it expected to upgrade from a previous version) With windows 95 only the OEM version supported FAT32 or USB which I consider a kick in the teeth to those who purchased the retail version.

• Advertisement

markororke wrote:
    If your part of the MS program you can buy OEM software but it is illegal for you to install it on a machine that is not new..

Also it is illegal for anyone to sell you OEM software that isn't going onto a brand new machine...

Not true,

If you are apart of the Microsoft Partner Program as long as you own the machine you can put your OEM software on it, if it is for your own internal use you can use it, however as you have mentioned it is illigal to sell OEM software to anyone that does not have a New machine

(altho if you buy a new piece of hardware you can claim OEM aswell in the Terms)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

Blitz wrote:
    (altho if you buy a new piece of hardware you can claim OEM aswell in the Terms)

This is what confuses me a bit.. what hardware exactly.. i thought it was the processor or motherboard or is it.. could it be that you could add a hdd or memory and then still be legal

From what i can make out from OEM licencing it can be hardware specific, for example if your changing primary components (i.e processor or motherboard) then technically its a new pc.

changing a hard drive or memory dosnt really consitute it but if you can argue the machine is technicaly new then go for it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Board@Work wrote:
    This is what confuses me a bit.. what hardware exactly..
    I've never seen a clear definition of that on microsoft's website. There are links to an OEM site - but that's for OEM's only.

If anyone knows of a definitive link on microsofts site please let me know, because one time I looked it seemed to rant on about ports and stuff.

If your apart of the microsoft Partner Program and you have your action pack its in your System Builders Manual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

the other difference is support....

if you have OEM, the OEM is expected (EG Dell) to provide support. MS wont bother and will refer you to your OEM. This is particularly hilarious when you spend over 300eurons on office!

With retail, you are ment to get support, although I doubt it is of any use!

the other difference is support....

if you have OEM, the OEM is expected (EG Dell) to provide support. MS wont bother and will refer you to your OEM. This is particularly hilarious when you spend over 300eurons on office!

With retail, you are ment to get support, although I doubt it is of any use!
    With NT4 server retail you still had to pay $150 per incident and if they couldn't fix it you got a call credit instead of your money back. How many DAYS is the retail support for ? - that really annoyed me with project 98. The retail version would not install on NT until you put a support call in to get the first service pack. And the person you talk to isn't a microsoft employee, they probably work for HP or stream or other third party outsourced by microsoft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

With NT4 server retail you still had to pay $150 per incident and if they couldn't fix it you got a call credit instead of your money back. How many DAYS is the retail support for ? - that really annoyed me with project 98. The retail version would not install on NT until you put a support call in to get the first service pack. And the person you talk to isn't a microsoft employee, they probably work for HP or stream or other third party outsourced by microsoft.

yea, its a con alright. Id expect nothing less from Micro$hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Thanks guys. I'm only really asking because if I get a laptop I'll put Linux on it (yes I'm on of those people :) ), and I have heard it's technically sorta possible to return windows if you don't agree to the EULA. I've only seen retail versions of XP, so I was wondering what the price of OEM XP was so I'd know how much to ask as a refund.

As far as i can remember if the version of XP came with the laptop you arnt entitled to the refund, because its a tied in thing with the manufacturer. The EULA would say something about the partnership between your manufacturer and microsoft. If you didnt agree witht he EULA youd probably have to hand back the laptop :P

It is possible to get a refund on OEM. It comes from the manu rather than microsoft. And it's bloody dificult since pressing any key indicates acceptance of the agreement on first boot. Some people have videoed the first boot up.

IIRC it's only about €40 you get back. http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/18502/18502.html

Advertisement