Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Points Notification - registered mail?

Options
  • 27-05-2005 11:19pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apparently there is a 'packet' waiting for me in my local delivery office. The postman left a note today and I have 3 working days to collect it.
    Anyhow, as I don't know what it is and am not expecting anything, Im wondering is it a notification.

I think that the notification is sent by registered post (this option wasn't ticked on the an post note). Am I correct?

Also whilst on the topic & assuming that it is sent by registered post, what happens if I don't accept it? Does it go straight to a day in court?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Points notification are sent by normal mail. I got one in April for an offence on a car I sold in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

yea the fines are sent normal post. biggest get out of jail free ticket ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

stratos wrote:
    yea the fines are sent normal post. biggest get out of jail free ticket ever.

So whats the deal there?......just bin it and say you never got it ???

And what happens if u do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Proof of delivery.

Only registered post has a record of how the letter was handled, and if it was signed for and hand delivered to the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

DMC wrote:
    Proof of delivery.

Only registered post has a record of how the letter was handled, and if it was signed for and hand delivered to the address.

Yeah so what happens if you say you never got it.....assuming the lads are right in saying its sent by regular post!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

well providing you never got the notice. The next thing you get is a summons to court. This is of huge inconvenience to you as you would have just paid the fine if you got the notice. They are going to start sending them registered post shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maybe its the summons? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

careful now...

my sister-in-law ended up on court because she didn't receive the "ticket"... and the court said that it was no excuse because you have an obligation to keep your license/registration address current.
    on a 50 pound fine I had to go 1500 quid security for her. what a joke.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

woo hoo
    it was something from ebay [which I had requested delivery to my work address but somehow came to home address!]
    So still 0 points for me [not that I speed or anything!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It's only nessasary for the cops to prove they posted it not prove you ever got it. It is deemed to be correctly served if the notice is sent to the last known address and the item is not returned undelivered.

I used to get smart asses who refused registered letters with summons in them, in the hope of avoiding court. In that case if you ask the judge, he will give permission to send the summons again by regular post afterwhich it is deemed to have been served correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

kbannon wrote:
    woo hoo
    it was something from ebay [which I had requested delivery to my work address but somehow came to home address!]
    So still 0 points for me [not that I speed or anything!]

He buys something and forgets about it! What did you get anyway????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

shabbyroad wrote:
    careful now...

my sister-in-law ended up on court because she didn't receive the "ticket"... and the court said that it was no excuse because you have an obligation to keep your license/registration address current.
    on a 50 pound fine I had to go 1500 quid security for her. what a joke.

Was that the truth or was she trying it on?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

BrianD wrote:
    He buys something and forgets about it! What did you get anyway????
    I didn't forget about it. I requested that the ebay item be sent to my work address and not home address. I double checked and it still says posted to work address! However the seller was told to send it to my home addy!

Anyhow, I bought an auto-dim rear view mirror. It has a sensor in it and it Im driving at night and a car or 4x4 comes up behind me it will dim the mirror so Im not blinded!

Advertisement