Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Get this for a speed trap ...

Options
  • 28-05-2005 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Was on a business trip the other month in Germany. The guy driving me along a particular stretch of motorway near Frankfurt made it his point to stick strictly to the limit. (was a section with overhaed displays ....variable limit according to traffic). When I asked him why, he told me that he had gotten points in this very spot before.
    Bot not from a hairdryer / laser / gatso / van etc , no, no ...wait until you hear this ....

This particular stretch of motorway is a long downhill section where a lot of accidents happen, so they installed this variable speed limit system ...fair enough so far. But to control it, they've really gone over the top: On the other side of that downhill section, about 3 - 5 km away (depending on where on the section you are) there is another hill with a town on top. On the top of one of the high rise buildings there, they have installed the speed camera. IT IS A MODIFIED LEOPARD II (German tank) GUNSIGHT !!! Fully computerised and linked to the speed limit control computer.

Apparently it cost about 4 - 5 Million to install and has paid for itself within 3 years picking off speeding cars by the thousands from 3 - 5 kilometers away ....

Unreal, isn't it? They really got you in their sights there ...

(This is no fib ...guy showed me the picture and printouts)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

HOLY SH!T

Sounds excellent..........thank god i will never see it in Ireland in my time ;)

We just dont have the money for that sort of thing......and if we did....sure it would never pay it's self back cos it would never catch anyone

1 Because we have no high rise buildings

2 Always too cloudy......LOL......camera wouldnt be able to see me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is it like the system they use in the UK where there are two cams set at a fixed distance apart and the speed is averaged through the SPECS system?Or is it just a long range Gatso?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As I understand it it's a military spec target scanner. Anything inside the target area exceeding the momentary speed limit gets "shot" ...by camera :D

Advertisement