Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda: yay or nae?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Skoda Fabia uses the VW Polo platform.
    The Octavia uses the Mk IV Golf/Bora platform.
    The Superb uses the Passat platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The Octavia is based on the Golf floor pan. So are VW Bora, Seat Leon / Toledo, Audi A3.
    The Fabia is based on the Polo floorpan. Same as Seat Ibiza / Cordoba.
    The Superb is not based on the current Passat floorpan (that would be the Audi A4), its actually an old model Passat floorpan stretched by 10 cm (used in Chinese made Stretch-Passats ...I believe they're used as Governement Limos there ... incidentically so is the Superb in the Czech Republik :D )

edit: ahhh ...bazz was quicker :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

peasant wrote:
    I believe they're used as Governement Limos there ... incidentically so is the Superb in the Czech Republik :D )

Why cant out Governement use cars like this....instead of stretched Merc's and high class Jets etc etc..............wasting our poxy money on their luxury! :mad:

Dont turn it into a politics thread now!

Back to the point!............Its a Yah for me on the Octavia! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm not a fan of the new Octavia exterior styling. I prefer the original Octavia especially the vRS version. Fine performance for under €27k new.

I test drove a Superb once and found the handling to be terrible, the steering was very vague. I didn't like the style of the dash either. It had too may edges and corners imo and looked very 1990s. There was overkill also on the wood around the dash and doors. The 130bhp TDi was great though but it could have done with the VW six speed gear box.

Also you can get the Fabia in vRS form but it is only available with the 130bhp TDi diesel engine.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=164523

Must be a rocket with that engine :eek:. Don't fancy paying €26k for it though.

Given the choice I would rather have an original Octavia either the 130bhp TDi or the vRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

bazz26 wrote:
    Given the choice I would rather have an original Octavia either the 130bhp TDi or the vRS.

Just to note there is no new vRS yet, they're still selling the "old" style one. The new one is due at the end of the year - if the rumors are to be believed there will be two engine options:
    a 2.0T petrol, same as the new Golf GTI (guessed to be set up for in the region of 200bhp)
    a diesel option (maybe the 2.0 TDI PD170 from the new Passat)

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Curran wrote:
    Well the Octavia cant seem to make up its mind....can it!

I mean.....its bigger than the Bora.....not much smaller than the Passat!

Either way....the VW's are over priced for what you get!! Much cheaper on the Skoda!

The mkIV golf based cars golf/bora/beetle/A3/leon/toledo/octavia all have the same wheelbase of 98.9" and have transversely mounted engines. The octavia is the biggest in terms of overall length at 177.6" followed by the toledo at 172.3" and the bora at 172.3".

The A4 and Passat have longditudinally mounted engines, a very significant difference in design, with wheelbases of 103" and 106.3" respectively and overall lengths of 176.3" and 183.9" respectively.

So in terms of overall length, the octavia falls half way between the bora and passat but in terms of cabin space and construction it's all bora.

Advertisement