Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does my DSL system status mean?

• 28-05-2005 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I've read other peoples stats re SNR etc, so I'm curious about the state of my DSL service. In practice I have a perfectly acceptable 1Mb service but the number of CRC errors has attracted my attention. The uptime on my modem is gauged in weeks if that makes any difference (are those CRC errors cumulative since I last fired up the modem).

ADSL Line State: Up
    ADSL Startup Attempts: 1
    ADSL Modulation: DMT
    Datapump Version: 3.38.2
    Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin: 15.74 24.00 dB
    Line Attenuation: 54.48 31.50 dB
    Output Power: 19.49 11.97 dB
    Errored Seconds: 0 0
    Loss of Signal: 0 0
    Loss of Frame: 0 0
    CRC Errors: 9511 115
    Data Rate: 1024 128

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

if im not mistaken the downstream attenuation is in the upper limit and the output power is above the recommended ( 15dB i think ).
    You may get full speed, but im not surprised if it dips for little spikes ( rather than a constantly flat 110kb/sec from ftp.heanet.ie ). hence the CRC errors ( transmission errors )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

If its had that many CRCs since it was last turned off a few weeks ago I wouldnt be worried about it. I have very low attenuation and a good SNR and I still always have a few CRC errors on my stats page any time I look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Thanks for that. I haven't switched the modem off in ages so that probably explains all the CRC errors.

Would the above stats explain why I'm failing the Eircom line check even though I actually have a rock solid 1mb connection?

I want to change to BT, but I'm afraid to in case I get disconnected from Eircom and then BT tells me I've failed the test! Then I'd be stuck with no bb service even though I know my line can handle it.

Advertisement