Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lack of power or problem?

Options
  • 28-05-2005 10:40am
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

I got a BMW 316 about 5 weeks ago and it seems to lack punch in acceleration some times. Basically when accelerating at times nothing seems to happen. I have to ease off the accelerator and try again so to speak! Say for example I am in third gear at around 30mph and I need to increase speed, I accelerate and literally the car does not move any faster. I then take my foot off the accelerator and push again and it then kicks in. This can happen in any gear where normally you would expect to have a good increase in speed. My previous car was more powerful but I don't think its just because this is a less powerful engine. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Saturnine

Sounds like a throttle position sensor or a blocked fuel filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like either of the above or both! Which year model is it?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Hate to say ....but the BMW 316 are pretty dead as it is! But not totally lifeless!! :D

When was it serviced last.....cud be alot to things

Fuel filter, spark plugs, etc etc....the list goes on!
    Even dirty petrol..........try buying ur petrol from a different garage that you usually go to!!

Might do the trick!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

It is a 2003 model. Its a company car and I was told it was serviced shortly before I got it. I suppose given that it is a company car I should just ask for them to check it out. Only started in the job a few weeks ago so didn't want to start moaning about the car too soon!

Outside of that problem when it does move as it should do there is a huge difference in power from my last car which was a '99 318 - that was a rocket by comparison!

Thanks for the suggestions, will get it checked out.

...as for the petrol, I rarely get it in the one place as I travel around the country.

HMM strange.....and its an 03 model.....for some reason it presumed it was an older model!
    Knowing its an 03 model.....they are a lil improved on the older model in the speed dept.

Has me confused now!.........sod that.....be a moan....get them to check it out....tell them i cud save them money in the long run especially if its serious!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I'll assume it is fly-by-wire throttle, pls verify. and the bit under your foot is faulty, or something in the sensor train is faulty.
    If it were a shortage of fuel and the throttle were OK, I'd expect a splutter or a downward/stalling response, you indicate no response, good or bad.

Auto or manual?.
    Without changing anything else, If you slipped it into N or pressed the clutch, woudl it also not respond?.
    If nothing, other than a small no-load change, i'd be more convinced of the throttle sensor.

As you indicate "sometimes" it may be nothing more than a loose wire connector or ground wire, etc.

Don't know much technically about cars - flyby-wire throttle? :confused:
    Its a manual car.
    As for the sometimes, its fine if I put the foot to the floor and work my way up the gears but in normal driving it happens all the time.
    I dont know about trying it in neutral but will try it.
    Even my g/f commented when I first got the car that it seemed very slow at times, she has a 1ltr car!

FELIXDHC

Wanna get that checked out fairly sharpish.....last thing you want is to be over taking a 1lt car (ur G/F :D or any other) and get half way past and then see the 1lt car pass you on the inside again! LOL

Could be dangerous on a motorway, accelerating to find a gap in traffic on a slip road or anythin like that!
    Get your company to get it sorted! Any of the other guys drive a 316...ask them if they've had any problems like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

u need an M3 :D

Going to say it to them on Monday and there are others with the same car so must ask.

M3, would love one!!!

• Advertisement

hmmmm, ud shred the tires in 6th gear with an M3 :D

lomb wrote:
    u need an M3 :D

Or what about the M5........507 lil horseies under the bonnet waiting to get out............poxy restricted though :mad:

Or the M6......think id have the M5....slightly less assuming!!!

I was looking at an M3 down in Joe Duffys a few months ago (dreaming) and one of the staff was reversing it in the car park, big unintentional wheel spin, he looked shocked himself! One day... :rolleyes:

Felixdhc wrote:
    I was looking at an M3 down in Joe Duffys a few months ago (dreaming) and one of the staff was reversing it in the car park, big unintentional wheel spin, he looked shocked himself! One day... :rolleyes:

How does the song go?.......Dreams, dreams, dreams!

Yeah - one day (the lotto)- IT COULD BE YOU !!!

Wonder how fast it can actually go in reverse??? Hmmmm
    0-60 in reverse??? Faster than my car in forward motion i would predict!

IF ONLY !!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Banjo013

BMWs are full of sensors - literally tons of them that control everything from the interior temperature of the car to the amount of fuel being fed into the engine.

If just one of them is faulty, then there will be underperformance.

Haven't a clue what's wrong with your 316 to be honest, but get the company to have it checked out. I had a similar problem on my 5 series, turned out to be a combination of throttle position sensor, oxygen sensor and camshaft position sensor.

The electronic parts are always less reliably than the mechanicals - engine bays are a hostile operating environment for them ... and usually it'll take a full diagnostic check to find out which parts are causing the problem. But once found and put right, then it'll be a totally different car.

Yeah, would be interesting to know what speed they do in reverse, probably enough to frighten the life outa me anyway!

Thanks Banjo, encouraging to know it can be solved. I know its not my car but I do have to drive it every day so it would be nice to have it on top form! When driving again today the same was happening, very annoying. Had a granny in a fiesta considering overtaking me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

watch out for those granny's, their dangerous :D

ando wrote:
    watch out for those granny's, their dangerous :D

Sure are :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

Felixdhc wrote:
    I got a BMW 316 about 5 weeks ago and it seems to lack punch in acceleration some times. Basically when accelerating at times nothing seems to happen. I have to ease off the accelerator and try again so to speak! Say for example I am in third gear at around 30mph and I need to increase speed, I accelerate and literally the car does not move any faster. I then take my foot off the accelerator and push again and it then kicks in. This can happen in any gear where normally you would expect to have a good increase in speed. My previous car was more powerful but I don't think its just because this is a less powerful engine. Any thoughts?

Is it an automatic? for automatics you need to lift off to get the car to kick down a gear.

Fecking hate autos - brick myself when passing out - "come'on kick down, com'on com'on..."

comanche wrote:
    Is it an automatic? for automatics you need to lift off to get the car to kick down a gear.

Fecking hate autos - brick myself when passing out - "come'on kick down, com'on com'on..."

u need a automatic 745i :D
    will melt the tires like an M3 though for the more 'mature' customer ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement