Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock in Cork

Options
  • 27-05-2005 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

i live in Cork but I dont know much about the nightlife here. Id love to go to a rock venue. I've heard about a rock venue called "Freakscene" Is this at the Savoy centre? And what night is the Savoy club open?

Any reccomendations would be truly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

There isn't a whole lot of choice tbh.

Freakscene isn't on in the Savoy (afaik). It's on in Club One if memory serves, although I haven't been there for over a year so I really don't know.

There was Camoflague which was very cool (when it was in Henry's or the Half Moon). It used to be on in the Cruiscin Lan on Douglas Street on Friday nights, I think there still is a metal "club" running there these days called Hangar 18 or something. I don't know, I haven't been up there in ages.

Fred Zepplin's on Parlament Street, just off the South Mall, is one of the better rock/metal bars.

The Brog on Oliver Plunkett Street is a half decent rock/metal late bar, although they were playing dance in there for a while last Thursday night which confused me, although I don't normally go out on a Thursday, so it might be the norm. Theres a "rock club" upstairs in where Gorby's used to be called Dirty iirc, but I've not been there in a long time so I don't know if it's any good or anything.

The Mutton Lane Inn just off Patrick's Street is cosy and plays rock at least some of the time if my drink addled memory serves me correctly.

The Quad used to play rock and such (It's a late bar on Tuckey Street just around the corner from Hillbillys on Grand Parade (same street as Tribes, Fast Eddies and Bar Rumba *shudder*)

Ehm.

I can't think of any more off the top of my head. . I'm sure some of the other Cork people can clue you in. There was a few discussions about it on the Cork Regional Board, which you'd be doing well to check out.

Hope the above helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Drevin Fairy

Well ye know more than i do and i live there too
    I know a pub in Cobh has metal night every friday - sorry dont know the name
    After that im stuck too
    info????
    Ps: anyone looking for a bus for the slipknot concert on June 10th form Cork???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

The works on thursday nights is good. its above the Brog.Freakscene is ****e in my opinion, geneneric radio rock ****e if you ask me. them and there Franz Ferdinands. freds is alright but dodgy taps. Preachers on Washington street is alright. hmmm.....Cypress Avenue always has good gigs.

dimerocks wrote:
    Freakscene is ****e in my opinion, geneneric radio rock ****e if you ask me.

You haven't been around long have you? Freakscene used to be the best alternative/rock night in cork since from before I moved to this city (ie 5+ years ago).

The fact that rock is popular now will naturally spill over into the club, but tbh I'd be far happier hearing "radio" rock in a club than dance so I know which I prefer.

And the taps in Freds are fine. I've been drinking there for ages and I'm sensitive to bad lines and bad taps. I can't stomach a bad pint, so I wouldn't drink somewhere that I constantly got them.

i know what freakscene used to be but its ****e these days, them and their modest mouse.last good thing i remember in there was motorcycle emptiness about 3 months ago

• Advertisement

dimerocks wrote:
    i know what freakscene used to be but its ****e these days, them and their modest mouse.last good thing i remember in there was motorcycle emptiness about 3 months ago

I haven't been there in about a year so I can't comment on it. I stopped going out during the week around a year ago rather than specifically stopping going to freakscence.

I'll still have fond memories of it Henry's though. That was fun :)

i wish it was good still.oh well i just tend to head into gigs really.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thinking about how much I miss Hnery's actually brings a tear to my eyes. Since moving to Club One, Freakscene has definitely gotten more mainstream and radio-friendly, but it's still better than a lot of places.

Preachers plays good music, except it tends to get a wee bit of a Reardens crowd in there, Fred Zepp's is always good, but I'm not a huge fan of the Crúiscín Lán, mainly just due to the layout of the place. Cypress avenus, above the Old Oak always has lots of gigs on. Check out Corkgigs for times etc

For some reason I've an irrational hatred of the Old Oak. I've never really understood why. I've been there a good few times over the years with different groups etc etc. I've never had a goddamn awful night there.

I just really don't like the place or something.

*shrugs*

i think cypress avenue is a really really good gig venue. the sound is always really good, just wish they didnt put those stupid tables up in front of the stage.what have they done with the vault since it closed?and preachers is a little bit of a trendy alright. if you are looking for a quick pint with good music and erdinger the exchange is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,719 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If you're heading out tonight, the Hanger 18 thing Nesf mentioned is on in the cruiscín lán from bout half 11. tis on every second friday €5/6.
    Only recommended if you like your metal, wont be even a hint of anything mainstream.

Dirty (works - where gorby's used be) is alright, think its finished now till college restarts.

Freakscene is dodgy out these days i think, tends to get a lot of tossers at it. Was great in Henry's and then still pretty good in savoy, one kinda killed it off a bit in my opinion..used go every week year before last when in savoy, now go once every few months..

The white rooms on the coal quay has a reasonably good night on friday nights.

is it moving back to the savoy?is dirty over?****e

Advertisement