Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Answer me this!

• 27-05-2005 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭

Right heres the deal !!!!

Have a set of clubs - just dont like them - dont know what it is, but just dont like em!

Heard alot of people say that 50% of the key to golf is in the head! And if you dont feel right looking down at the ball and club you havent a HOPE !!!

Been lookin around in Mc Guirks and that, and i quite like the look of a set of Nike clubs....and one or two others!

Anyways - to my question!

Are the NIKE clubs any use or are they just jumpin on the band wagon to make money?

I play off about 22 - 25........cos i havent been playing alot recently.....but will be taking it more seriously (hopeing to play at least once weekly) and i know i will drop to about 15 fairly sharpish with some practice!

If they are sh!t what would you guys recommend?......for say a 15-20 handicap!

And im sorry if you's have answered this 1,000 times!! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

nike combo ment to be good clubs for 12-18 handicaper
    nike sling shot ment to be only liked by much higher handicaper maybe 24-40

imho if your looking for being 15-20 handicaper taylormade rac os are great clubs very long very straight
    a fast track 18 :)
    then short game for any more strokes :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Cheers Okden

Will have a look at the taylormade's

Anybody else with an opinion on the matter??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Defo try the RAC O/S easy club to get to grips with and they boom. Definatly give em a buy. Buy em of ebay to save yourself about 300 euro over McGuirks.

Defo try the RAC O/S easy club to get to grips with and they boom. Definatly give em a buy. Buy em of ebay to save yourself about 300 euro over McGuirks.

Dont worry....the plan was to pick the ones i wanted and buy of good auld EBAY!!
    Cheers!

Anyone any other opinions on what clubs are nice!

These be the boys you are on about then???

Look nice!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18961&item=7158261516&rd=1

• Advertisement

their this years model, ive hit last years and they are great clubs thru the set.
    you might want to look up some user reviews on them by people who have hit both, just incase TM have changed them alot to suit a different handicap range.
    or you could probly get a new set of last years model dirt cheap on ebay.
    if you find any info that says they hit on a lower traj than last years, i wouldnt worry, last years were long straight and very high traj.

So lads,

I eventually got the chance to go to Mc Guirks and have a look at clubs...not really pushed on the Taylormade OS......but heres what i liked!

Cobra 3100 - €579..............save €207 on ebay
    Nike NDS - €450..............save €110
    Nike Pro Combo O/S - €800...............save €358
    Nike Pro Combo - €550...............save 219
    Ping S59 - €939...............save €277

The savings on EBAY included the avg $80 (€65) shipping from the USA
    I know people that work in DHL so might be able to get that a lil cheaper!

So guys......out of them 5 sets of irons......what would u purchase?
    Guessing the Pings would be a pointless buy considering my hanicap?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 golfer41

Curran wrote:
    Right heres the deal !!!!

Have a set of clubs - just dont like them - dont know what it is, but just dont like em!

Heard alot of people say that 50% of the key to golf is in the head! And if you dont feel right looking down at the ball and club you havent a HOPE !!!

Been lookin around in Mc Guirks and that, and i quite like the look of a set of Nike clubs....and one or two others!

Anyways - to my question!

Are the NIKE clubs any use or are they just jumpin on the band wagon to make money?

I play off about 22 - 25........cos i havent been playing alot recently.....but will be taking it more seriously (hopeing to play at least once weekly) and i know i will drop to about 15 fairly sharpish with some practice!

If they are sh!t what would you guys recommend?......for say a 15-20 handicap!

And im sorry if you's have answered this 1,000 times!! :o
    how's it goin'...Well lads I work for one the leading golf mags in the world which will have to remain nameless at this stage...anyway..I play off 1.5 and have been much lower over the years...even though I am still only 29!! sound like an old fart!! I got injured about a year ago and could not play AT ALL...not even putting. Back to full fitness now and I recently came across a set of Nike Sling shots with regular grahite shafts..not supposed to be low handicapers!!!! MY ARSE...they are simply the easiest and most enjoyable set of clubs I have EVER used..in fact I was laughing out loud how easy it was to play with them...put the club behind the ball and pull the trigger...wooooow...ripping low irons out of bare lies and even the wedge seems to go 150 yards without pushing...I am not back playing flat out and will never go back to blades or anything like them...In summary, there is no better set of irons...from 2 iron to wdg they are all perfect... Great value as well about 500 will get you a set of graphites...They were voted the #1 iron in the world by Golf Digest...NOT an advertising gimic....Who ever told you that golf is 50% in your head is way off...its 99% in your head. And you say that you dont like your clubs!!! seriously play more often and FIRST get your handicap down then you can comment on your clubs...I bet it I put your clubs in my hand I would show you how to use them....its not the arrow...its the person using the bow...even Faldo once said its not the putter its the puttie!!! Ok he wasn't an English teacher...but get the message!?Best of luck m a.

i agree, its not the arrow its the indian, and if your not a great warrior chief stay away from blades, not that you can get true blades anymore.

i think if you buy something on to the rac os or slingshot youll grow to love them very quick, as butch says "feel is not real", a few good cracks with clubs that fit your handicap and theyll start to have a look and feel that instills confidence.

if you got nike pro combos theyre all very sleek and shiny now but youd be back to square one feeling uncomfortable over the ball and pretty soon just pulling the 3 iron out of the bag will get you all tensed up

Anyone who has bought clubs from EBAY or from abroad get stung by customs?

How much wud i expect to pay if customs got a hold of them? Roughly!

• Advertisement

Well try to avoid buying items that ship with USP. With DHL they are instructed to accpet any amount at the door from tax etc, but not to bring the items back. UPS are ULTIMATE PRIK SERVICE. They demand the full price tax etc, and they do not give it to you until you pay them. Here is some tips

Ask the seller can he ship by USPS(united states postal serevr) or DHL. If he MUST send by UPS, make sure you copy your payment bill. The sellers will have the full purchased price on the box for tax, not what you paid, this is for insurance reasons. So if you buy UPS expect to pay some duty on them and make sure to print out a copy of your payment, so you can prove to them you only paid x amount, so you wont pay duty on the full original price.

As for clubs. If your using a ****ty set of rubbish irons and go to a good set you will notice a difference, I dont care what any pro or anything says, if you are stuck round your handicapp and cant get down and your using rubbish irons, thats a problem in itself. I have watched and witnessed guys using abd irons of 20+, but with great swing mechanics, they got new good irons and they are all off 13-. Wont guarantee it for you but I guarantee you wont be off the same handicapp for long. But this is if you have a good swing in your head and your getting all you can from your clubs. Example.

I was off 23 using a set of McGregor DX. I had a very good swing and was hitting great shots and playing really well. But I was using wilson woods+driver and those irons. I was losing mega distance. After playing against a guy who whipped me purely cause he was hitting longer, I decided to change.

I bought the TM RAC o/s. I also bought a second hand TM 540 driver. They were the easiest thing to get to grips with. I dropped to 17 in 2 rounds. After my next round i was off 15. Unfortunatly my club managers decided to withdraw me from single comps and play me in all the team events so i couldnt get cut for the rest of the summer, but after my leaving cert im going to get stuck in, I got cut to 14 there two days ago and my goal is 9, which I am well able for, since my average score is between 80-83 on a par 72 course.

Get what you feel compftbale with but the new irons out thre will help you.

And also buy a decent putter. It is THE msot important club in your bag and you want a good weight and feel no matter what your playing off, I see guys basicaly carrying round a brick on a stick and they want to know why they cant putt. Oddysee(however it spelt) are the best out there for any handicapp. Get a white hot (old ones are great and cheap) and you will be laughing when that bal sinks.

Thanks for the advice on the shipping companies!
    Mate works in DHL so will ask him for a lil more info (i.e - can he get the shipping for free :D )
    I have a decent set it think....spalding irons...which are ok to hit in the 7-PW range and crap in the 3-5 range!
    Like you - i have a wilson 1,3,5 woods.....love my 5 wood - saves me from every situation im in....lol.....but going to skip the 1 & 3......they dont even sound good when you hit a 275 drive!
    I reckon if i got a decent Driver id hit 275 everytime quite easily when i get to grips with it!
    And also buy a decent putter..
    As for the putter, i have an old Ping putter that i got from Mc Guirks 2nd hand a few years back and i love it! Never going to get rid of it....strokes the ball so sweetly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

golfer41 wrote:
    the wedge seems to go 150 yards without pushing

its not 'how' its 'how many'
    a 2 handicapper should know that lol
    I play off 7 and have a set of Ping eye 2 copper heads. (20 years old)

My advice would be find something with a decent cavity that is pleasing to your eye and from a reputable maker. Oh and with regular shafts

Dman_15 wrote:
    My advice would be find something with a decent cavity that is pleasing to your eye and from a reputable maker. Oh and with regular shafts

Was going to but myself a set of Graphite's.....and try force myself to swing a lil slower........but my swing is way too fast.......even when i say to myself now start with slow back swing....i do.....but the club always comes down like my life depends on it if i dont hit it over 300yards :o

Recently starting to get more control over that....so hopefully in a few more rounds i'll have that sorted!

A fast swing is not a bad thing. I recently increased my swing speed because i was swining too slow and making a shoddy contact. Your swing should be faster on the downswing.

Your swing should be faster on the downswing.

Oh i know that ;)

The only thing is....i try to lash it......end up overswinging on the downswing and when im trying to push everything through the ball i think put too much effort in and my weight transfers to my back foot too much and i top the ball!

But im so out of practice....it not funny!
    Getting my head down and playing at least once a week....so i will have stupid mistakes sorted quickly and see them 100+ score cards disappear soon....hopefully :rolleyes:

well atleast you know where you are going wrong. Here is some advice. Completely slow down, like really slow and strike a few balls, on the actual course, you will lose distane but you will go straight. Then as you see your hitting it straight with nice contact, speed up your downswing. This generates spin on the ball, but will also give you distance.

Will give it a go! Everythings worth a try!

Just see that you are from Swords!
    What courses do you play.....member of anywhere?

Only played a few courses myself......hoping to get a few rounds on some of the better courses.....spend a few quid to for a more enjoyable round!

Curran wrote:
    Oh i know that ;)

The only thing is....i try to lash it......end up overswinging on the downswing and when im trying to push everything through the ball i think put too much effort in and my weight transfers to my back foot too much and i top the ball!

my tempo gets very fast when i get in the stuck position in the backswing, if i could explain it better i probably wouldnt do it as often, but basicly fast hands will try and save a narrow swing, when i get width in my backswing my tempo slows down and distance is the same, scores are the same, its like i have 2 tempos :confused: .

if your trapped or stuck you could try more of a U swing than a V swing esp on backswing.
    an feet together 3/4 8 irons is great drill for balance, gets all the gears in sync

• Advertisement

The feet together and 3/4 swing with the 8 iron sounds like a good exercise for the balance..........in theory...in my head i can understand how it works and helps...........will try it at the range next time

Cheers
    OKDEN

I am a member of HollyWood Lakes Ballyboughal. I highly recommend it except our greens are rubbish at the mo, they got serious disease last year and it will take ages to fix.

a picture saves a thousand words ;)

okden wrote:
    a picture saves a thousand words ;)

;)
    I knew what you were on about! Nice to see a pic though!!!
    ;)

Advertisement