Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Oakenfold - Music for running and exercising

• 27-05-2005 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine who is into dance music has highly recommended it as great stuff to listen to when Im out for a run. He said Paul Oakenfold is the one he listens to most when running or exercising.

What individual songs would you recommend to keep me from falling over in a heap with sore legs in mid run?! :) It dosnt have to be Paul Oakenfold only.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭2tel1

Get somone to put a speaker on the end of a fishing rod and chase you down the road with one of oakie's latest hits blaring out. And as you say it need not be oakie. Ian van dahl is another choice selection. Possibly judge jules in the mix, or the man himself, Dave Pearce

God, that would keep me running for ever :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

2tel1 wrote:
    Get somone to put a speaker on the end of a fishing rod and chase you down the road with one of oakie's latest hits blaring out. And as you say it need not be oakie. Ian van dahl is another choice selection. Possibly judge jules in the mix, or the man himself, Dave Pearce

God, that would keep me running for ever :(

I sold the fishing rod and bought an ipod! Im all set! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Stay away from them Trotter, they're bold boys :)

Nah, they just happen to play the most monotonus boring ****e crap commerical dance music. Download a few essential mixes and see what you like. I suppose thats a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Id reccomend the eddie halliwell essential mix.
    Other sets to look out for, some of Johan Gielens sets very good, also Kai Tracid, ill try find some links to them later when im more awake than i feel right now :)

ps dont get an ipod :)

kinkstr wrote:
    Id reccomend the eddie halliwell essential mix.
    Other sets to look out for, some of Johan Gielens sets very good, also Kai Tracid, ill try find some links to them later when im more awake than i feel right now :)

ps dont get an ipod :)

I got one last year.. Doooont talk to me about Ipod issues.

Anyway.. Being a COMPLETE Dance music newbie, I dont even know what essential mixes are. Terrible isnt it.

Specifics people! Which ones do I need to get? eddie halliwell (Anything to Geri? :) ), Johan Gielens and Kai Tracid for starters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Workout music? Get a "Best of Dance 2004" or something similar. Eric Prydz would also do nicely

jimi_t wrote:
    Workout music? Get a "Best of Dance 2004" or something similar. Eric Prydz would also do nicely

More specifically for running really.

Register here for some Johan Gielen sets, eddie halliwell essential mix seems to be dead and i didnt find any kai tracid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Trotter wrote:
    I got one last year.. Doooont talk to me about Ipod issues.

Anyway.. Being a COMPLETE Dance music newbie, I dont even know what essential mixes are. Terrible isnt it.

Specifics people! Which ones do I need to get? eddie halliwell (Anything to Geri? :) ), Johan Gielens and Kai Tracid for starters.

Go here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=189873

For essential mixes. The Halliwell link (page 11 or 12 I think) is still live. Plus the Eric Prydz Essential mix is there as well.

Remember ..... Dance music is for life, not just for jogging!

Eddie Halliwell, eeerrr I dunno! He's a good DJ technically, which gets him some respect, but he plays muck...

But you dont care about that, you are, after all, a novice. :)

Nah seriously, get some non-cheesy popular dance. Chemical bros, some of mylo's stuff (thats touch and go, though), groove armada, Basement Jaxx. Downlaod the uptempo stuff. You cant go wrong.

If I met you and found out you were listening to oakenfold or Euphoria stuff I'd laugh at you, and take the piss for a day or two. Thats just me, sorry! :o

With the ones I suggested above, you cant go wrong. See dude, now your cool!! ;)

• Advertisement

Lads I have no intention of being the next creamfields virgin, lol.. All I want is fast paced running music :)

The last CD I bought was Il Divo..

Still want me in your gang? lol (Didnt think so)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

running music is very broad and hard to give recommendations for. anything you have preference for? More comericial stuff? fast paced? Stuff with lyrics or without?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

you waqnt ritchie hawtin - deck fx and 909 --- subtle urgent funky... it SOUNDS like running.

2tel1 wrote:
    Eddie Halliwell, eeerrr I dunno! He's a good DJ technically, which gets him some respect, but he plays muck...

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Any of the Thunderdome albums should do the trick.
    Eddie Halliwell IS a technically gifted DJ. The tunes he plays in that Essential Mix are fairly decent. He played in the Forum, Waterford, a few weeks back and he played a cracker of a set. Ah well, we all have opinions. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

lol Loobz nice way to finish your post.

"We all have opinions... but your one is wrong"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Running with dance music is a bad idea as it tends to allign your stride to the kick drum which means you train at a fixed speed and have difficulty in varying it.

Some more free flowing msuic like jungle wont do this

base2 wrote:
    Running with dance music is a bad idea as it tends to allign your stride to the kick drum which means you train at a fixed speed and have difficulty in varying it.

Some more free flowing msuic like jungle wont do this

Believe it or not, Thin Lizzy performed very well over 2 miles yesterday!! :)

Some dnb maby? Downlaod a fabio and grooverider essential mix, some nice listening there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Personnally I'd go with some bangin' gabba.

The voices tell me that gabba is good for the soul. Dirty Dirty Gabba!!!!!

Alternatively listen to some Charlotte Church or Steps, you'll run faster just to get home and rip of those earphones!!!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

you waqnt ritchie hawtin - deck fx and 909 --- subtle urgent funky... it SOUNDS like running.

Just got this last week, really good but would wonder if its a bit of a jump from not listening to dance to full on in yer face bangin' :D

In defence of Paul Oakenfold, A Voyage into trance was a great mix.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005AWID/qid=1117641846/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-0254661-3143032

Dated here as being 2001 but it was originally out in about '95 which is evident from the track listing.

Advertisement